By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What Is It About Super Mario 3D World That Doesn't Make It a "True" 3D Mario Game?

KingdomHeartsFan said:
tbone51 said:
People who complain dont understand this isnt a 3D Mario Game.

Its a 2D Mario Game but it renders in a 3D Enviroment. I mean SM3DL plays just like a 2D mario without being 2D. This isn't suppose to be the successor of Galaxies.

SM3DL+SM3DW= 2D Mario. Its there, timer/levels/etc!

I kno we all wanted a mario universe/galaxy 3 but we got another 2D mario but imo it'll be better NSMBU! Just like how SM3DL>>>NSMB2! Its Multiplayer and it looks like a Blast!

A True 3D Mario game will come, unfortunately not intill 2015-2017

To be fair before the game was announced Nintendo promised a 3D mario game.  That is the main reason people thought this was supposed to be the successor of Galaxy.

your absolutely right, i was mad that they F*** up! Everybody was expecting a new 3D Mario game, but to downplay this one is wrong. EX: I understand Metroid Other M complaints cuz that was suppose to be a successor to prime series which was a disapointment in different ways, but to SM3DW is a successor to SM3DL and thats where people are mixing feelings up with. This game looks great, i'll be enjoying multiplayer just like the one on wii was great @ the time! I do feel like Nintendo Did Slap us in the face though but as long as i get a game im good! Lets hope SMG3 comes and it'll surpass SMG2!

Around the Network

It doesn't have the production values of the Galaxy games, even though I bet it cost more to make simply by the nature of HD development.

It's too linear, even though every level of every Mario game ever excepting Bob-omb Battlefield (a 'demo' or proof-of-concept level) is a fairly straightforward trek to the goal, be it a star, shine, or flagpole.

It's not an open world sandbox game like GTA which is what everyone has always wanted Mario to be ever since the original Donkey Kong arcade game.

It supports four-player multiplayer, the bane of the hardcore experience. And it doesn't even have the decency to support online multiplayer, the backbone of the hardcore experience!

Finally, the level design is trash because I say it is, and I have seen 5% of all of the levels in the game so I think I would know.

Oh yeah, and the cat suits are a dumb gimmick unlike every other Mario powerup ever which all added amazing gameplay opportunities and completely changed the nature of the game. Like the tail that let you fly over the entire level without effort. Why doesn't Nintendo have these brilliant ideas any more?

tbone51 said:

your absolutely right, i was mad that they F*** up! Everybody was expecting a new 3D Mario game, but to downplay this one is wrong. EX: I understand Metroid Other M complaints cuz that was suppose to be a successor to prime series which was a disapointment in different ways, but to SM3DW is a successor to SM3DL and thats where people are mixing feelings up with. This game looks great, i'll be enjoying multiplayer just like the one on wii was great @ the time! I do feel like Nintendo Did Slap us in the face though but as long as i get a game im good! Lets hope SMG3 comes and it'll surpass SMG2!

Tbh I was thinking about it and the real 3D Mario games like Galaxy last gen didn't sell nearly as good as the 2D one, SMBWii, so maybe this is Nintendo's way of making the 3D Mario games more like the 2D and if this sells really well tbh they might not make a successor to Galaxy.  I mean if this new style of 3D Mario games sells better is there really a point to go back to the old style?  Ofc I do want a successor to Galaxy, but it was just something I was thinking about.

Screamapillar said:
It's a 2D/3D hybrid, and it's got an isometric camera angle. So, in comparison to 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy games, it is more a cross between NSMB and 3D Land than it is a true 3D Mario game.

It's not an isometric camera angle. That would mean the characters and world only appear to be 3D instead of actually being 3D (diablo is a good example of this). The camera in SM3DW is completely free to place wherever you like.

A lot of people seem to look over this fact because most of the footage shown is at the same camera angle.
Not sure if the camera can be adjusted during local multipayer though.

anonymunchy said:
Screamapillar said:
It's a 2D/3D hybrid, and it's got an isometric camera angle. So, in comparison to 64, Sunshine, and the Galaxy games, it is more a cross between NSMB and 3D Land than it is a true 3D Mario game.

It's not an isometric camera angle. That would mean the characters and world only appear to be 3D instead of actually being 3D (diablo is a good example of this). The camera in SM3DW is completely free to place wherever you like.

A lot of people seem to look over this fact because most of the footage shown is at the same camera angle.
Not sure if the camera can be adjusted during local multipayer though.

Probably not, but the camera couldn't be adjusted in Galaxy, either. That said, in solo mode in 3D World, you have total control over the camera.

Around the Network

just you wait and see this game pulling a Metroid Prime (beeing shit (shat ?) on for months before release, but turning out really good !)
I´ll be here to serve some delicious:

the_dengle said:

It doesn't have the production values of the Galaxy games, even though I bet it cost more to make simply by the nature of HD development.

It's too linear, even though every level of every Mario game ever excepting Bob-omb Battlefield (a 'demo' or proof-of-concept level) is a fairly straightforward trek to the goal, be it a star, shine, or flagpole.

It's not an open world sandbox game like GTA which is what everyone has always wanted Mario to be ever since the original Donkey Kong arcade game.

It supports four-player multiplayer, the bane of the hardcore experience. And it doesn't even have the decency to support online multiplayer, the backbone of the hardcore experience!

Finally, the level design is trash because I say it is, and I have seen 5% of all of the levels in the game so I think I would know.

Oh yeah, and the cat suits are a dumb gimmick unlike every other Mario powerup ever which all added amazing gameplay opportunities and completely changed the nature of the game. Like the tail that let you fly over the entire level without effort. Why doesn't Nintendo have these brilliant ideas any more?

Post of the month :)

@OP: Beats me. I thought it was one of the top five games shown at E3, and I can't wait to play it.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

So I hear people saying this isn't a "real" 3D Mario game, but I have no idea what they're talking about, so what specifically is it that doesn't make it a spiritual successor to Galaxy?  I think the game looks great and will be a lot of fun to play, I mean is it only because there's a flag at the end of a stage and not a star lol?  Anyway here's some pretty pics while you tell me:

Yes.

3D Mario is supposed to be about finding what you're supposed to do in a level. Find stars, find out how to get them, discover secrets, etc. By having an "ending" to the level, it is completely linearized.

Plus it has multiplayer, which could end up being fine, but I'm really worried the gameplay will be limited because of it.

JoeTheBro said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

So I hear people saying this isn't a "real" 3D Mario game, but I have no idea what they're talking about, so what specifically is it that doesn't make it a spiritual successor to Galaxy?  I think the game looks great and will be a lot of fun to play, I mean is it only because there's a flag at the end of a stage and not a star lol?  Anyway here's some pretty pics while you tell me:

Yes.

3D Mario is supposed to be about finding what you're supposed to do in a level. Find stars, find out how to get them, discover secrets, etc. By having an "ending" to the level, it is completely linearized.

Plus it has multiplayer, which could end up being fine, but I'm really worried the gameplay will be limited because of it.

There wasn't a lot of that in Galaxy tbh.  Galaxy was pretty straight forward and linear compared to 64 and Sunshine. 

JoeTheBro said:
KingdomHeartsFan said:

Yes.

the thing is, its more 2D Mario than 3D, this isnt a successor in no way from SMG2. Its suppose to have a timer / health meter is loses power up then shrinks/ flagpole/etc. It plays like 2D mario cuz it is 2D Mario in a 3D Perspective. Next mario in 2 or 3 years will be the 3D Mario everybody is looking forward to. all i kno is im going to be enjoying this game especially wen this is multiplayer and SM3DL was my 2nd favorite 3DS game