By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - if ps3 outsells 360 how big will it make the gap?

depends when, ps3 will probably only be 10-15 million ahaead by the time the next xbox comes out (i'm guessing 2011) but the ps3 could hit 100 million if it has a 10yr lifespan in which case the gap will be very large

Around the Network

I agree with starcraft,

I doubt the PS3 will put 4M in the had of the Xbox360 this year
3M or even 2M is more probable.

Time to Work !

SamuelRSmith said:
Well, if it's not even 100% certain that the PS3 will even overtake the 360, there's no way anyone will be able to do an accurate prediction of how many it will outsell it by.

CORRECT - what if MS dropped the price to $.01!!!!!!!!!!!! Then who would win? Rememeber, it's not over till it's over!!!!!!!

i think the next xbox system will come out fall of 2010 at which point the ps3 will be at most 4 million units ahead of 360. ps3 should pull to within 5 million units of the 360 by the end of this year and seeing as how 360 only has one strong market it will just slowly fade from here on out although getting the price down to $200 will give it a boost for a while.

so ps3 will probably pass 360 sometime in early 2010 and then go on to sell a few million more over the 360 in the last year or so of this gen before 360 gets killed off by the 720 and a year later ps3 gets killed off by the ps4. probably 360 around 34 million and ps3 around 37 when the xbox 720 comes out and the 360 dies. ps3 will then go on to sell a few more in its final year as it is dying and gamers are waiting for the ps4, probably ending up at about 41 million. so between the two, likely about 75 million sales lifetime. anyone who thinks the ps3 will keep selling past the launch of the ps4 needs to realize that only wildely succesful consoles do that like the ps1,ps2. the ps3 will quickly die off like all other non-winning consoles.

end of '08 predictions: wii - 43 million,  360 - 25 million, ps3 - 20 million

Games I've beat recently: Super Mario Galaxy, Knights of the Old Republic, Shadow of the Collossus

Proud owner of wii, gamecube, xbox, ps2, dreamcast, n64, snes, genesis, 3DO, nes, atari, intellivision, unisonic tournament 2000, and gameboy

i don't expect x720 release date until fall 2011 at earliest...

Around the Network

It all depends on how well the games are this year. If none of the highly anticipated games dont live up to the hype...well i guess we are all doomed as ps3 owners...well not exactly. But it would hurt us a lot. Hopefully MGS4 will prove how great the PS3 is. If HAZE ever comes out and is a great game, same with KILLZONE 2 and other exclusives do really well, in there REVIEWS and how much are sold. I believe the PS3 will close the gap this year. Hopefully get within 5 mill of the 360.

^the game that really needs to prove itself is killzone 2

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Don't expect the next Xbox to be an Xbox... The name will NEVER sell in Japan!

Good to see this site is still going 

Yea thats true...although HAZE isnt as hyped...i am kinda excited about it...but there seems to be something missing from the game that other FPS have. Like a ranking system. If it were out before RB6 Las Vegas 2...i'm pretty sure i would've bought it and it would do good. But since HAZE has no clear date. It will be overshadowed by great games that already have a name for themselves. And if KILLZONE 2 comes out before it...than for sure HAZE is lost. Also i hope KZ2 doesnt release in the same time frame as Resistance 2. Give at least 2 months apart. As of right now...HAZE is out of the competetion...and it will not sell systems.

I don't expect the next box to be called X-box 720, this recipe and image has clearly not done much good.
Microsoft will opt for different things off the line next time, trying finally to reach the masses the very first box intended to, but in order to do this they must make like Peter Moore always said and take drastic turns to improve and expand upon the image.
I do expect theirs to be the first console out next time as well, perhaps as early as 2011, not sooner I think, not if the 360 keeps moving huge amounts of software. This is probably one lesson they learned from PS2's success and also from the grievances they caused x-box owners when all support was abrubptly cut over night so to speak.