By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo's WII -U will win the Holiday Season and the Next Gen IF

Will Nintendo win the Next Gen if they Bring the Price of the Deluxe Edition of Wii U down to $250.00 for the Holidays?

Yes. Definitely. 92 18.36%

No. Definitely not. 173 34.53%

It would be suicide for N... 86 17.17%

It would be the Best Move... 55 10.98%

Still too early to tell. 95 18.96%

Total:501

No. While it would obviously help, WiiU is a flawed idea executed horrendously.

Like the purple lunchbox of GC even a cheap price and great games couldn't make people buy it (in the face of more pleasing opposition offerings). WiiU has the same problem, it doesn't look 'kiddie' like GC did, but the gamepad just doesn't look like a fun idea and it doesn't offer the improved power/graphics of PS4/XB1. It's just not an appealing product to people at large at any price point.

Around the Network
Gamerace said:

Like the purple lunchbox of GC even a cheap price and great games couldn't make people buy it (in the face of more pleasing opposition offerings). WiiU has the same problem, it doesn't look 'kiddie' like GC did, but the gamepad just doesn't look like a fun idea and it doesn't offer the improved power/graphics of PS4/XB1. It's just not an appealing product to people at large at any price point.

The damndest thing about the GameCube was kids didn't even buy it, lol, the audience for it was mostly Nintendo fans who were in their late teens/20s by that time.

I remember so many more kids had a Playstation 2.

Soundwave said:
Gamerace said:

The damndest thing about the GameCube was kids didn't even buy it, lol, the audience for it was mostly Nintendo fans who were in their late teens/20s by that time.

I remember so many more kids had a Playstation 2.

Well, my kids had it. Lol.  Back then I was strickly a PC gamer (with some Melee with my kids). But then they got a PS2...

@op: whenever someone uses the word "honestly", they've made a false proclamation.

landguy1 said:
WiiU isn't in trouble. It's DOA... If it was going to become a mainstream success, it would have done so before the PS4 and XB1 arrived. The price cut only helps to give consumers a good/better/best pricing option at $300/$400/$500. Unless the little kids that still have the Wii beg for the WiiU, there won't be a good reason. Little kids don't frequent gaming websites to get to understand what the WiiU has to offer. They watch TV. I have all 3 of the current gen systems and have 4 kids(3,7,9,15). NOT 1 of them has even asked me about or brought up the WiiU. They all play on the gaming systems that we have and watch enough TV. The WiiU is DOA.

I know that my my situation is only one example. But, as I am into gaming and gaming industry stuff, I ask around. My sisters 2 kids=NO, My 6-7 friends kids=NO. The only things brought up has been PS4 and XB1.

I think that people that are die hard Nintendo fans have to remember one thing. The Wii sold 100 Million units, but didn't impress 100 million people with it's long term value. 50-60 million of those people were casuals that played Wii sports/fitness and maybe a dance game on the Wii. They didn't find a lot of compelling software for them after that. So, the purchase was like many items that are bought during a fad, quickly set aside and forgotten. Are they looking for another item from a company that sold them something that didn't work out for them? Probably not, as the ipad/tablet/smartphone has done that for them. Don't get me wrong, the Wii had plenty of great 1st party games, but that isn't what people bought the system for.

DoA is a bold assertion. I'd retract.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Around the Network

If Wii U is closer to ps4/one or not, it's irrelevant if third parties studio won't support it and the console will need more than just the same 1 parties games to win this generation.

Mr Khan said:
landguy1 said:
WiiU isn't in trouble. It's DOA... If it was going to become a mainstream success, it would have done so before the PS4 and XB1 arrived. The price cut only helps to give consumers a good/better/best pricing option at $300/$400/$500. Unless the little kids that still have the Wii beg for the WiiU, there won't be a good reason. Little kids don't frequent gaming websites to get to understand what the WiiU has to offer. They watch TV. I have all 3 of the current gen systems and have 4 kids(3,7,9,15). NOT 1 of them has even asked me about or brought up the WiiU. They all play on the gaming systems that we have and watch enough TV. The WiiU is DOA.

I know that my my situation is only one example. But, as I am into gaming and gaming industry stuff, I ask around. My sisters 2 kids=NO, My 6-7 friends kids=NO. The only things brought up has been PS4 and XB1.

I think that people that are die hard Nintendo fans have to remember one thing. The Wii sold 100 Million units, but didn't impress 100 million people with it's long term value. 50-60 million of those people were casuals that played Wii sports/fitness and maybe a dance game on the Wii. They didn't find a lot of compelling software for them after that. So, the purchase was like many items that are bought during a fad, quickly set aside and forgotten. Are they looking for another item from a company that sold them something that didn't work out for them? Probably not, as the ipad/tablet/smartphone has done that for them. Don't get me wrong, the Wii had plenty of great 1st party games, but that isn't what people bought the system for.

I'm sorry but it's really not a "bold assertion" certainly not any more than the people who are saying it's going to turn around and sell above the SNES or something. That's his opinion, trying to police people's opinions is ridiculous.

It's not like it's not supported by facts either, factually the Wii U is the slowest selling modern console from a major manufacturer since the Dreamcast, or perhaps even the disastrous Sega Saturn. That's just a fact.

Mr Khan said:
landguy1 said:

What? But a console's life is written in a matter of months early on. I mean, it's not like past consoles have struggled in their early months before.

Nintendo have dropped heavy hitter after heavy hitter from their first party portfolio in the last few months and it hasn't helped the console, it's obviously DOA at this point.

Soundwave said:
Mr Khan said:
landguy1 said:

I'm sorry but it's really not a "bold assertion" certainly not any more than the people who are saying it's going to turn around and sell above the SNES or something. That's his opinion, trying to police people's opinions is ridiculous.

It's not like it's not supported by facts either, factually the Wii U is the slowest selling modern console from a major manufacturer since the Dreamcast, or perhaps even the disastrous Sega Saturn. That's just a fact.

Boldly negative assertions (especially DoA, which simply isn't true for a major console manufacturer) have the tendency to rile people up.

Monster Hunter: pissing me off since 2010.

Mr Khan said:

I would think it'd be tough to argue with. The Wii U concept was certainly not received with a great deal of enthusiasm by the community at large. The vocal reluctance of publishers to embrace the concept provides more credence to the idea that the console's main appeal is something of a non-starter.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.