By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are some people so negative towards the "dudebro" games? What do you think of them?

Wright said:
fatslob-:O said:
Wright said:

A game is a game, no matter the style.

That's the truth but at the same time do you believe there is such things as a casual gamer or hardcore gamer ?

Yes. But what I don't believe is that being "casual" has to be seen as something negative, and being "hardcore" has to be seen as something positive.

The fact that you play Candy Crush or Demon's Souls doesn't make you a lesser or a better being. Games are games, whether you like them or not, it's up to you.

Then there should be no such thing as casual or hardcore. Alot of gamers believe that there is a difference but I call bull.

Around the Network

I dislike dudebro because they encourage stagnation of the industry. It has worsened the series Battlefield and Halo by incorporating the same system as CoD. Madden really should stop being an exclusive license as well since it is hurting the evolution of the genre. Even a single competitor really encourages advancement. It also encourages continuous sequelization. "Dudebro" basically symbolizes what is wrong with the industry: Sequels, ballooning budgets, focus on graphics over gameplay not complimenting and homogenization of genres.

My Hummingbird

3DS Friend Code: 047387541842

Wright said:

Yes. But what I don't believe is that being "casual" has to be seen as something negative, and being "hardcore" has to be seen as something positive.

The fact that you play Candy Crush or Demon's Souls doesn't make you a lesser or a better being. Games are games, whether you like them or not, it's up to you.

Then there should be no such thing as casual or hardcore. Alot of gamers believe that there is a difference but I call bull.

I think the difference lies in the game itself. Candy Crush is designed so that everyone can play and "beat it". However, no matter how you put it, Demon's Souls is only aimed at the few who are up to the challenge.

hunter_alien said:
Because they dont appear on Nintendo consoles?

I am dead serious. 90% of the criticism they get are usually from gamers who in some way or another are Nintendo fans. Anything that has a headshot in it is considered gruesome and savage, yet in the same time if one is ported, they start praising the game and its technical/mechanical superiority, when compared to other versions.

Wow, what a load of bullshit !

orniletter said:
hunter_alien said:
Because they dont appear on Nintendo consoles?

I am dead serious. 90% of the criticism they get are usually from gamers who in some way or another are Nintendo fans. Anything that has a headshot in it is considered gruesome and savage, yet in the same time if one is ported, they start praising the game and its technical/mechanical superiority, when compared to other versions.

Wow, what a load of bullshit !

Its called an opinion, and as far as I can tell thats what the OT was asking for

But you can be free to have a different one, even without throwing insults around

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

Around the Network

I'm not so fond of the most prominent genres of those types of games. Also, multiplayer is not my cup of tea either and they focus too much on that. 

I don't have them though. I just wouldn't buy them at full price. 

Wright said:
Wright said:

I think the difference lies in the game itself. Candy Crush is designed so that everyone can play and "beat it". However, no matter how you put it, Demon's Souls is only aimed at the few who are up to the challenge.

I R disappointed that you believe such a thing. :( What if those so called casual gamers don't have the time to play these types of games.

Wright said:

I R disappointed that you believe such a thing. :( What if those so called casual gamers don't have the time to play these types of games.

I guess you could say Demon's Souls could be beaten if you had enough time. Okay.

^ There you have an example on which skill is needed, and there's just no other way through it. Atlus had to develop a patch for North America and release a "Very Easy" difficulty because "Easy" was too damn hard. These games are aimed for gamers who are up to the challenge. A game that is aimed to a minority must be a game done for a special type of gamer. And if there are different type of gamers, guess you could go back to the casual/hardcore category.

DevilRising said:

The problem is, that this is what the industry has become. The reason that CoD and Madden and Halo, and Assasin's Creed, etc. sell so well every year, is because we now live in the "GameStop era" of gaming, wherein there is a whole new generation of what I refer to as "GameStop kids", who are gamers that literally only seem to care about the "big blockbuster AAA titles" that come out, that GameStop urges them to pre-order, which they do, then beat it, play it online for awhile, and then trade it back in towards their next pre-order. This is a generation of gamer that doesn't seem to value building up game collections you can be proud of. They don't seem to place high value on uniqueness, quirkiness, creativity, etc. in game design. They want the shiniest HD graphics possible, and they want the best online modes to play on XBL. That's basically what the issue many gamers have is.

I have personaly described, in a GameStop to one of their employees even (to which he genuinely laughed and agreed), that Call of Duty specifically, has become the McDonalds of gaming. "Everyone" consumes it, but it has no real substance of value. That doesn't mean their poorly made games, nor that there's something wrong with you if you enjoy playing them. However, there IS something wrong with shitting out a new iteration of a franchise every single year, with very few real changes. You just can't honestly and earnestly put in any true effort into a game's development if you are pumping them out 1 per year. And yes, I know that CoD now has now 2 but three (apparently) seperate studios making games round the clock. Maybe they'll get to the point like they were with Guitar Hero, where they were releasing more than one a year. I'm sure they would love to be able to pull that off with CoD, and at least for awhile, I do believe those same gamers would indeed buy them both in droves.

And I don't just say this making assumptions based on nothing. I've seen it, I know people that are like this personally. Buy a "AAA" game that everyone's talking about and is hyped up, play it, beat it, trade it in and never touch it again. And that's ALL they buy, Madden, CoD, Halo, Battlefield, AC, GTA, Saints Row, Uncharted, Tomb Raider, (now apparently) Elder Scrolls, etc. etc. etc.

The problem with these games, and why some refer to them as "dudebro" games, is because that's who they're aimed at, and that is their largest audience. These college age, "GameStop kids", as I said. It's a sad and unfortunate state of the industry, and quite frankly not sustainable.

I really don't think that's a recent thing, or unique to gaming, or bad. People buy games that are hyped up? Well obviously. That's why they're hyped up. To really say that there's a stagnation in the industry when you've included five different genres of game in that list is a little bit ridiculous.

You're basically calling any non-Nintendo game that sells a dudebro game. What is remotely dudebro about Elder Scrolls or Uncharted or AC? Hell, even GTA doesn't really fit the pattern of "rehashed gameplay mixed in with some mindless violence and a generic action storyline" that really characterises dudebro games for me.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective

whats a dudebro?

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st