By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega: Sonic Audience is ‘Clearly’ on Nintendo systems, not Playstation or Xbox

I find this statement baffling.

Just looking at sales for the franchise, and taking into account the respective install-base for each platform, there hardly seems to be a noticeable difference. Some games sold better on Nintendo platforms (exclusives, mainly), for multiplats (which exposes more of the fanbase to the game), the opposite seems more true.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Around the Network

Well one can only assume VGChartz numbers are horribly wrong, because according to the site's data, the console versions of generations outsold the console version of colors.

Sega: Clearly the Persona fans are only in Japan.

Off topic I know.

This has clearly been the case since the demise of the DC. I think after that, a lot of old Sega fans kind of migrated to the Gamecube, and Sega did put out a lot of GC games, including Sonic, Billy Hatcher, a port of Skies of Arcadia, Amazing Island, Virtua Quest, Phantasy Star Online 1 & 2, Super Monkey Ball, etc.

They tried to spread the love around, putting Shinobi on PS2, and Panzer Dragoon and Toejam & Earl on Xbox, but sadly all of those games sold like shit. I honestly think that if they had put them all on the GC, they would have sold well, since like I said, a lot of Sega gamers went to their old rival Nintendo.

As far as Sonic Generations goes specifically, a lot of people were excited because it was a solid looking Sonic game with old school style side scrolling levels. The 3D levels still kind of played like shit. But had they ported Generations to Wii, again, I think it still would have sold really well.

I'm just curious to see what their third Wii U exclusive is. I really wish the rumor of a Sonic/Mario or even Nintendo/Sega racing game were true. That could be amazing if done right.

Panama said:
Well one can only assume VGChartz numbers are horribly wrong, because according to the site's data, the console versions of generations outsold the console version of colors.

Of course, Nintendo looks like a weak proposition once we remove those dastardly handhelds from the equation.

3DS Friend Code: 0645 - 5827 - 5788
WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

Around the Network
Panama said:

That's because Colors was still doing the odd experiements with Sonic deal, even though it's apparently a really solid game, whereas there was real enthusiasm for Generations because they brought back (somewhat) old school Genesis Sonic.

Mythmaker1 said:

Just looking at sales for the franchise, and taking into account the respective install-base for each platform, there hardly seems to be a noticeable difference. Some games sold better on Nintendo platforms (exclusives, mainly), for multiplats (which exposes more of the fanbase to the game), the opposite seems more true.

Of course, if we combine the PS3 and 360-loving Sonic fans, then they would outnumber Wii-owning fans. Now, all SEGA has to do is ignore handhelds and there ya go!

WayForward Kickstarter is best kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1236620800/shantae-half-genie-hero

F0X said:
Mythmaker1 said:

Of course, if we combine the PS3 and 360-loving Sonic fans, then they would outnumber Wii-owning fans. Now, all SEGA has to do is ignore handhelds and there ya go!

That's not taking into account install base. Combined, the Wii and DS had an overwhelming majority in terms of systems sold. More importantly, there is significantly more opportunity for overlap between a console and a handheld than two consoless (afterall, someone could buy both if they also wanted a handheld experience).

In the end, though, pointing to the performance of multiplats on individual platforms vs one that required ownership of more specific platforms as a comparison is not presenting strong evidence.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

kupomogli said:

Of course Sonic sold more on Nintendo consoles. With the Wii and DS there were more owners to sell to.

But in contrast, look at Sonic the Hedgehog on the PS360. They released that game when there was practically no console base for the PS3 or 360, it was a piece of shit, and it still sold around a million each console. Not only that, but every other PS360 Sonic sold almost a million(except the Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing series.) For a series that's nine times out of 10 not very good, why are you guys complaining?

360 sold the most copies of Sonic & Sega All Star Racing Transformed. Why should Wii U get any leeway for selling less when the PS360 aren't getting any leeway for selling a million when they didn't have a large console base?

Biased Sega is biased.

Wii U version of Transformed sold as much as the PS3 version, and about 30K less than the 360 version. If anything, that should send a "it's safe to publish here" message. But regardless, I believe Sega is talking about mainline series here, not the less successful spinoffs.

We aren't just talking about Wii U here, anyway. He said "Nintendo platforms", and Sonic is a beast on DS (over 3 million sales for Sonic Rush). He's a beast on 3DS as well, with Generations selling roughly 800K despite being released in the long dark tea time of 3DS doom prophecy. Pretty much the reason why Generations managed to beat Colors in sales, in the long run - one more version, and a Nintendo one at that.

Mythmaker1 said:
F0X said:
Mythmaker1 said:

That's not taking into account install base. Combined, the Wii and DS had an overwhelming majority in terms of systems sold. More importantly, there is significantly more opportunity for overlap between a console and a handheld than two consoless (afterall, someone could buy both if they also wanted a handheld experience).

In the end, though, pointing to the performance of multiplats on individual platforms vs one that required ownership of more specific platforms as a comparison is not presenting strong evidence.

True, but it is evidence that the Sonic fanbase is alive and well on Nintendo platforms, which is all the person was implying in the actual quote. It's the article itself which spins it into a statement on how much bigger Sonic is on Nintendo systems than others.