By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's WII -U will win the Holiday Season and the Next Gen IF

Will Nintendo win the Next Gen if they Bring the Price of the Deluxe Edition of Wii U down to $250.00 for the Holidays?

Yes. Definitely. 92 18.36%

No. Definitely not. 173 34.53%

It would be suicide for N... 86 17.17%

It would be the Best Move... 55 10.98%

Still too early to tell. 95 18.96%

Total:501
Mr Khan said:
Soundwave said:

I'm sorry but it's really not a "bold assertion" certainly not any more than the people who are saying it's going to turn around and sell above the SNES or something. That's his opinion, trying to police people's opinions is ridiculous.

It's not like it's not supported by facts either, factually the Wii U is the slowest selling modern console from a major manufacturer since the Dreamcast, or perhaps even the disastrous Sega Saturn. That's just a fact.

Boldly negative assertions (especially DoA, which simply isn't true for a major console manufacturer) have the tendency to rile people up.

I don't think it's a huge reach to say that Nintendo may have simply just created a console here that doesn't have much of an audience reach beyond the hardcore Nintendo fan. There are a lot of tell tale signs of it already. In which case the term "DOA" isn't really all that unrealistic to say.

Looking back on it, a lot of the consoles that most people today acknowledge as "failures" like the Saturn and GameCube generally are done in by poor decision making/design decisions that are made before the console ever hits a store shelf.

Around the Network
Mythmaker1 said:

Mr Khan said:

DoA is a bold assertion. I'd retract.

I would think it'd be tough to argue with. The Wii U concept was certainly not received with a great deal of enthusiasm by the community at large. The vocal reluctance of publishers to embrace the concept provides more credence to the idea that the console's main appeal is something of a non-starter.

1. What's the community at large suppose to mean? Forums? Moot point, if so.

2. Has there been some mass vocal reluctance from publishers about the gamepad that I'm unaware of?

Soundwave said:
Mr Khan said:
Soundwave said:

I'm sorry but it's really not a "bold assertion" certainly not any more than the people who are saying it's going to turn around and sell above the SNES or something. That's his opinion, trying to police people's opinions is ridiculous.

It's not like it's not supported by facts either, factually the Wii U is the slowest selling modern console from a major manufacturer since the Dreamcast, or perhaps even the disastrous Sega Saturn. That's just a fact.

Boldly negative assertions (especially DoA, which simply isn't true for a major console manufacturer) have the tendency to rile people up.

I don't think it's a huge reach to say that Nintendo may have simply just created a console here that doesn't have much of an audience reach beyond the hardcore Nintendo fan. There are a lot of tell tale signs of it already. In which case the term "DOA" isn't really all that unrealistic to say.

Looking back on it, a lot of the consoles that most people today acknowledge as "failures" like the Saturn and GameCube generally are done in by poor decision making/design decisions that are made before the console ever hits a store shelf.

Or maybe lack of software, lack of advertising and most expensive console on the market is the reason.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Play4Fun said:
Mythmaker1 said:

Mr Khan said:

I would think it'd be tough to argue with. The Wii U concept was certainly not received with a great deal of enthusiasm by the community at large. The vocal reluctance of publishers to embrace the concept provides more credence to the idea that the console's main appeal is something of a non-starter.

2. Has there been some mass vocal reluctance from publishers about the gamepad that I'm unaware of?

1. Video gaming/consumer market as a whole. Comparing the Wii launch to the Wii U, you can see the difference between a successfully received concept and one that has not received a strong reception.

2. I'm referring to various comments from developers/publishers that they are not developing game X or game Y for the Wii U because they couldn't think of anything to do with the GamePad. I recall hearing something to that effect from Gearbox, among others.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

*Okay, must have screwed up in posting, because this is an extra post. Sorry.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Around the Network
Mythmaker1 said:
Play4Fun said:

1. Video gaming/consumer market as a whole. Comparing the Wii launch to the Wii U, you can see the difference between a successfully received concept and one that has not received a strong reception.

2. I'm referring to various comments from developers/publishers that they are not developing game X or game Y for the Wii U because they couldn't think of anything to do with the GamePad. I recall hearing something to that effect from Gearbox, among others.

1. So you're saying the WIi U's slow sales has to with the gamepad and not the software drought and lack of marketing?

That's as short sighted as people who blamed 3DS' 3D feature as a reason customers weren't embracing it, when the big problems were really the price and most of all lack of games.

Comparing the Wii  early months to Wii U's doesn't mean the gamepad is the problem. The Wii U had steady first party support from Nintendo early on, the Wii U hasn't.

2. I haven't seen comments like that from alot of devs. The complaints/excuses have mostly been the same not enough power,  our games don't sell on nintendo consoles or it's userbase isn't large enough.

Either way, vocal reluctance of publishers to embrace a concept does not provide  credence to the idea that a console's main appeal is something of a non-starter to customers, considering 3rd parties were largely reluctant to embrace Wii's controller. The opinion of publishers don't necessarily reflect the opinion of the market as a whole.

Mr Khan said:
landguy1 said:
WiiU isn't in trouble. It's DOA... If it was going to become a mainstream success, it would have done so before the PS4 and XB1 arrived. The price cut only helps to give consumers a good/better/best pricing option at $300/$400/$500. Unless the little kids that still have the Wii beg for the WiiU, there won't be a good reason. Little kids don't frequent gaming websites to get to understand what the WiiU has to offer. They watch TV. I have all 3 of the current gen systems and have 4 kids(3,7,9,15). NOT 1 of them has even asked me about or brought up the WiiU. They all play on the gaming systems that we have and watch enough TV. The WiiU is DOA.

I know that my my situation is only one example. But, as I am into gaming and gaming industry stuff, I ask around. My sisters 2 kids=NO, My 6-7 friends kids=NO. The only things brought up has been PS4 and XB1.

I think that people that are die hard Nintendo fans have to remember one thing. The Wii sold 100 Million units, but didn't impress 100 million people with it's long term value. 50-60 million of those people were casuals that played Wii sports/fitness and maybe a dance game on the Wii. They didn't find a lot of compelling software for them after that. So, the purchase was like many items that are bought during a fad, quickly set aside and forgotten. Are they looking for another item from a company that sold them something that didn't work out for them? Probably not, as the ipad/tablet/smartphone has done that for them. Don't get me wrong, the Wii had plenty of great 1st party games, but that isn't what people bought the system for.

Why retract?

1.  The OP is WiiU related and so is my response.

2.  I didn't make just the DOA comment and then atleast try to rationalize my opinion with some type of explanation. 

3.  I didn't make some type of negative comment about a person or company.

So, i don't think a retraction is something that should be required.  If anything, i would have preferred that you countered my view with a group of facts or counterviews that had with a explained response.

Play4Fun said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
Nirvana_Nut85 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:

They need more AAA multiplats and people still cannot differentiate the Wii U from the PS3 and 360. This is where the PS4 and Xbone will have the advantage in their debut. If you ask me, the tablet is holding the Wii U back......BIGTIME.

Because AAA multiplats sold 100 million Wii's ...........No, multiplat is irrelevant on a Nintendo console. They just need to start putting out software that takess advantage of the gamepad and market the damn thing properly and they will be fine.

You're a smart one aren't you? It's quite obvious the Wii is a once in a blue moon ordeal. The marketshare Nintendo amassed last gen will not be here in the next gen, which is why analysts have predicted that this generation the overall marketshare will shrink. When nintendo fails a gimmick, they are basically back to feeding their loyal crowd which hangs at around thirty million. If they up their third party at least a bit more they'll be able to make it forty by the end of this generation. Of all the people to understand my point, I thought Michael Pachter would be the last. Nintendo will need third party support more than you know because this generation is going to be very, very rough.

Yeah, AC3, COD:G and Batman AC really helped Wii U's launch.

You can keep going on and on about how Nintendo needs the big AAA games or they can't succeed, but that doesn't make it true.

Nintendo consoles aren't Sony or MS consoles.

Did I say Nintendo wouldnt succeed? Find a generation where Nintendo didn't profit off of their main hardware. You wont be able to..why? Because Nintendo has always played it safe with hardware and it has either helped or hurt them against the competition in the long run. They always make hardware for themselves and this has cost them a relationship with third parties thus keeping their marketshare naturally lower than the competition. AAA multiplats are what the lionshare of the market wants, not exclusives. Exclusives differentiate one console from another. Do you know what makes Nintendo games different from Sony or Nintendo in sales? Bundling. Sony and MS spend so much making their games that they cannot make one cheap enough to bundle with every syste. 

landguy1 said:
Mr Khan said:
landguy1 said:
WiiU isn't in trouble. It's DOA... If it was going to become a mainstream success, it would have done so before the PS4 and XB1 arrived. The price cut only helps to give consumers a good/better/best pricing option at $300/$400/$500. Unless the little kids that still have the Wii beg for the WiiU, there won't be a good reason. Little kids don't frequent gaming websites to get to understand what the WiiU has to offer. They watch TV. I have all 3 of the current gen systems and have 4 kids(3,7,9,15). NOT 1 of them has even asked me about or brought up the WiiU. They all play on the gaming systems that we have and watch enough TV. The WiiU is DOA.

I know that my my situation is only one example. But, as I am into gaming and gaming industry stuff, I ask around. My sisters 2 kids=NO, My 6-7 friends kids=NO. The only things brought up has been PS4 and XB1.

I think that people that are die hard Nintendo fans have to remember one thing. The Wii sold 100 Million units, but didn't impress 100 million people with it's long term value. 50-60 million of those people were casuals that played Wii sports/fitness and maybe a dance game on the Wii. They didn't find a lot of compelling software for them after that. So, the purchase was like many items that are bought during a fad, quickly set aside and forgotten. Are they looking for another item from a company that sold them something that didn't work out for them? Probably not, as the ipad/tablet/smartphone has done that for them. Don't get me wrong, the Wii had plenty of great 1st party games, but that isn't what people bought the system for.

Why retract?

1.  The OP is WiiU related and so is my response.

2.  I didn't make just the DOA comment and then atleast try to rationalize my opinion with some type of explanation. 

3.  I didn't make some type of negative comment about a person or company.

So, i don't think a retraction is something that should be required.  If anything, i would have preferred that you countered my view with a group of facts or counterviews that had with a explained response.

If you had merely excised that part, i would have no issue with the thread. "DoA" means "failure to launch," in my mind, which is categorically untrue for any major-manufacturer console, which i feel is over-the-top

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

I don't expect particular good sales for any console, like this generation, or many people going with all the systems. But Wii U will likely sell the less of the three as I believe the console's boat sailed months ago.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile