By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why are some people so negative towards the "dudebro" games? What do you think of them?

I´m not interested in a single one of them !
Gears of War ? Battlefield ? CoD ? Yuck !

Around the Network

For me the whole thing against "dudebro" games is that they are pretty much what is mainstream in the last few years and because of that they receive a dispoportional coverage by the press, giving the impression that the market is only "dudebro" games and nothing more.

However, that is what happens with every entertainment industry. You see a lot of negativity towards "dudebro" games in forums dedicated to other genres. They complain that those games suck and that they are "all the same". However, most of those circles praise games that fans of other genres say they suck and they are "all the same". That is what happens when personal preferences are mixed in a popularity context.

As for me, I can be considered a fan of one of such niche genres that get little press coverage and praise, but I hold no grudge against the so-called "dudebro" games.

If it's not their type of game some people act like it's pure trash.

It's just haters being haters.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

Killzone isn't a dudebro game. Ask most Dude bros and they wont even know what it is. Second of all Dude bros are a huge source of profit for annualized games. They only look at the surface value of gaming and buy whatever is popular. There will always be people like them. Its like pop music, no one looks for the real stuff just to quick and easy pleasurable music. Its was eases sanity the most when you've got a hectic work schedule. Because casuals and dudebros really don't expect very much to be change and value in upping the ante in games like these are minimal. Give them some new weapons and maps once a year in COD and they are set. Give them a couple new features in FIFA or Madden and they are set until the next get where there is a graphics fidelity boost.

I don't like them personally, but I don't mind if there are many.
If there's an audience that wants them they have to be made.

Need something off Play-Asia? http://www.play-asia.com/

Around the Network
hunter_alien said:
Because they dont appear on Nintendo consoles?

I am dead serious. 90% of the criticism they get are usually from gamers who in some way or another are Nintendo fans. Anything that has a headshot in it is considered gruesome and savage, yet in the same time if one is ported, they start praising the game and its technical/mechanical superiority, when compared to other versions.

The remaining 10% comes from gaming elitists, who cannot enjoy a gaming experience until it includes 50 different gaming mechanics or a story so deep, that a giraffe could sink in it .

Dudebro games can be repetitive, loud and dumb, but its these projects that allow some more experimental ones to be created. They have 0 artistic value and they usually dont try to revolutionize the genre. They use a tried and true formula and that means that hundreds of developers and testers can keep their jobs.

Love them or hate them, they are the bread and butter of the console industry

Or maybe there are people who really dislike the game! Not everyone has the same tastes! Like me, I tried them, I hated them there is no Nintendo bias or gaming elitism just plain and pure dislike for a game!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Anfebious said:
hunter_alien said:
Because they dont appear on Nintendo consoles?

I am dead serious. 90% of the criticism they get are usually from gamers who in some way or another are Nintendo fans. Anything that has a headshot in it is considered gruesome and savage, yet in the same time if one is ported, they start praising the game and its technical/mechanical superiority, when compared to other versions.

The remaining 10% comes from gaming elitists, who cannot enjoy a gaming experience until it includes 50 different gaming mechanics or a story so deep, that a giraffe could sink in it .

Dudebro games can be repetitive, loud and dumb, but its these projects that allow some more experimental ones to be created. They have 0 artistic value and they usually dont try to revolutionize the genre. They use a tried and true formula and that means that hundreds of developers and testers can keep their jobs.

Love them or hate them, they are the bread and butter of the console industry

Or maybe there are people who really dislike the game! Not everyone has the same tastes! Like me, I tried them, I hated them there is no Nintendo bias or gaming elitism just plain and pure dislike for a game!

You are a true 1%-er my friend

Vote the Mayor for Mayor!

fatslob-:O said:
Wright said:

A game is a game, no matter the style.

That's the truth but at the same time do you believe there is such things as a casual gamer or hardcore gamer ?

Yes. But what I don't believe is that being "casual" has to be seen as something negative, and being "hardcore" has to be seen as something positive.

The fact that you play Candy Crush or Demon's Souls doesn't make you a lesser or a better being. Games are games, whether you like them or not, it's up to you.

I think much of the hate towards so called 'dudebro' gamers and/or games stems from fear.

I saw this when the PS1 launched, hugely expanded the market and moved gaming more mainstream with more realistic (for the time) and 'mature' tones. Traditional console/pc gamers felt their beloved SNES or Genisis type of gaming was being threatened, when in truth that type of gaming still exists to this day (even if it has become more niche). "Those older kids don't know what true gaming is about, heck some of them even have kids of their own!"

I saw this when Nintendo disrupted the market with the DS/Wii and started making games that appealed to people normally outside video gaming demographics (>30, maybe female, etc.). Traditional console/pc gamers felt their beloved PS2/XBOX style of gaming was being threatened, when in truth that type of gaming still exists to this day (and is actually a large part of what is now called 'dudebro gaming' ironically enough').

I saw this when Apple introduced the AppStore and a whole new demographic of people starting playing games, ones that before hand may or may not have played on handhelds. Traditional gamers felt their beloved styles of gaming was being threated, when in truth that type of gaming still exists and will continue to for a long time.

What this 'dudebro' backlash really boils down to, I think, is a relatively new wave of casual gamers being attached to a few large franchises by some very shrewd business/marketing decisions by the likes of Activision, EA, etc. playing games that they enjoy. It's not a specific console or market (as the industry is moving away from platform focus I believe) but its the same type of phenomenon.

And the open minded gamer will always benefit:
The PS1 brought us an onslaught of great games (despite the derth of shovelware it had)
The Wii and DS both have an amazing lineup of great games (despite the huge amount of shovelware they have)
The AppStore/GooglePlay, etc. actually have quite a few really good games on them (despite the absolutely massive pile of shovelware they have)
And these 'dudebro' type games, which really just boils down to: easy to pickup, but hard to master - competitive focused games, have and will produce some gems even though the majority will probably be sub-par.

Systems Currently Playing: WiiU, PS3, 3DS

Also Have: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DSLite, DSi, Android (RazorMax), iPhone (4), iPad (2)

I play dude bro games and niche JRPGs. Got a problem with that?