By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are games as good as they used to be?

Both, there is a shift in genres. RPG's in particular are getting worse, while shooters and action adventure games are getting better.

When I look at old RPG's like Final Fantasy IV-IX and compare then to stuff like Final Fantasy XIII, the retro games were just better. Sure XenoBlade was great, but PS1 had XenoGears and Chrono Cross. Sure have have gems like Fallout 3 and Mass Effect 3 now, which are great, but there were just more quality RPG's in the past then there are now, Remember Chrono Trigger?

Now for action/adventure, I don't think we're getting better, but we're getting more high end games. Ocarina of Time will always be for most the best Action Adventure game, but this gen we saw Uncharted 2 & 3, We saw 2 Mario Galaxy games (opposed to 1 Mario 64 game), two more Zelda's which were nearly as good, we have like 5 Assassin's Creed games, and Portal 2 is also great.

Shooters are getting better, Doom on SNES/PC was pretty horrible compared to any Halo/Call of Duty game, but to be fair Halo 1 and Call of Duty 4 will always be the best of the series IMO. Also while GTA IV and V are sandbox games and not shooters, they have improved gradually since the PS1 and even PS2 days.

----

So a bit of both, RPG's are dying, shooters are getting better.

Also handheld games are getting more plentiful, I remember Final Fantasy Adventure on GB was pretty lame, especially compared to something like Bravery Default. While Pokemon Red/Blue, Link's Awakening, Metroid II, and Super Mario Land were good, new iterations are just as good if not better, but now we have more stuff to pick from like Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, and even Uncharted.

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Around the Network
think-man said:

Are games getting better? I don't think so...

Well, it's all purely subjective, and as others point out, nostalgia can bias us towards favoring the things we grew up with as kids. While some things from our youth holds up well today, some things don't, and that includes games. I can still play and enjoy Super Mario Bros. 3 or Super Metroid, but other games I revisit don't play quite as well as they used to. I downloaded the original Gradius from the Wii VC and found it to be nowhere near as good as later games in the series. I sunk many, many hours into the original Dragon Quest (then called Dragon Warrior) after I got it as a Christmas gift in 1989, but old 8-bit JRPGs like that haven't aged all that well due to how hardware limitations limited the genre back then (quickly resolved in the 16-bit era), and I can't see myself ever wanting to go back to that game.

Sure, the 8-bit era gave us the earliest entries in the SMB, Metroid, Mega Man, Zelda, Castlevania, Contra, and Punch-Out series, as well as titles like Blaster Master, StarTropics, Battletoads, Excitebike, Duck Tales, and River City Ransom, among many others, and the 16-bit era gave us Super Mario World, Sonic, F-Zero, Super Metroid, and countless other classics as well. But every generation has also given us their own fair share of excellent games. The seventh generation has brought us The Last of Us, GTA IV & V, Super Mario Galaxy 1 & 2, the Uncharted trilogy, Halo 3, ODST, Reach, and Halo 4, Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword, the Mass Effect trilogy, LittleBigPlanet 1 & 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, BioShock and BioShock Infinite, Killzone 2 & 3, Metal Gear Solid IV, Oblivion and Skyrim, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Portal 1 & 2, the Gears of War series, Red Dead Redemption, the Batman: Arkham series, Far Cry 2 & 3, Dark Souls & Demon's Souls, Bayonetta, Braid, Limbo, Super Meat Boy, Mega Man 9 & 10, and, yes, even COD.

Gaming hasn't gotten better or worse. It's just gotten different.

Visit http://shadowofthevoid.wordpress.com

In accordance to the VGC forum rules, §8.5, I hereby exercise my right to demand to be left alone regarding the subject of the effects of the pandemic on video game sales (i.e., "COVID bump").

JazzB1987 said:

no its not just part of growing up its because the games became shitty.

Do you like RPGs? Play xenoblade when I played it I felt like I was sitting in front of my SNES and everything was fine.

Todays games are usually overpriced they are made for dumb people (everything has to be explained) to repetitive to linear (goldeneye/perfect dark stage design VS modern shooter "corridors") focus to much on VISUALS etc.

Todays games are made for dudebros and people who want to be cool (thanks to PS3 and 360 gaming became cool) not for gamers anymore because there is simply more of them out there.
Even a COD producer/dev said in an interview a week or so ago that (most) people who play COD are not gamers they are people that play COD and maybe FIFA/Madden so called mainstreamers.

He added that when he asks people if they play games they always say "no just COD and or Madden/Fifa"

The reason why games are "bad" now is because they are not supposed to be real games.
Its like Transformers. It's a popcorn movie its not art or a masterpiece.

This is right on the money!

Shadow1980 said:
think-man said:

Are games getting better? I don't think so...

Gaming hasn't gotten better or worse. It's just gotten different.

I 100% Agree with this. I think JRPG's used to be better on the SNES/PS1, but now we also have WRPG's to fill in the voids. Still there might be a small drop in the number of high quality RPG's now, but that's easily filled with the increase in the number of shooters and action/adventure games. Sure they had more platformers and action games in the past, but the number of shooters makes up for that now.

It's just different.

---

However I love RPG's and I miss the good ol days Good thing I missed out on so many PS1 gems, I have such a long backlog, I can play almost anything and it will be a new experience . So I get the best of old RPG's/Platformers/Action games and modern Shooters/Adventure/Racing games

What is with all the hate? Don't read GamrReview Articles. Contact me to ADD games to the Database
Vote for the March Most Wanted / February Results

Just speaking for myself, but I've been a gamer for almost 30 years and I think games these days are better than ever. The technology finally exists to create truly immersive worlds, with believable characters and interesting story lines. I think one reason we perceive the opposite is simply because games have become commoditized and commercialized - 20 years ago good games were rare and worth waiting for, these days a good game gets released every 2 weeks.

Around the Network

Not once did you mention better gameplay just blabbered on about better immersive environments, stories (really?). Games today are made for simpletons that have no idea about pure gameplay. I LMFAO when I put one of my sons mates (a slef confessed Halo, Uncharted, Gears, CoD fan) on a game called "DoDonPachi" and said go on show me your reflexes. Didnt last 10 seconds

"...the best way to prepare [to be a programmer] is to write programs, and to study great programs that other people have written. In my case, I went to the garbage cans at the Computer Science Center and fished out listings of their operating system." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

"Hey, Steve, just because you broke into Xerox's house before I did and took the TV doesn't mean I can't go in later and take the stereo." - Bill Gates (Microsoft Corporation)

Bill Gates had Mac prototypes to work from, and he was known to be obsessed with trying to make Windows as good as SAND (Steve's Amazing New Device), as a Microsoft exec named it. It was the Mac that Microsoft took for its blueprint on how to make a GUI.

""Windows [n.] - A thirty-two bit extension and GUI shell to a sixteen bit patch to an eight bit operating system originally coded for a four bit microprocessor and sold by a two-bit company that can't stand one bit of competition.""

It varies. Two of my favorite games from the current gen were Splosion Man and Super Meat Boy - simple gameplay mechanics that were just a ridiculous amount of fun.

I like immersive games, but just as much I like games that are simply fun to play. It's why I prefer Tomb Raider over Last of Us, sure the story in TR is utter crap next to LoU, but it was way more fun to play. Which is why MGS4 pissed me off, the game is fun to play, but you have to wait an hour between levels.

Creating a game that breaks new ground is like finding a new continent full of sexy women for me to have sex with. I'm not saying it can't be done. I'm just saying that it isn't as easy as it used to be. We witnessed games evolving from crude dots on the screen to fully realized worlds. Motion controls, quality voice acting, refined gameplay, 3D graphics--it's all been done.

You can play a game like Fez or Braid and realize that games of today pretty much stack up to anything released in the days of yesterday. Hell, you can download the games of yesterday and play them online if you want. The fact of the matter is that the best sex you ever had is the sex you had when it was brand new to you. No amount of "spicing things up" will ever compare to your memories of the good old days. Same goes for video games. Go ahead. Invite your friends to watch you have sex with your Super Nes while wearing a leather mask. The experience won't be any better than playing Halo 4. Trust me on this one.

Licence said:

Just speaking for myself, but I've been a gamer for almost 30 years and I think games these days are better than ever. The technology finally exists to create truly immersive worlds, with believable characters and interesting story lines. I think one reason we perceive the opposite is simply because games have become commoditized and commercialized - 20 years ago good games were rare and worth waiting for, these days a good game gets released every 2 weeks.

Wrong. You speak for me, too.

No

But I did start playing in 1975 so nothing in more than a decade is new and different and all games seem recycled if you've been playing this long.