By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Multiplatform vs Exclusive, what will sell more?

i would say exclusive, pretty much all my friends get their games from review scores and i would think that an exclusive game would be better than a multi-platform game

Switch Friend Code - 3664 - 9964 - 9777

Smash Ultimate Alias - Happy Lion

Mains: Donkey Kong, King K. Rool, Diddy Kong

Around the Network
kingofwale said:
>But I'm guessing something like FF would.

Just look at FFXII and FFXII (DS). ;)

if FFXIII is multiplatform, it'd sell a bit more, bigger user-base = bigger sales. It's as simple as that.

Sure, it might not be as good (porting is never as good as the original), but we are talking PURELY on sales number here.

You are forgetting how much us gamers and the media LOVE exclusives and love reading about them.  I honestly think MGS4 will outsell Devil May Cry 4 because it gets so much more attention.  Notice how people more or less stopped talking about DMC 4 after it went multi-plat (not that I don't think Capcom's decision was probably a smart one).  On the other hand, people talk about MGS4 ALL THE TIME and that kind of coverage really helps a game.  Same with Final Fantasy XIII.  The allure of the exclusive really does sell games.

The latest installments last gen of MGS and DMC have sold relatively on par with one another.

We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers…Also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls.  The only thing that really worried me was the ether.  There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. –Raoul Duke

It is hard to shed anything but crocodile tears over White House speechwriter Patrick Buchanan's tragic analysis of the Nixon debacle. "It's like Sisyphus," he said. "We rolled the rock all the way up the mountain...and it rolled right back down on us...."  Neither Sisyphus nor the commander of the Light Brigade nor Pat Buchanan had the time or any real inclination to question what they were doing...a martyr, to the bitter end, to a "flawed" cause and a narrow, atavistic concept of conservative politics that has done more damage to itself and the country in less than six years than its liberal enemies could have done in two or three decades. -Hunter S. Thompson

GTA4 will just sell very well !!!
and u can already add Assassin Creed, Call Duty ...

multiplaterform will sell very well during this gen, I dont have any doubt.

(do u expect CoD5, on PS2/Wii/PS3/Xbox360, to bomb ? if yes, u shoudl start use ur brain ...)

Time to Work !

>I honestly think MGS4 will outsell Devil May Cry 4 because it gets so much more attention.

yes, but it's also because it will be a MUCH better game.

Geez, comparing DMC4 with MGS4? What's next? Comparing Paper Mario with SMG? :P

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)
Blaze said:
BengaBenga said:
LOL

I´ll repeat my statement: Check the top 50 best selling games and you´ll see only 1 multiplatform game.

Of course it is possible, but in general high quality games (NOT the Need for speeds, Maddens, FIFA´s etc) tend to do better as exclusives.

I think what you said is off a bit. Is it that high quality games do better as exclusives or is it that the exclusives tend to have a cult following to them. Something like a mario would suck as multiplatform game because it is Nintendo Icon and the people who want to play mario games get Nintendo consoles. Also if games that were of such good quality as most of the exclusive are came to more consoles then you would be crazy to believe that more people would not buy them.....

I do have a question tho.... If a game is not exclusive then it has a different tally for all the different consoles it is on right? So wouldn't the top 50 not be right? You would have to add all the versions together then rank them? or is it done differently?

No I meant that exclusives in general havea higher quality than multiplatform games. One reason is that devs can focus on that platform alone. Look at MGS4, that will be totally suited towards the PS3. I bet it will be a better game than DMC for example. Also people love exclusives because they bring something special to your console. Zelda, MGS, FF, GT, Halo, Mario are only icons for their console because they´re multiplatform. The status it brings automatically increases sales.

As for your question: even games 50 to 100 are almost all single console games. The only ones that have a chance for top 50 combined are Need for Speed Underground and Medal of Honour frontlines.

Around the Network

It depends. First, it's the quality. Like GT for example....it sells like 10 million all the time. Then you have to take into regard the target audience. Would GT sell well on the Wii? I doubt it.

It all depends on the game

well it depends,i think in japan exclusives sell better

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

BengaBenga said:
Munkeh111 said:
In general the average multiplatform game will sell better than an exclusive game. Just because all Mario games have been exclusives, and have all sold very well, but that was not because they were exclusive, same with GT, it was because they are very good

It´s the other way around. The best sold games are exclusives because exclusives tend to be better games. Whether you like it or not, Mario games are high quality games, so are FF, GTA and GT.

The games are (partly) so good BECAUSE they are exclusive: devs have to focus on only one platform. 

NO, Lair vs COD. Being exclusive does not mean that it is necessarily good. May I remind you that out of the 8 (inc NFS PS on 0.99) million sellers for PS3, 3 are exclusives. 

Out of the top ten 360 sellers (ignoring marval ultimate alliance) 3 were true exclusives, GRAW was basically one, as was RSV (with the PS3 version coming out 7 months later)

Let's say if GT5 (exclusive on PS3) sells 7 million in lifetime

Then GT5 (PS3, 360, Wii) will sell 5.5 million, 2.4 million, 2.9 million = 10 million +

I lowered Wii's number because it's likely an inferior port

Soriku (Feb 10/08): In 5 years the PS3/360 will be dead.

KH3 bet: "If KH3 comes to Wii exclusive, I will take a 1 month of sig/avatar by otheres open a thread apologize and praise you guys' brilliance." http://vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?start=50&id=18379
Original cast: Badonkadonkhr, sc94597 allaboutthegames885, kingofwale, Soriku, ctk495, skeezer, RDBRaptor, Mirson,

Episode 1: OOPSY!
selnor
: Too Human I even expect 3-4 mill entire life and 500,000 first day. GoW2 ( expect 7 - 9 million entire life and over 2 mill first day), Fable 2 (expect 5-6 million entire life and 1.5 mill fist day) BK3 (expect 4 - 5 mill sales entire life and 1 mill first day).. Tales/IU/TLR should get to 2 or 3 million! post id: 868878
Episode 2:
Letsdance: FFXIII (PS3+360) first week in NA = 286K
According to pre-order rate in week 13 (post id: 2902544)

@Soriku

Come on now.....Zack and Wiki only does about 370k.....yet Carnival Games and Mario/Sonic Olympics do millions.

It's the same kind of thing with 360 also. People want FFXIII to go multiplatform, but forget that Eternal Sonata and Blue Dragon bit it on that platform.

Certain games don't sell to certain audiences. And the Wii audience probably wouldn't want GT, maybe a select few...but if that wanted it, they would have got a PS3 ;)