By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Is It About Super Mario 3D World That Doesn't Make It a "True" 3D Mario Game?

Soundwave said:
DevilRising said:
When people play it they're going to see it is, every bit, a "true" 3D game. People are crapping the pants and making a very big deal about nothing, going off of very little info, as per usual on internet forums.

For me I just want some good, original music tracks.

The "New" Super Mario Bros. series has crap for music, I know they think they are emulating the old Marios, but none of the new music is as good as the old Mario games. It just sounds like midi cheese.

I just don't want to feel like I'm playing a "paint by the numbers" Mario that Nintendo just sorta pooped out for the holidays. Level design is great and all, but I think the NSMB series takes it too far in terms of basically being just a "level design" showcase with barebones presentation in every other area and it's a little tiresome.

NSMBU is the first 2D Mario game in my life I won't play to completion, just because I got half way through and while it's a solid platformer ... I just realized I had no interest in continuning to play. The levels, while designed well just felt like formulaic and unfortunately I think the 3D Land/World series tries to emulate the NSMB series first and foremost.

I really like NSMBU, however NSMBWii is still unequivocally (at least in my mind) the best in the series. U has some nice touches to it, but Wii just had everything going for it: the first return of the Koopa Kids in about two decades, the first home console 2D Mario in that same span of time (Yoshi's Island was a Yoshi game), the Penguin Suit which holds a strong case for being the coolest Mario power up of all time next to the Tanooki, great level designs, far superior item inventory and Toad House system. You name it.

I agree that the music could be better. The "bwa bwa" style just doesn't really feel awesome. I'm with you there, though I don't think it's terrible.

However, Koji Kondo is back doing the music for 3D World, which is already good, and I have already heard talk of cool new versions of classic Mario tunes. So I think there's hope as far as you're concerned.

Around the Network

It doesn't matter. Looks good. It will sell well despite Wii U install base.

3DS Friend Code: 0533 - 6146 - 0418
PSN ID: atylerman5

THEY To.OK MY 3D SINGLEPLAYER MARIO...

(Southpark reference)

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

actually its the 3D word in the title

It is a REAL 3D Mario, it just doesn't look like a very GOOD 3D Mario.

It looks lazy, cheap, uninspired, and basically like a portable game in HD. That's just not good enough for a series that brought us 3 of the greatest games ever made in Mario 64 and the Galaxy games.

It's as if the sequel to Bioshock Infinite was revealed as a Call of Duty clone.