By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Why do u believe PS4/One will outsell Wii U by March 31?

zorg1000 said:

I believe that both PS4 and One will pass Wii U eventually but I think it is an impossible goal for them to pass it by the end of this fiscal year. Sony plans on shipping 5m units in that time frame and with One launching in less countries and having lower pre-orders, I think its safe to say Microsoft doesnt plan on outshipping them this fiscal year but for the sake of argument lets say they plan on shipping 5m as well.

As of the end of June, Wii U has shipped 3.61m units with only 160k being from this fiscal year. I assume Nintendo has shipped more this quarter due to games like Pikmin 3, Luigi U, Wonderful 101, Scribblenauts, Splinter Cell, Disney Infinity and also a price cut at the end of the qurater to go alongside a new bundle. I think anywhere between 190-290k shipped is a realistic figure putting the total at 3.8-3.9m by the end of September.

Lets fast forward real quick to the last quarter which is Jan-Mar. If by some chance the holiday line up and price cut dont raise the baseline by much and only ships 200-300k this quarter that would bring the total to 4-4.2m shipped. Does anybody truly think that Nintendo will push out less than 800k-1m over the holidays?

From Oct-Dec Nintendo will still be fresh off the price cut and has a strong line up of high quality exclusives like Wind Waker HD, Wii Party U, Sonic Lost World, DKC Tropical Freeze, Wii Fit U, Mario & Sonic Olympics, Wii Sports Club, Mario 3D World and a few big multiplats like Assassins Creed 4, Call of Duty, Watch Dogs, Batman Arkham Origins, Skylanders, Just Dance 2014 which are a nice addition to the big exclusives. Also Nintendo is sure to start a new advertising campaign and retailers will have tons of holiday sales.

I just dont see anyway possible that Nintendo doesnt ship over 5m by the end of Mar, can anyone offer me a logical reason why they feel PS4/One will be able to pass it by then?

Because their fan boys and they want it to.. that is the only reason they need... actually.. I do see the PS4 doing better lifetime sells.. (I still say One finishes third though) and because they are also ignoring certain things... for Instance.. the Wii U.. (Much ado to Zelda and W101 as well as Pikmen and a few other titles I believe) has risen to it's highest ranking On Amazon.. The 32 GB version was ranked 546 at one time.. and went up to 104.. (Which is impressive considering Amazon themsleves don't even sell the Wii U) The 8GB edition went up from a lowly 3-5 thousand spot up to 756... the Zombie U Bundle went up from 15- 20 thousand up to 5 Thousand and something.. now normally this would be not of note.. except for the fact that the Wii U has not went down to their previous levels yet.. and does not seem to be returning any time soon... (And this was before the announced Price cut took place) So Wii U is selling strongly now.. (Of other notes.. Monster Hunter Ultimate went up to 664.. from a normal range of 10 to 15 thousand and other third party games are seeing similar jumps) So Ps4 outselling Wii U by March 31st... not likely... Wii U will probably be 6-8 million strong by the end of this year.. Sony is only shipping 5 Million.. hell it might be the middle to end of next year before the PS4 catches up and surpasses the Wii U.. and this is only if the people are willing to pay 400 dollars for a system... because by the time PS4 launches the Wii U will have enough games to make it worth it's going price.. 

Nintendo Wii by generations...

1. Wii

2. Wii U

3. Wii O U

Predictions made by gamers concerning the current Nintendo line up of games.

Pikmen 3= Little Bump to nothing. (Got Little Bump)

Wind Waker HD= Won't sell anything (The explosion happened here and at one time 4 Wii U games was in the Amazon top 100)

Super Mario 3D World= Won't help at all looks cheap. (Currently the most sought after Wii U game and continuing the Wii U increase.)

Around the Network
Ji99saw said:
History my dear Watson... History, ps1 and ps2 kicking Nintendo's ass is what I use to back my argument anything else is invalid

That reasoning seems logical.. until you realize Nintendo Kicked Sony and Microsofts Ass with the Wii.. and is Kicking Sony's Ass on the Portable front with the DS and 3DS... then your argument is invalid..  

Nintendo Wii by generations...

1. Wii

2. Wii U

3. Wii O U

Predictions made by gamers concerning the current Nintendo line up of games.

Pikmen 3= Little Bump to nothing. (Got Little Bump)

Wind Waker HD= Won't sell anything (The explosion happened here and at one time 4 Wii U games was in the Amazon top 100)

Super Mario 3D World= Won't help at all looks cheap. (Currently the most sought after Wii U game and continuing the Wii U increase.)

Should pass it eventually. End of 2014 most likely. I hope the PS4 does well. Most people don't realise the financial trouble Sony is in and how badly they need the PS4 to succeed. You can't give Microsoft a monopoly of the high end console space. They would be impossible.

Locknuts said:
Should pass it eventually. End of 2014 most likely. I hope the PS4 does well. Most people don't realise the financial trouble Sony is in and how badly they need the PS4 to succeed. You can't give Microsoft a monopoly of the high end console space. They would be impossible.

Ya they both can eventually but im just asking about the people that think they will by the end of this fiscal year.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

zorg1000 said:
Locknuts said:

Ya they both can eventually but im just asking about the people that think they will by the end of this fiscal year.

Sorry. Went off track. No, no they won't.

Around the Network

Nintendo & Microsoft will keep turning up exclusives to the point Sony can't compete and fall behind. The exclusives will determine the winner of this generation. While the Xbox One is more powerful then the Wii U, Nintendo 1st & 2nd party games is a force to be challenged. It will come down to which console have the better exclusives.

Verdict: Either Xbox One or Wii U

So I'm not sure that either will outsell the Wii U.

zorg1000 said:
fatslob-:O said:
zorg1000 said:

I'll await judgement about the WII U's demise after I see how super mario 3D world performs.

If it doesn't drastically Improve the situation then it's pretty safe to say it's doomed.

Edit: To be a little more on topic I'll add, like I said if it doesn't improve then I could see the PS4 reaching ahead. 

Why are u putting the pressure solely on 3D World? I just listed 8 exclusives that are sequels or remakes of multimillion selling franchises. In order for Wii U to fail to reach 5m by the end of this fiscal year it would have to sell less than 2/3 of what Vita did from Sept 2012-Mar 2013.

Also u didnt provide a reason why u think its possible

You realize that super mario 3D has the best chance at lifting the WII U from its woes before march 31st, right ?

The reason being is that franchises like zelda and 3D mario is dropping off and plus wind waker wasn't one of the best zelda game I've heard.

No, one single game isnt going to make or break a console, it takes a steady stream of high quality software. 3D World may very well be the biggest title of all those games listed but it cant and wont do much on its own.

What makes u think 3D Mario and Zelda are dropping off? 3D Land is on track to be the best selling 3D Mario ever and Galaxy sold similarly to Mario 64 and Galaxy 2/Sunshine sold close to the same. Twilight Princess is the best selling Zelda game if u include Wii+GC versions. If ur basing it off of Skyward Sword then that is also false since the second Zelda game on any console sells significantly less than the first, Skyward Sword has sold similarly to Majoras Mask and Zelda 2. OoT 3D is a remake and has sold like 40% of the original, if Wind Waker HD can sell 40% of the original then that would still put it around 2m.

You'd be surprised but there are very few collections that are able to reach 35% of their sales compared to their original games and plus wind waker still isn't the best zelda to put out.

zorg1000 said:
zorg1000 said:

I'll await judgement about the WII U's demise after I see how super mario 3D world performs.

If it doesn't drastically Improve the situation then it's pretty safe to say it's doomed.

Edit: To be a little more on topic I'll add, like I said if it doesn't improve then I could see the PS4 reaching ahead. 

Why are u putting the pressure solely on 3D World? I just listed 8 exclusives that are sequels or remakes of multimillion selling franchises. In order for Wii U to fail to reach 5m by the end of this fiscal year it would have to sell less than 2/3 of what Vita did from Sept 2012-Mar 2013.

Also u didnt provide a reason why u think its possible

You realize that super mario 3D has the best chance at lifting the WII U from its woes before march 31st, right ?

The reason being is that franchises like zelda and 3D mario is dropping off and plus wind waker wasn't one of the best zelda game I've heard.

No, one single game isnt going to make or break a console, it takes a steady stream of high quality software. 3D World may very well be the biggest title of all those games listed but it cant and wont do much on its own.

What makes u think 3D Mario and Zelda are dropping off? 3D Land is on track to be the best selling 3D Mario ever and Galaxy sold similarly to Mario 64 and Galaxy 2/Sunshine sold close to the same. Twilight Princess is the best selling Zelda game if u include Wii+GC versions. If ur basing it off of Skyward Sword then that is also false since the second Zelda game on any console sells significantly less than the first, Skyward Sword has sold similarly to Majoras Mask and Zelda 2. OoT 3D is a remake and has sold like 40% of the original, if Wind Waker HD can sell 40% of the original then that would still put it around 2m.

You'd be surprised but there are very few collections that are able to reach 35% of their sales compared to their original games and plus wind waker still isn't the best zelda to put out.

Link to the Past remake sold 2.7m which is like 60% of the original so that shows some consistancy when it comes to Zelda remakes. Even tho u claim Wind Waker isnt the best Zelda, it still sold 4.6m which is the same as LttP which is considered by many to be the best and was on a console with over double the sales of GC.

u didnt answer why u think 3D Mario and Zelda are declining

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Supply issues will keep the Wii U afloat as the best selling next gen system for a considerable time. Even if it ends the fiscal year with 5.5 million sales, the PS4 physically can't pass it this year. I'd guess May is when the PS4 overtakes Wii U.

Kinda doubt xbone will ever beat it.

PDF said:
PigPen said:
Nintendo & Microsoft will keep turning up exclusives to the point Sony can't compete and fall behind. The exclusives will determine the winner of this generation. While the Xbox One is more powerful then the Wii U, Nintendo 1st & 2nd party games is a force to be challenged. It will come down to which console have the better exclusives.

Verdict: Either Xbox One or Wii U

So I'm not sure that either will outsell the Wii U.

Because that happened this last gen.

Yes, cause Sony had hard times last gen.  Also, lets not forget who won last gen either.