By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Should Nintendo have made the Wii U WEAKER?

Soundwave said:
If they had made basically a "standard next gen" console (or a modern Super NES if you prefer that) and really been more prepared software wise and just given third parties a more PC-like architecture to work with I think they'd be sitting pretty right now.

They could have a $299.99 console versus a $399.99 PS4 and a $499.99 XB1 with probably a 7-8 million unit head start which would only rise this holiday.

I think Sony/MS would not be able to overtake Nintendo until mid-2015 at the earliest, and that's assuming that Nintendo drops like a rock.

They very easily could've ran away with this thing if they had been more aggressive.

they will have a 299 console vs 399 and 499 ones. and by the end of the year, the difference in sales will be higher than the 5M + it will have when ps4 releases.

Around the Network
EdHieron said:
Salnax said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Wii U did not have similar sales in 2012. Nintendo over shipped and Wii U was plentiful wherever you went (ask the scalpers).

Wii Sales in 2006: About 2.9 million

Wii U Sales in 2012: About 2.2 million

Not a huge difference. A notable one, but comparable.

The difference is quite substantial as this thread shows (http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=167914 ).  It's closer to being like that between the Playstation 1 and Playstation 2 than it is to being comparable to the difference between Playstation 2 and the original Xbox.  As many sites that investigated the Wii U's architecture last Spring said, "it's not a Next Gen System" whereas XB1 and PS4 are.

I was talking about sales, not horsepower.

Love and tolerate.

Sometimes I've wondered whether Nintendo should have waited an extra year and create a more powerful console, but in retrospect, I think those thoughts were a bit foolish.  I think it's important to remember that despite Nintendo entering the eighth generation first, they're also the last to enter the HD and extensive online gaming markets.  I imagine that Nintendo needed to make the move quickly, since the longer they stayed out of those markets, the harder it would be to join them.

For example, I recall articles where Miyamoto admitted that they had initial difficulty transitioning from SD to HD development, which in turn may have delayed their early software releases.  Additionally, Nintendo has had to work on convincing HD and online gaming consumers that the Wii U is a worthy competitor in those spaces, which may be difficult due to Xbox Live and PSN membership loyalty (If Sony and Microsoft can somehow create a way for their users to not lose all of their digital libraries they've collected for their 360s and PS3s, I imagine there could be a stronger amount of loyalty for those consumers into the next generation).

Even if Nintendo did decide to wait (or ditch the Gamepad) to create a stronger console, we can't forget that Sony and Microsoft could have responded by creating more powerful consoles anyway.

Ultimately, I think that Nintendo's biggest problem wasn't the Wii U's hardware, but the position they were in by being the last to enter the HD and online gaming markets.  While their choice to go SD helped Nintendo put out the Wii at a competitive price and surpass the 360 and PS3, I think it had consequences for the upcoming generation.  Regardless, once more software gets out, I think the Wii U will do a lot better.  I don't think it will do nearly as well as the Wii, but I love my Gamecube, and I wouldn't mind if the Wii U had a similar amount of success.

Salnax said:
Max King of the Wild said:
Wii U did not have similar sales in 2012. Nintendo over shipped and Wii U was plentiful wherever you went (ask the scalpers).

Wii Sales in 2006: About 2.9 million

Wii U Sales in 2012: About 2.2 million

Not a huge difference. A notable one, but comparable.

But the Wii would continue to sell out for months to come and the Wii U has had trouble moving off shelves since 2013 started. It had a great launch, but has struggled afterwards. I'd compare its situation more to the PS3, which started well but took a while to get going.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Zero999 said:
Zekkyou said:

It is a decent jump from the PS360, but it's a long way from the PS4/Xbone. The difference isn't as big as it was this gen, but it's still very substantial. Not to mention Nintendo lack HD development experience, so the difference will appear to be even bigger for most games.

ps4/xone are no big jumps from ps360. that means a considerable jump over ps360 puts wii u closer to ps4/xone than ps360. it's not even about raw power, everything on wii u is closer to the upcoming consoles.

Yes i know the difference isn't as big as last generation, i just said that P: But no big jump from the PS360 to PS4/Xbone? lol...

PS4/Xbone games are going to look VASTLY better than WiiU games, it's as simple as that. The games shown so far are already leaps and bounds ahead of the WiiU's line up after nearly a year, and with many more big studios developing for the PS4/Xbone that gap is just going to grow.

Around the Network

The Wii U should have been near XB1 specs (and sold at the same price. It would have been a clear next gen console by itself on the market for a yr, with the (truly) definitive versions of multiplat games, etc. The gamepad should have been sold separately, and used as a way to make money back on their HW losses.

wii U should came earlier, with the same power and price.
in 2011/2012 a lot of people changed their wii for a x360, if wii U was avaliable, they would change for wii U.
Also, the dated ports wouldnt be dated, they could launch zelda SS in both systems...

Hardware does matter and so do graphics. I find it funny how people able to disregard graphics seeing as how games are usually a visual experience so no I don't want the WII U to be less powerful but more cheaper because the market mostly doesn't value it at it's current price or it's proposed price drop. 

A retard created this thread

Moderated - Kresnik.

Nintendo Network ID: Scrumptious

3DS Friend Code: 4141-2615-9052

Circle me on Google+

Do people really believe that nintendo PR bs about transitioning from SD to HD. Do people really think one of the oldest and largest game developer and publisher had trouble adding extra texture to their games. A company that was one the first develop fully polygonal games for a console, a company that at the time when game developers were struggling with 3d game development made it look easy with games like Mario 64 and OOT is having trouble with a higher resolution.

Come on vgchartz I would think members here would know better than that. What did you want Miyamoto and Iwata to say that the 3rd party companies that they foolishly trusted to bring games to their platforms like EA and Ubisoft betrayed them and now they have to space out their own titles so the lineup of games would not look that bad.

My 3ds friendcode: 5413-0232-9676 (G-cyber)