By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - First Forza Motorsport 5 Japanese Preview from Tokyo Game Show Laments Severe Visual Degradation from E3 Build

TGS 2013: First Forza Motorsport 5 Japanese Preview from Tokyo Game Show Laments Severe Visual Degradation from E3 Build

Source: dualshockers.com

Forza Motorsport 5 was exhibited at Tokyo Game Show, exposed to the Japanese press, and we know that the Japanese are big petrolheads. They love their car games. So I was quite interested in reading their previews of the game expecting high praise considering what I saw myself at Gamescom.

The first preview is now out, ran by the popular and quite respected website Game Watch and it’s very different from what I expected.

The writer, Seiji Nakamura, laments a severe visual downgrade from what he experienced at E3. The gist of the problem is that in the Forza 5 corner of the Microsoft booth things looked so bad that the monitors seemed badly adjusted. Aliasing and jaggies were standing out.

In the Forza 5 press room the situation was even worse, with the picture quality defined as “rough” like what you’d see if the output was 720p, with a definite visual degradation from the E3 version.

Nakamura-san continues by saying that the quality simply wasn’t the same as the original Forza 5, and the version he tried at Tokyo Game Show did not reach the level of the screenshots of the game at all. He actually asked a the Japanese product manager for the game about the problem, and all he was told is that the folks at Microsoft are aware of the problem.

Before you think that Nakamura-san may be biased because he’s Japanese and Forza 5 is a Xbox One exclusive, moving past the graphical mishaps he actually gave quite high praise to the gameplay and the simulation quality.

The previous preview of the E3 build of the game on Game Watch, written by Nakamura-san himself, was also definitely glowing with praise. I’ll just tell you that its title was “The world’s ultimate racing game: Forza Motorsport 5″. That’s obviously not what someone biased against the game or the platform would write.

Around the Network

@CGI:

Wright said:

The previous preview of the E3 build of the game on Game Watch, written by Nakamura-san himself, was also definitely glowing with praise. I’ll just tell you that its title was “The world’s ultimate racing game: Forza Motorsport 5″. That’s obviously not what someone biased against the game or the platform would write.

These "NEXT GEN" consoles seem more and more pathetic every day.
Lets just focus on the gameplay shall we?

also fifth element is awesome

PullusPardus said:

Wow, you're such a douc...

PullusPardus said:

You're awesome :D

PullusPardus said:

... he praised the gameplay.  What are you even talking about?

Around the Network

Ooo Ooo

One had da Powaz of the Cloud!

and the other didnt?

Japanese Internet sucks Confirmed?

Seriously though, its very possible their setup was just messed up.

This sounds like flamebait. Maybe it was lost in translation, but it seems to me that this was a problem with the tvs/setup, not the game?

watches video sees nothing overly wrong or severely downgraded but pop up in rear view mirror

Play Me

pokoko said:
PullusPardus said:

thats what i am saying, all the talk about how good the games look , it doesn't matter because the hardware is kind of lame and not a huge step it seems, so lets just focus on the gameplay.

CGI-Quality said:
PullusPardus said:
pokoko said:
PullusPardus said:

thats what i am saying, all the talk about how good the games look , it doesn't matter because the hardware is kind of lame and not a huge step it seems, so lets just focus on the gameplay.

What exactly makes the hardware lame?

It struggles to do the basic stuff.

less than 1080p for a "Next gen" console isn't a good indication of things to come and also the fact that they're focusing too much on graphics that it hurts the performance while showing "okayish" graphics just speaks to what I am saying.

Consoles should just stick to making good games  that run good, not tech demos.