By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Wii U's 2014 Line Up: Worse than 2013's?

Tagged games:

2013 has not been a stellar year for the Wii U, but the holiday lineup promises to boost the system with a fairly wide variety of major titles. My question for today is whether this hypothetical wave of success can continue into 2014.

The following are lists of the Wii U's 2013 lineups from Nintendo and 3rd parties, with only games that are retail hits or are likely to be so being shown:

Nintendo

1. Lego City
  2. Pikmin 3
  3. Wind Waker HD
  4. Wii Party U
  5. Super Mario 3D World
  6. Wii Fit U
  7. Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

3rd Parties:

1. Sonic Lost World
  2. Mario & Sonic at the 2014 Olympics
  3. Just Dance 2014
  4. Skylanders Swap Force

Total: 11 big games in 2013

Now here's the Wii U's 2014 lineup, based on known quantities

Nintendo

1. Mario Kart 8
  2. Bayonetta 2
  3. Super Smash Bros 4
  4. X
  5. Yarn Yoshi
  6. ???

3rd Parties

1. ???

I know the Wii U has had troubled times, and I think things are about to get much better for it, but that's really it for the Wii U in 2014 at the moment. I can think of no notable 3rd party games after November. Will currently unknown quantities save the Wii U in 2014, or will things go badly again?

P.S. On a random note, here are some fairly likely possible projects for the Wii U that may release in 2014

• Animal Crossing 5
  • Pokemon Stadium: Generation 6
  • Endless Ocean 3

Never Mind, Donkey Kong got Delayed! 2014 is safe!

Love and tolerate.

Around the Network

They mostly keep shit to last minute before they announce something though, they only announced some games due to desperation.

Super Smash Bros. makes it worth it. Mario Kart too.

Edit: X and Bayonetta 2 will probably be pretty good as well.

Do you remember how many 2013 games had been announced at this point last year?

hahahaha. Pretty much everything I can say.

... But just to contribute something, OP, this is normal. Nintendo wants your attention on their holiday lineup, not in their 2014 games. Most likely they won't announce their 2014 plans until december or early 2014

carlos710 - Capitán Primero: Nintendo Defense Force

"Wii are legion, for Wii are many"

Around the Network

Pretty sure nothing will compare to Wonderful 101 gamewise for the rest of the gen period... But saleswise, MK and Smash are clearly the 2 biggest hitters, so in that respect 2014 is going to be huge, probably the Wii U's biggest year period regardless of any other possible games.

I think we might see the real Wii U Zelda at the end of 2014, though.

Salnax said:

2013 has not been a stellar year for the Wii U

Don't get me wrong but Wii U have great games in 2013. '-'

well there will obviously be more to come, you should know how much Nintendo love to surprise at there NDs.
Also I get w101 wasnt big but it should have been in your 2013 list, same with Wii Sports Club.
As for 2014 theres also possibly SMTxFE, FE is big enough to warrant a spot on that list.

chidori-chan2 said:
Salnax said:

2013 has not been a stellar year for the Wii U

Don't get me wrong but Wii U have great games in 2013. '-'

I think he means overall (with the drought).  As amazing as this Hoilday looks, it still doesn't make up for nearly 6 months of nothing.

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

Not exactly, many games are still unannounced. No doubt that once the wii u base goes up, so will 3rd party.

I <3 Classic Platformers!

Multi-console Owner FTW