By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Microsoft’s Phil Harrison Explains that Xbox One’s Cloud Can Actually Improve Graphics

Tagged games:

The way ms is selling the cloud is as if we will never have a next gen console.

Around the Network

If anybody can pull it off M$ can. Belive in the cloud!

I swear this guy is such a bad omen to any company he joins.

He joined Nintendo and Sony to make the "Nintendo Playstation" and that thing was canned.

He then went with Playstation and all his PR talk was complete arrogant bullshit that was not true, including PS1 , PS2 and PSP

He hyped the living hell out of "Playstation Home" and look what it turned out.

He went to Atari and got them bankrupt in just a month 

He is now with Microsoft and everytime he talks he sounds just like the next Peter Molynuex.

Never trust/hire a bald british guy wearing a suit, ever.

PullusPardus said:

Never trust/hire a bald british guy wearing a suit, ever.

Never trust a man who has no EYEBROWS!

Wow this could be awesome! We could increase the triangle count! My favourite geometric figure *_*.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

i was right

"I think people should define the word crap" - Kirby007

Join the Prediction League http://www.vgchartz.com/predictions

Instead of seeking to convince others, we can be open to changing our own minds, and seek out information that contradicts our own steadfast point of view. Maybe it’ll turn out that those who disagree with you actually have a solid grasp of the facts. There’s a slight possibility that, after all, you’re the one who’s wrong.

Give me a call in 3 - 4 years when / IF devs have started to get there heads round this and are actually off loading anything meaningfull to the cloud, ill then pick up the XOne for half the price it is now no doubt.

Until then ill take immediate power for a lower price.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
The way ms is selling the cloud is as if we will never have a next gen console.

Well if we look to the future in say 10 years perhaps they will be in a better position to do OnLive etc and in theory you could stream stuff and not require a new console... it could then become a truly digital console... but the device you then sell is effectively a dumb terminal, but cheap to make. No more $billion dollar investments or expensive R&D, small/cheap devices that you will then sell more of and you charge for the *service*. Even better anyone with the older kit could still run the games.

Will we have the internet infrastructure by then, will users like the idea of a truly digital only console (and want to pay £50 a game)... will the fast access that games need be able to be handled by internet speeds...not sure.

One area that *might* help the online/digital/streaming in the future is mobile data services. They are still in their infancy - just like the internet back in 98 (high costs/slow speeds)... but with 4G coming, mast's being built... I really think if we move more towards a mobile/global wi-fi type situation, there is more likihood of something like this happening... because putting cables under the ground takes way to long and too costly. Unfortunately we are not there yet (as being in London at Eurogamer show proved with no 3G connection/poor internet access).

Sorry, totally off topic, but wanted to agree with your statement that it could actually happen... but it's still way in the future.

As far as the cloud right now. No to Phil is my answer. :)

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

Madword said:

Well if we look to the future in say 10 years perhaps they will be in a better position to do OnLive etc and in theory you could stream stuff and not require a new console... it could then become a truly digital console... but the device you then sell is effectively a dumb terminal, but cheap to make. No more $billion dollar investments or expensive R&D, small/cheap devices that you will then sell more of and you charge for the *service*. Even better anyone with the older kit could still run the games.

Will we have the internet infrastructure by then, will users like the idea of a truly digital only console (and want to pay £50 a game)... will the fast access that games need be able to be handled by internet speeds...not sure.

One area that *might* help the online/digital/streaming in the future is mobile data services. They are still in their infancy - just like the internet back in 98 (high costs/slow speeds)... but with 4G coming, mast's being built... I really think if we move more towards a mobile/global wi-fi type situation, there is more likihood of something like this happening... because putting cables under the ground takes way to long and too costly. Unfortunately we are not there yet (as being in London at Eurogamer show proved with no 3G connection/poor internet access).

Sorry, totally off topic, but wanted to agree with your statement that it could actually happen... but it's still way in the future.

I do not believe even next gen we will meet that requirement for internet speed (especially the UK). If it does go that way i think the idea would be much like TVs are now, you buy a TV because of the TV features then you subscribe to other services, digital TV, Netflix and/or you buy an external DVD/Blu-Ray player. If anything it would mean the death entirely of the gaming console as you could put the technology and services into the TV itself. But even now, with BBC and Netflix able to stream HD TV a stand alone blu-ray player and DVDs is still prefered by many because no service is totally reliable. A box with the hardware contained in it with the latest hardware at that would always be better than streaming.

You are right on the rest though but I'm unsure how good it will be as I'm sure companies are expecting speeds to improve and infastructure as well, which includes hardwired connections, even if Wifi does catch up, wired will also be better with less loss.

And Earl Court is a signal sink, no changing that, unless with wish to rebuild it.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
Madword said:

I do not believe even next gen we will meet that requirement for internet speed (especially the UK). If it does go that way i think the idea would be much like TVs are now, you buy a TV because of the TV features then you subscribe to other services, digital TV, Netflix and/or you buy an external DVD/Blu-Ray player. If anything it would mean the death entirely of the gaming console as you could put the technology and services into the TV itself. But even now, with BBC and Netflix able to stream HD TV a stand alone blu-ray player and DVDs is still prefered by many because no service is totally reliable. A box with the hardware contained in it with the latest hardware at that would always be better than streaming.

You are right on the rest though but I'm unsure how good it will be as I'm sure companies are expecting speeds to improve and infastructure as well, which includes hardwired connections, even if Wifi does catch up, wired will also be better with less loss.

And Earl Court is a signal sink, no changing that, unless with wish to rebuild it.

Whereabouts in the UK are you? I live in Cornwall and have a 78meg connection. Copper broadband should be much faster for the whole country and for the really rural areas 4g should be well under way by the time next gen rolls around.