By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - The Batman relevance argument.

So a bunch of my friends are sitting down eating at a diner and they barely know very much about comic book characters, but we get into it. I, myself, have very decent knowledge of comics which I believe is a little bit better than my friends because I used to read comics as a child and I've seen the JLA and everything and know the characters powers. They just know that Batman is f'n awesome. I agree, he's the best of human potential but his power is just being marketed to them, not what has been proven. The JLA technically doesn't need Batman. Batmans only true role is playing as a tactician. There were like eight of them and they even got the waitress to argue their point with me that Batman can kick Supermans ass. I just said, wow.....you watch too many movies (LOL). Most of my friends off the net aren't very nerdy unless you're talking anime, thats the extent it goes to. Most of them are jocks and pretty boys but they can beat a lot of people in sports trivia, but Comics? Nope. 

Around the Network

Batman is better

You can't use logic when talking about Superman. I hate that he's even in the same continuity with other superheroes, especially those like Batman who are at least in the same solar system as logic.

On the other hand, Superman is inept. With his powers, he should have solved every problem in the world long ago. Also, a cynical and brilliant person like Batman would have contingency plans in place. No doubt that he's probably bought up as much kryptonite as he could find. If Superman acted first, however, Batman wouldn't have a prayer. Only in a situation where Batman could lay a trap could he possibly succeed--and then only because Superman is dumb.

pokoko said:

You can't use logic when talking about Superman. I hate that he's even in the same continuity with other superheroes, especially those like Batman who are at least in the same solar system as logic.

On the other hand, Superman is inept. With his powers, he should have solved every problem in the world long ago. Also, a cynical and brilliant person like Batman would have contingency plans in place. No doubt that he's probably bought up as much kryptonite as he could find. If Superman acted first, however, Batman wouldn't have a prayer. Only in a situation where Batman could lay a trap could he possibly succeed--and then only because Superman is dumb.

Exactly. Batman had to attain his skills, and is a genius. Superman was born overpowered. 

Batman has been more successful in current media like the dark knight trilogy hence he is more popular to the general public. Hell, I just like batman better(not a comic reader).

Around the Network
pokoko said:

Superman is anything but inept. The characters powers and intelligence are anything but useless. Any kryptonian has the ability to outhink an earthling and their intelligence is off the charts. Lex Luthor spent so much time trying to be like Superman and destroying him that he never got to understand what it means to be Superman. Once he understood that the world made sense and he shut up. If you combine all of the powers of the JLA together and levels of intellegence technically they wouldn't need batman. Hes the only odd man out and he's really the only liability on the team because he's injury prone compared to the rest of them. Again, in these books it comes down to the writer, but if we've seen the show, we know better.

I don't....I...what do you want me to say? What are we discussing, here?

Is this about whether Batman can beat Superman? Batman can be beaten by the Joker with a vase of flowers. Then again, Batman can kill Darkseid. It all depends on the writer.

SonOfLiberty said:
pokoko said:

Exactly. Batman had to attain his skills, and is a genius. Superman was born overpowered. 

Superman wasn't born will all those abilities but all Kryptonians are born superior to the human race. He has those abilities because of the yellow sun and has had thirty years to adapt to the earths atmosphere, unlike the Kryptonians that followed.

BloodyRain said:
Batman has been more successful in current media like the dark knight trilogy hence he is more popular to the general public. Hell, I just like batman better(not a comic reader).

No shame in that, and its the truth that Batman is seen as better because of the media. Superman could kill him at will though and he doesn't like to kill. When he goes into bloodlust mode its just batshit crazy though.