By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Brawl's March release good for nintendo, bad for wii?

Brawl and Okami for me... what else is coming in March?

Prepare for termination! It is the only logical thing to do, for I am only loyal to Megatron.

Around the Network
tastyshovelware said:
As much as I love nintendo (former nes, snes, and n64 owner), I worry that one day the n64/gc effect will kick in and people will realize that all they're getting are nintendo products and they'll jump ship in favor of the ps3/360.

I don't want to live off just nintendo titles for the wii's life span. And let's say there was a small title, zack and wiki caliber, scheduled to release in march. No one would buy it cause the media and gamer talk would all focus on brawl. z/w is a great game. Is it brawl great? well maybe, maybe not, but brawl would crush it all the same. I would hate to find that a real underdog title out of the bunch was lost in the shuffle with wii around.

And, you know what, I may be wrong, the games may all turn out to be crap. But I think the move to push brawl....... just a TINY bit may hurt nintendo a tiny bit, but it would help the wii and 3rd party faith in it long term.

I know it's a give and take relationship. I know 3rd party developers need to put in more of an effort. And I know brawl looks great. The fact is, no matter what was going up against brawl, even if it was a great port of GTA4, brawl would still beat it out. that's how powerful the game is.

1)The chances of that ahppening now are slim. In the last two generations, developers jumped ship as those two systems sold better. Now the Wii sells the most. The senario won't play out the same way.

2)Your not seeing it. Lets say there is amazing game X in March. How much would it sell without Brawl. We'll say 20k. Now, withy Brawl, it sells 10k. Oh no. Nintendo delays Brawl, again, and loses out on the fans who were on the fence.

3)No, it would hurt Nintendo more. Brawl will get more people on the Wii, and be better for them in general. With Brawl, Nintendo gets about 80% of the profits. With the third party gamwes, about 10-20. Nintendo would not make the money back losing sales for Brawl if they let these third party games do a smidge bit better.

The thing is, your not looking into the real world. Your theory makes sence, but it is far from paracitcal. These third party games lacked both the hype or the general appeal. Heck, most of them are ports. Your asking Nintendo to delay their biggest game in a long time, which will kick start the Wii and really help put the system in more households, to help these ports and small games get a little more sales. The truth is that stratigy will, indeed, hurt Nintendo more then help it. It will delay a good situation for a lesser one. Those games would not have gone very far Brawl or not. If they would have gone far, then they could compete with Brawl, and still get their sales. Brawl will hurt sales, but so do games like Halo 3, FF games, and GTAs. The other developers need to take heed. Why should Nintendo take a sacrifice for other games just for the sake of helping them. It's buisness. Microsoft would not do the same with a Halo title.

4)case in point, developers need to plan for this, not Nintendo. These developers need Nintendo. If Nintendo doesn't make the games, the system drowns. This is how it's functioned. The third parties aren't making anything good to keep the system aflot, so if they want to sell anything, they need Nintendo. As I said, Nintendo should not yeild to them for a greater loss, when they should yeild to Nintendo for a minor loss.

How do people know Brawl won't be the gateway for these other games? People are going to HAVE to pay attention to the Wii in March.

But why does pretty much every third party argument on this board result in this mentality that Nintendo needs to hold 3rd parties' hands? There have been several months without a blockbuster Nintendo title stretching back to last summer, why didn't these people release these games then? What's so special that all these 3rd parties decided to go for March? At least SE was smart and avoided the crowds by setting DQS for late February.

Tag - "No trolling on my watch!"

Brawl in March is good for ME. It's just a week before my birthday!

Yes, Nintendo should help them out by release Brawl in February. I think we could all agree to that.

Around the Network
BenKenobi88 said:
Words Of Wisdom said:
BenKenobi88 said:
Then I think any third party should move themselves...it's their fault for not making a game as good as Brawl, they should move.

And don't give me crap about them not making a game as good as Brawl...Nintendo deserve's Brawl's sales, it's looking to be an amazing game...I don't understand why other developers can't do the same, or at least something close. No More Heroes is the closest yet.

Exactly.

If 3rd parties can't make quality games, they deserve crappy sales. If they don't want to lose sales to Brawl, they should make a game just as awesome if not better.

sarcasm? cause that is pretty much how I feel. I realize Nintendo has more resources than many developers, but there are companies like EA and Ubisoft that can make a really great game if they put the resources into it like Nintendo does. It shouldn't be sarcasm to say someone should make a game better than Nintendo...I wish more top-notch developers existed.

No sarcasm.  Nintendo sets a high bar of quality.  Developers should strive to meet it and exceed it, not complain about it or fear it.

^Keeping in mind that most companies can't compete with a brawl type budget. It's hard for a company, on the wii, to say, hey give us a 2 year development cycle with some of the best minds in the business and a huge budget. And, oh yeah, hype us every single day of the year. Most developers simply don't have access to those needs.

Anyway, I can see no one really agrees with me so ive become sorta worn down with pushing my point.

However, I think this wii needs brawl right now (This Instant!) thing is still far fetched. Wii has continued to sell out everywhere, even with christmas 6 weeks long gone. And software sells aren't to shabby either.

It's an interesting point tasyshovelware and out of march Third Party games the only one i'm interested in is Pro Evolution (see my thread about this - http://www.vgchartz.com/forum/thread.php?id=16830#end ) as I think this is a release that could define a new type of gameplay for the Wii if it proves to be a hit for Konami who have yet been very tentative about Wii support.

Never thought about the implications of having them released in the same month for demand let alone servers etc as Pro Evo also has an online mode. Bet they're pissed

tastyshovelware said:
^Keeping in mind that most companies can't compete with a brawl type budget. It's hard for a company, on the wii, to say, hey give us a 2 year development cycle with some of the best minds in the business and a huge budget. And, oh yeah, hype us every single day of the year. Most developers simply don't have access to those needs.

Anyway, I can see no one really agrees with me so ive become sorta worn down with pushing my point.

However, I think this wii needs brawl right now (This Instant!) thing is still far fetched. Wii has continued to sell out everywhere, even with christmas 6 weeks long gone. And software sells aren't to shabby either.

Check out my earlier post. It makes points you've been talking about.

But, you answered the problem. It's not that companies can't compete with Brawl, but they won't try. But, at the same time, you can't tell Nintendo to move their game. They have been losing hold of the hype due to all the delays, so pushing it back is not wise. But looking at it from a buiness stance, whould a small B or C list movie appear in theaters the same week as Spiderman 3 or another big name blockbuster. This is the same concept. It's like compaining to America to give money to Africa becuase they are suffering. Your thinking to idealist. You need to understand that all these pusblishers are trying to make money. If they are smart, they'd either push it back, or make it compete with Brawl. The fact they haven't yet proves they are inferior to other developers. Look at No More Heros. It got pushed up to avoid Brawl.

I think your thinking to narrowminded. Talk to a buisness man. He/she will tell you that why should one company sacficice it's well being so another can do better?

well even if people really want the other games then they will sell and like this its better some are getting released earlier and they will fill the gap till brawl

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"