By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - 3DS will outsell the 360/PS3 before they outsell the Wii - But do not hold your breath on either of them outselling the Wii ever- Long live the King of last gen!

tbone51 said:
Pavolink said:
3ds won't make any year 20m during it's life cycle. Let alone outsell Wii before X360/PS3.

this year it has a chance though

Need to essentially double its holiday sales year over year though.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:
Pavolink said:
3ds won't make any year 20m during it's life cycle. Let alone outsell Wii before X360/PS3.

2DS and Pokemon won't make 3DS to sell almost 7m more than the last year. It will make the portable sell good during non holiday periods and to increase sales, but not that high. 15m and even 18m looks more realistic.

I don't see a next gen device (3DS/Vita/Wii U/X1/PS4) reaching that mark in one year.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I expect by the end of 2014 that 360 and PS3 will be past 90 million sold each although it gets tough in 2015 when game releases start to dry up for both consoles. I think PS360 will get 100 million before 3DS.

Pavolink said:
tbone51 said:
Pavolink said:

2DS and Pokemon won't make 3DS to sell almost 7m more than the last year. It will make the portable sell good during non holiday periods and to increase sales, but not that high. 15m and even 18m looks more realistic.

I don't see a next gen device (3DS/Vita/Wii U/X1/PS4) reaching that mark in one year.

My thinking is the same as yours :)

Highfive*

Not-so-proud owner of every current-gen system. 

Next-gen is upon us folks!

And some cool and inspiring quotes

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” 
― Oscar Wilde
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” 
― Bernard M. Baruch
Seece said:
tbone51 said:
Pavolink said:

Need to essentially double its holiday sales year over year though.

last year we had Paper Mario for Releases in Nov+Dec... This year we have pokemon xy, and Zelda+Mario Party! I think we will see a minimum of 18mil imo, most 21mil. 2DS will boost sales

Around the Network
spurgeonryan said:

Unless CoD and GTAV together can push the 360 and PS3 up over last year, they should be down from 2012. At that rate, it would take another 2-3 years for both of them to pass the Wii. Maybe longer as system purchases go down for both of them. Meanwhile, the 3DS seems to have gone up by a million in sales each year and this year it will go up 2-5 million compared to all of last year. So in 2-3 years as it enjoys it's golden years as a handheld, it should easily over take these two systems. The original DS had 4 years of 20 plus million sales. The 3DS can and will be a little behind the DS, but should still eek out enough to handle these two. 3DS is at about 33 million now. 12 more million this year ( 17-20 million for 2013) ... 45 million on the low end by January 1st 2014 ... 20 million 2014 ... 20 million 2015 ... 20 million 2016 ... 105 million plus by the end of 2016 and as I said this is at the low end and way behind the DS.

Quite a reasoning you have in here. Let's go one point at a time:

1 - 2012 will most probably be worse for PS3 and X360 as they become older and more distant from their peak (which was in 2010). Yet, they are holding quite well. But surpassing the Wii? I don't think we can take it as a safe bet. It may well not happen.

2 - 3DS will go up 2-5 million compared to last year? 12 more million this year? How did you come with those values?

Here are some relevant numbers regarding 3DS sales:

13.25M in 2011

14.41M in 2012

every year until 7-10 Sep:

4.82M in 2011

6.91M in 2012 (43% Up YoY)

5.97M in 2013 (14% Down YoY)

Why would 3DS sell more in 2013 than in 2012? In fact, if take these trends, the console will probably end this year selling 12.44M. Total sales would be then 40M by January 1st 2014, not 45M.

3 - Why would the system do 60M in the next 3 years? Where do those numbers come from?? Consoles usually have their peak in the 2nd year and 3DS looks to go that way. But even if I consider the system can maintain its sales (this is not low end at all), that would be ~13M every year. So 3DS would have sold 79M by the end of 2016...and that's just what PS3 got right now.

spurgeonryan said:

PS3 will be lucky to make it to 95-100 million. 360 will be lucky to make it to 88-92 million imo.

Nintendo's 3DS initial failure will still easily trounce these guys. If the 3DS which was initially deemed a failure can be this successful, how great do you think the Wii U could be?

4 - Your numbers for the PS3 and X360 are far more real, although I believe PS3 can end its sales at 105M or even 110M and X360 at 100M. But then I don't know how big could be the Wii's number. Probably 105M, who knows... I always thought Wii had won the generation but it seems the fight is still going on. Nevertheless, the 7th generation will go in history as the generation with no clear winner.

5 - You are saying 3DS (a console from the 8th generation of the handheld market) hurts PS3 or X360 (consoles from the 7th generation of the home console market)? That's ridiculous. Why don't you come up with sales of smartphones, personal computers and tablets too?

6 - How does 3DS success can make WiiU successful? You need to come up with arguments and facts that can support your logic, otherwise your sentences will be as empty as saying "If 3DS is selling worse than DS and WiiU is selling worse than Wii, when can we expect Nintendo to run out of business?".

Prediction made in 14/01/2014 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 70M      WiiU: 25M

Prediction made in 01/04/2016 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 100M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 18M

Prediction made in 15/04/2017 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 90M      XOne: 40M      WiiU: 15M      Switch: 20M

Prediction made in 24/03/2018 for 31/12/2020:      PS4: 110M      XOne: 50M      WiiU: 14M      Switch: 65M

I see 3DS following the GBA trajectory. The GBA had its peak the year FOLLOWING the release of a mainline Pokemon game. It's sales where cut short by the original DS. I predict the 3DS to reach 16 mill this calendar year. 2014 calendar year it will have its peak at 20 mill. After that it will face a downward spiral and end somewhere at the lifetime 90-100 mill mark.