By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Batman relevance argument.

SonOfLiberty said:
Batman is better

Just as I asked my friends recently, what is Batman's relevance to the JLA outside of being a tactician who should watch the battle from the sidelines?

Around the Network
attaboy said:
Is this about whether Batman can beat Superman? Batman can be beaten by the Joker with a vase of flowers. Then again, Batman can kill Darkseid. It all depends on the writer.

Did Batman kill Darkseid in an official continuity story or was it like a frank miller story. We all know how much he loved Batman and thinks Superman is an overpowered boyscout.

S.T.A.G.E. said:
BloodyRain said:
Batman has been more successful in current media like the dark knight trilogy hence he is more popular to the general public. Hell, I just like batman better(not a comic reader).

No shame in that, and its the truth that Batman is seen as better because of the media. Superman could kill him at will though and he doesn't like to kill. When he goes into bloodlust mode its just batshit crazy though.

Thats true, about superman. People prob connect to batman easier. He is so human in character. Superman on the other hand is a being that is alot harder to connect to. He has powers, near invulnerability, high intelligence, and a multitutlde of other things. At first glance, he seems to out of this world. He is more of an ideal representation of what a hero should be. Selfless and always there to save the day. Then someone who is more flawed like batman.

BloodyRain said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

No shame in that, and its the truth that Batman is seen as better because of the media. Superman could kill him at will though and he doesn't like to kill. When he goes into bloodlust mode its just batshit crazy though.

Thats true, about superman. People prob connect to batman easier. He is so human in character. Superman on the other hand is a being that is alot harder to connect to. He has powers, near invulnerability, high intelligence, and a multitutlde of other things. At first glance, he seems to out of this world. He is more of an ideal representation of a hero at first glance. Selfless and always there to save the day. Then someone who is more flawed like batman.

I like Batman better than Superman as well. He's just a more relatable character, but I guess I can seprarate the hype from truth. It's harder to tell a great story with Superman than Batman because he's virtually invicible (outside of kryptonite a couple other things). You have to take things away from him for him to truly fall.

S.T.A.G.E. said:

Superman is anything but inept. The characters powers and intelligence are anything but useless. Any kryptonian has the ability to outhink an earthling and their intelligence is off the charts.

I know that's how it's supposed to be but that's hardly how it plays out.  He's fallen into more traps than anyone in history.

Really, he makes no sense, so I pretty much ignore his existence.

Around the Network
pokoko said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

Superman is anything but inept. The characters powers and intelligence are anything but useless. Any kryptonian has the ability to outhink an earthling and their intelligence is off the charts.

I know that's how it's supposed to be but that's hardly how it plays out.  He's fallen into more traps than anyone in history.

Really, he makes no sense, so I pretty much ignore his existence.

I know right? I watched JLA and called bullshit everytime Superman fell into a trap. Writers are hilarious. Secret Origins was the biggest bullshit episode of JLA. They turn him into a dumbass to make the story work. If they let Superman be Superman there would be no story.  LOL

attaboy said:
I don't....I...what do you want me to say? What are we discussing, here?

Batmans relevance in the JLA. I was saying if they wanted to stop using Batman in the JLA they could and still be just as good if not better at fighting crime, it just depends on the writer. In JLA most of the characters powers to forced into stifling situations because of they want to create weight in the storyline. I was just saying that my friends were arguing about Batman being able to beat Superman. Batman can only beat up Superman with lots of preparation, armor and kryptonite. For instance, even though it was a side story and not apart of the main story arch Batman kind of beat Superman with Kryptonite and a a thick suit of armor. I have my issues with that storyline though. 

Superman to me is as boring as things get. His power levels change drastically based on whoever is writing, whatever was written first isn't necessarily what should be followed. There would be no plot for him at all if he was literally just like God, flying so fast around the earth that he turns back time and such.

Batman is human, and his status as a badass Everyman is the reason he is more popular. He has normal struggles, so we can relate.

A lot of writers consider Batman to be smarter, possibly in the top 5-10 of DC intelligence. He has literally had a story where he single-handedly beats the entire Justice League. He obviously cannot beat Superman in a bare hand fight, but Batman gets to play dirty while Superman never strikes first.

Basically, Batman is a better character. No matter what old stories about Nazis in the early days of Superman might say, he's really boring if he's invincible. So writers have tried to make it more canon that he's not as smart as Batman, on top of being weak to a rock , one that Batman has been shown to possess and keep on him many times.

His relevance is what you choose to believe. In the new DC Batman is a genius (as always really), and Superman gets nerfed, because writing a story for God is boring.

The Tower of Babble showed that Batman could take down the entire Justice League if he wanted.

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

NYANKS said:

Superman to me is as boring as things get. His power levels change drastically based on whoever is writing, whatever was written first isn't necessarily what should be followed. There would be no plot for him at all if he was literally just like God, flying so fast around the earth that he turns back time and such.

Batman is human, and his status as a badass Everyman is the reason he is more popular. He has normal struggles, so we can relate.

A lot of writers consider Batman to be smarter, possibly in the top 5-10 of DC intelligence. He has literally had a story where he single-handedly beats the entire Justice League. He obviously cannot beat Superman in a bare hand fight, but Batman gets to play dirty while Superman never strikes first.

Basically, Batman is a better character. No matter what old stories about Nazis in the early days of Superman might say, he's really boring if he's invincible. So writers have tried to make it more canon that he's not as smart as Batman, on top of being weak to a rock , one that Batman has been shown to possess and keep on him many times.

His relevance is what you choose to believe. In the new DC Batman is a genius (as always really), and Superman gets nerfed, because writing a story for God is boring.

Its not that writing for a god is boring, the question for Superman always is, how do you create a fall for a man who is a basically a god? DC has found so many ways to hurt superman and even tried to kill him off with sun poisoning. He just keeps coming back. We're in a time period where no one likes the good two shoes, but in the 70's and 80's Superman would've been considered much cooler than Batman. In the 90's peoples mentalities changed and they started liking anti-heroes like Wolverine and Spawn. Even Cyborg, himself, could potentially create greater wonders than the tech Batman has since he's considered to be a more advanced inventor than his father. Wonder Woman can use the lasso of truth to interrogate people, Flash to bend time and change the course of history if he wanted to. Really...it just goes on and on.