By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Monster Hunter 4 at 2 million copies sold in Japan in just 4 days!

Tagged games:

Pineapple said:

Putting it into perspective, selling 2 million first week is incredibly rare. Only 70 games have done 2 million lifetime in Japan, so doing it in four days is quite a feat.

To my knowledge, Pokemon Black/White holds the record for highest opening week in Japan, at 2.6 million. No other Pokemon game has managed over 2 million opening week.

The second place for opening week is, again, to my knowledge, Dragon Quest 9, with 2.35 million.

The third place belongs to Final Fantasy 7, with 2.025 million, and the fourth biggest opening of all time is Monster Hunter Freedom 3 with just shy of 2 million.

If Monster Hunter 4 did indeed pass 2 million copies sold in the first week, that'll make it (most likely) the third biggest opener of all time in Japan. The link talks about shipments, though, so it's probably not going to be over 2 million sold unless it completely sells out. Still, near 2 million is simply fantastic.

Monster Hunter now really cements its place as one of the current four big franchises in Japan, alongside Pokemon, Mario and Dragon Quest. Three games (Freedom Unite, Freedom 3, Tri (all platforms) selling  4 million or more is something only Pokemon has managed.

Pokemon has 6 games over 4 million, Mario has 5, Brain Training has 2, Dragon Quest has 2, Animal Crossing has 1 (likely to become 2 as New Leaf passes 4m)  and Tetris has one. Soon, Monster Hunter is likely to have 4. That's just huge, all released in a 5 year period. That's simply huge.

Wow, thanks for putting it into perspective. Pretty cool. Dragon Quest XI should be a lock for 3DS now, but I think it's probably already been in development for a while.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
Pineapple said:

Putting it into perspective, selling 2 million first week is incredibly rare. Only 70 games have done 2 million lifetime in Japan, so doing it in four days is quite a feat.

To my knowledge, Pokemon Black/White holds the record for highest opening week in Japan, at 2.6 million. No other Pokemon game has managed over 2 million opening week.

The second place for opening week is, again, to my knowledge, Dragon Quest 9, with 2.35 million.

The third place belongs to Final Fantasy 7, with 2.025 million, and the fourth biggest opening of all time is Monster Hunter Freedom 3 with just shy of 2 million.

If Monster Hunter 4 did indeed pass 2 million copies sold in the first week, that'll make it (most likely) the third biggest opener of all time in Japan. The link talks about shipments, though, so it's probably not going to be over 2 million sold unless it completely sells out. Still, near 2 million is simply fantastic.

Monster Hunter now really cements its place as one of the current four big franchises in Japan, alongside Pokemon, Mario and Dragon Quest. Three games (Freedom Unite, Freedom 3, Tri (all platforms) selling  4 million or more is something only Pokemon has managed.

Pokemon has 6 games over 4 million, Mario has 5, Brain Training has 2, Dragon Quest has 2, Animal Crossing has 1 (likely to become 2 as New Leaf passes 4m)  and Tetris has one. Soon, Monster Hunter is likely to have 4. That's just huge, all released in a 5 year period. That's simply huge.

Wow, thanks for putting it into perspective. Pretty cool. Dragon Quest XI should be a lock for 3DS now, but I think it's probably already been in development for a while.

First week doesn't equate to first 7 days. MH4's first week will certainly be below 2 mil as it includes only Saturday and Sunday. Huge opening though considering there's another monster up for release in 3 weeks.

And I take it that is the number of *shipped* copies unless proven otherwise. It could still be at 2m with downloads but companies usually report shipments and not sales. Well, Media Create will be here soon.

Hey Sony

kopstudent89 said:
Soundwave said:
Pineapple said:

First week doesn't equate to first 7 days. MH4's first week will certainly be below 2 mil as it includes only Saturday and Sunday. Huge opening though considering there's another monster up for release in 3 weeks.

Ah, I was just assuming that the first 4 days was week 1. As it isn't, the numbers should indeed be a fair bit under 2 million.

It's still hard to say how much this will sell in the end. MH tri on the 3DS went from 525k first week to 1.93 million lifetime. 4 million in Japan is still very much within reach for MH4.

It'll be interesting to see how much it does in the west, as well. MH tri did nearly 1.5 million across all platforms. MH4 on 3DS is unlikely to reach that number, unless there's some serious advertising, but passing a million is far from impossible.

Around the Network
tbone51 said:

MH4 in 4 days sold over 2mil vs MHF3 sold 1,972,410 FW (4 Days of Sales) so ATM MH4>MHF3 by at least 30k (probably much more!)

How could it sell more than 2 million if they're announcing that they shipped 2 million?

It would have to have an extremely high sell through to have just matched MHP3.

I think 3DS HW will hover round 300K, will top Wii LT sales easily by next week. Then we got pokemon next, oosssh masive sales ahead

Buying in 2015: Captain toad: treasure tracker,

mario maker

new 3ds

yoshi woolly world

zelda U

majora's mask 3d

I'm proud to be one of those sales, It is in my opinion the best looking 3DSLL thus far.

So this include digital as well? Either way, that's darn goos!

Here lies the dearly departed Nintendomination Thread.

badgenome said:
tbone51 said:

MH4 in 4 days sold over 2mil vs MHF3 sold 1,972,410 FW (4 Days of Sales) so ATM MH4>MHF3 by at least 30k (probably much more!)

How could it sell more than 2 million if they're announcing that they shipped 2 million?

It would have to have an extremely high sell through to have just matched MHP3.

It likely includes the digital sales, but we'll see how it all went down when MC/Famitsu/Dengeki goes up tomorrow.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.