By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Xbox Fitness : Kinect´s Killer App? free to Gold Members 1st year!

Hype level is :

high 23 31.51%

rising 10 13.70%

meh 17 23.29%

fitness ? lol 22 30.14%

Total:72

Sounds like a cool application, but I take issue with some of the arguments in the article. First, there's no mention at all of the Wii Fit series, the success of which clearly inspired this application, even if it has different bells and whistles. Second, the notion that this application is more important than the launch window line-up is misguided, in my opinion. I don't think consumers are going to purchase a $500 Xbox One and pay yearly subscriptions to get access to a fitness application, famous workout gurus notwithstanding, when they could choose a number of less expensive alternatives: get a gym membership, download some fitness videos, or, if they're intent on "gamifying" fitness, buy a Wii U and Wii Fit U. This last option would be particularly useful and cost-effective to the over 20 million people who already invested in Wii Fit Plus. For $20 they can upgrade to Wii Fit U (with "Fit Meter") and transfer all data from Wii Fit Plus over to Wii Fit U.

Is this a nice application and extra selling point for fitness fans who have zero interest in Wii U and lots of interest in Microsoft exclusives? Yes. But I don't see this as any type of killer app, especially considering the high cost of entry for the Xbox One.

Around the Network

Free app with $60 Gold sub. Got it. It might have potential in the long run but initially probably won't have a "huge impact" on a $500 console with a $60 gold plan plus tax. Then after your first "free gold year" you need to pay a sub fee for this app.

Jesus Microsoft why do you put everything behind a paywall? Why would anyone who wants to do fitness routines buy this over the actual fitness routines that these 4 consultants already have such as P90X etc which is cheaper then this whole concept..

Blood_Tears said:
Free app with $60 Gold sub. Got it. It might have potential in the long run but initially probably won't have a "huge impact" on a $500 console with a $60 gold plan plus tax. Then after your first "free gold year" you need to pay a sub fee for this app.

Jesus Microsoft why do you put everything behind a paywall? Why would anyone who wants to do fitness routines buy this over the actual fitness routines that these 4 consultants already have such as P90X etc which is cheaper then this whole concept..

just to clarify xbox fitness isn't "free for a year".  it is "free until dec 2014" so non day-1 buyers don't get a full year.

meh. I like to play some sport/fitness games but I don't see this as a killer app.

I'll get my fitness fix from Wii Fit U and motha earth, thank you.

I'll still be getting the system though.

Around the Network
Veknoid_Outcast said:
Sounds like a cool application, but I take issue with some of the arguments in the article. First, there's no mention at all of the Wii Fit series, the success of which clearly inspired this application, even if it has different bells and whistles. Second, the notion that this application is more important than the launch window line-up is misguided, in my opinion. I don't think consumers are going to purchase a $500 Xbox One and pay yearly subscriptions to get access to a fitness application, famous workout gurus notwithstanding, when they could choose a number of less expensive alternatives: get a gym membership, download some fitness videos, or, if they're intent on "gamifying" fitness, buy a Wii U and Wii Fit U. This last option would be particularly useful and cost-effective to the over 20 million people who already invested in Wii Fit Plus. For $20 they can upgrade to Wii Fit U (with "Fit Meter") and transfer all data from Wii Fit Plus over to Wii Fit U.

Is this a nice application and extra selling point for fitness fans who have zero interest in Wii U and lots of interest in Microsoft exclusives? Yes. But I don't see this as any type of killer app, especially considering the high cost of entry for the Xbox One.

I will disagree.

In the US alone, fitness is over a $100 billion dollar a year industry with the average US consumer contributing $150 per year toward fitness equipment alone but even that doesn't quite express just how much people are willing to spend on fitness.  Most people who purchase some type of cardio equipment spend anywhere from $900 to $3500 on a single item alone.  For strength/muscle building equipment, US consumers pay anywhere from $10 to $400 for sets (a pair of weights to a complete set).  That's just to get started and it doesn't include things like books which are a $500+ million dollar a year business.

Now a lot of gyms offer both equipment and cardio programs, so likely a better alternative most would say.  The average price of a gym membership is $55 per month.  Yearly, that figures in around $660.  There will still be equipment you buy, like workout gear and mats, etc, so even that price will be slightly higher.

A 90-day cardio program like P90X cost over $300.  A gym membership, $660.  If we go with averages on equipment, $150.  Grand total, $1,110.  And those prices don't include transportation. 

So for $500 + the cost of Xbox LIVE for 1 year, you're talking $560.  Whether you're a man or a woman, whether your serious or non-committal, you pay the same.  So for the persons who don't get into fitness programs, but want to try something this is a very inexpensive alternative.  Now, realistically, you're still going to get equipment.  For some of the exercises used in Xbox Fitness, you'll need dumbbells and you'll likely want a mat.  Mats and dumbbells sets are cheap. 

As for Wii Fit, the general concensous is it's beneficial for older adults to get them moving, but if what you want is to build strength or endurance than Wii Fit does neither.  Walking actually offers about the same calorie burning as Wii Fit's most challenging exercise options. 

Adinnieken said:
Veknoid_Outcast said:

I will disagree.

In the US alone, fitness is over a $100 billion dollar a year industry with the average US consumer contributing $150 per year toward fitness equipment alone but even that doesn't quite express just how much people are willing to spend on fitness.  Most people who purchase some type of cardio equipment spend anywhere from $900 to $3500 on a single item alone.  For strength/muscle building equipment, US consumers pay anywhere from $10 to $400 for sets (a pair of weights to a complete set).  That's just to get started and it doesn't include things like books which are a $500+ million dollar a year business.

Now a lot of gyms offer both equipment and cardio programs, so likely a better alternative most would say.  The average price of a gym membership is $55 per month.  Yearly, that figures in around $660.  There will still be equipment you buy, like workout gear and mats, etc, so even that price will be slightly higher.

A 90-day cardio program like P90X cost over $300.  A gym membership, $660.  If we go with averages on equipment, $150.  Grand total, $1,110.  And those prices don't include transportation. 

So for $500 + the cost of Xbox LIVE for 1 year, you're talking $560.  Whether you're a man or a woman, whether your serious or non-committal, you pay the same.  So for the persons who don't get into fitness programs, but want to try something this is a very inexpensive alternative.  Now, realistically, you're still going to get equipment.  For some of the exercises used in Xbox Fitness, you'll need dumbbells and you'll likely want a mat.  Mats and dumbbells sets are cheap. 

As for Wii Fit, the general concensous is it's beneficial for older adults to get them moving, but if what you want is to build strength or endurance than Wii Fit does neither.  Walking actually offers about the same calorie burning as Wii Fit's most challenging exercise options. 

I appreciate your research into this topic, but if we're talking about people serious about strenth training with lots of disposable income, then those people will buy neither Xbox One nor Wii U. They'll hire a personal trainer, they'll hit the gym, they'll invest in equipment for the home. They won't buy a video game console so they can work out in front of the TV.

As I said, this will be a nice application for those already committed to buying an Xbox One, but I would be shocked if fitness fans, casual or otherwise, flock to a $500 system just to use this program. For casual athletes it's too expensive; for serious strength trainers, it's insufficient.

2 subscription fees is the knife to the heart for this. Would be neat otherwise, the best possible fitness game?

I think this is a very cool idea and my fiance was excited when I told her about it. She was somewhat interested in WiiFit U but this will no doubt be much better.

Any word on how much it will cost after Dec. 2014?

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Blood_Tears said:

A 90-day program with P90X is over $300.  The Xbox One is $500.  The average gym membership price is $55.  Xbox LIVE has a $60 per year subscription price.   

The Xbox One isn't a single purpose device.  Thus, a person isn't spending $300 or up to $3500 for a single purpose device that they may never use again.  They can use the Xbox One for not only playing games, Skyping with friends and family, playing music, watching TV or movies, but for a whole lot of other features that are possible via apps. 

That's a $500 one-time price, and unlike the Wii, or Wii U, won't just sit there because there aren't games or other features available if you get too lazy or bored with the workout. 

My guess is a lot of people will take advantage of this if it's advertised in fitness, health, and wellness magazines.  And I'm guessing some gamers who normally wouldn't use fitness applications will probably try it out and a percentage of them will actually actively use it. 

If you've ever listened to Major Nelson's podcast, you become very aware that the people involved with it and Microsoft in general is very up on fitness.  And it has nothing to do with their products.  FitBit and Nike Sports Band both get frequent mentions.  They may not be representative of the 20-something crowd much anymore, but they are representative of the video gaming community and like most adults over 30 are keenly aware of the need to be fit or get fit.