By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Which plays the biggest part in a game becoming memorable, its graphics, story or gameplay?

Which plays the biggest part in a game becoming memorable, its graphics, story or gameplay?

Graphics 8 7.62%

Story 47 44.76%

Gameplay 50 47.62%

Total:105

I’ll start by making it clear I am not asking what makes a game the “best” or what makes you play it the most, but rather if a game could excel at just one of those three, which would be the most likely to make you remember it many weeks/months/years later.

In the real world we tend to judge a game my multiple criteria simultaneously, as failing at one (depending what kind of game it is) can be detrimental to its quality. So, for the sake of this thread, pretend every area of the game is a solid 7/10, with the one of those three you pick being a perfect 10/10.

For me personally, it’s the story. Whilst the most important aspect of a game in general, unsurprisingly, is its gameplay, the story is the area I see gaming succeed at the least. I love few things more than finishing a good book, so when I play a game that is at least fairly fun, but with a top notch story, it quickly becomes a favourite.

A recent example of this would be Bioshock: Infinite (no spoilers, I promise). While I can understand the praise for its controls, first person shooters have never really been my kind of thing, so I was doomed from the start to be fairly unimpressed with its gameplay. The story, however, was stunning. From the second it started, to that mind blowing final half an hour, the game had me gripped. It was interesting, well-paced and left me still thinking about it several weeks after its completion. No game, no matter how fun, could keep me thinking about it that long because of its gameplay. There are simply too many games that excel in that area for me to find it memorable, as appose to the small number of excellent stories.

So those are my thoughts, what about you?

Around the Network

Good mix of everything.

Depends on the type of game.

Mario Galaxy - Gameplay and sense of joy. 
Walking Dead - Story and being emotionally played. 
Crysis 2 - Graphics. As 70% of games are graphics according to crytek.
The Last of Us - Gameplay, Characters and Story Telling (Not the story itself per say).

For me it has to be a combination of both story and gameplay. If one of them doesn't work then the game won't be memorable for me. 

Exceptions would be games like Mario Galaxy where the gameplay is sooo good that having no story doesn't matter. And also visual novels where the story is everything and the gameplay is not important.

Nintendo and PC gamer

Story and characters are what make a game memorable to me, but it really depends on the game.

Around the Network

The graphikz is the mos importantz part of a gaime. Max settingz on my highz end PZ.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Even though it wasn't listed in the options, i would honestly say sound.

Some game's soundtracks entirely define how important they were to me. Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy 6, Oath to Order from Majora's Mask, Purpose from Fire Emblem: Awakening, and even the metal soundtrack from Metal Gear Rising. Sound completely elevates every other element in the game by putting me right into the action and feeling how the other characters would feel at that moment.

A game can be absolutely beautiful, just breathtakingly stunning, but if there is not sorry, it's just a pretty picture.

Gameplay is important too, but I think the story is the what you usually end up talking about later.

Such as the surprise twist in "The House of the Dead: Overkill."

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Ponyless said:
Even though it wasn't listed in the options, i would honestly say sound.

Some game's soundtracks entirely define how important they were to me. Dancing Mad from Final Fantasy 6, Oath to Order from Majora's Mask, Purpose from Fire Emblem: Awakening, and even the metal soundtrack from Metal Gear Rising. Sound completely elevates every other element in the game by putting me right into the action and feeling how the other characters would feel at that moment.

Very nice post

Music