By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - What is your Favorite Genre? (Poll)

What Genre do you get MOIST for?

Adventure 46 20.81%

Fighting 7 3.17%

FPS/TPS 19 8.60%

Platformer 22 9.95%

Puzzle 0 0%

Racing 7 3.17%

RPG 97 43.89%

Strategy 15 6.79%

Sports 1 0.45%

Other (Please state what) 7 3.17%

Total:221

RPGs (both action and turn-based) , action-adventure like Zelda, platformers, strategy games and racing games(love Mario Kart and Gran turismo and I still play some old Need for Speed games)

Around the Network

Rpgs all over yah face

At one time, I would same Traditional RPGs and Turn Based Strategy games without question. However, both have been in serious decline in terms of quantity.

Therefore, right now, I would say FPS RPG. I didn't play it at all on the PS2, but with the PC and PS3, it's a genre that I've grown to love. Games like Fallout 3/NV, Deus Ex:HR, and Borderlands have been some of my favorite experiences this generation. I hope we get more.

I'd still kill for another Valkyria Chronicles, though.

I hate to actually choose but it will definitely be platformer.

Chris Hu said:
At the moment racing games been playing a lot of Forza 4 and Forza Horizon.

Curious, do you play with a the Wheel or a controller?  Or do you have a fancy setup.

For me, RPG Games.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

Around the Network

RPG but mostly JRPG.

JRPGs are my favorite, but this gen there's been mostly crap for the genre. WRPGs have been better this genre than JRPGs, but even the WRPGs today pale in comparison to past games in the genre.

-I like both your standard JRPG and TRPG equally.
-Second favorite style of games is platformers, which have also been lackluster this genre. There are some great games like the LBP series, Prinny series, Shinobi, Cave Story, Rayman, etc, but not much else really.
-Sandbox, Action, and Stylish Action next. Stylish action is as good now as they were the past gen, sandbox games are 100,000 times better this gen than the last gen, especially when the game is done well, and action games are done better.
-Third person shooter.  Aside from very few, if it was on consoles prior gens, TPS games have sucked, I actually like some TPS games this gen.  Uncharted is my favorite unless it's a Sandbox game like GTA4/Infamous 2/The Saboteur, etc.
-Fighting.and Racing
-FPS and Shmups are last.

Anything else is better than FPS and Shmups, equal to or worse than Fighting and Racing.

I have to go with Strategy - and more specifically GRAND Strategy games, such as Civilisation, Europa Universalis and Total War. But I enjoy (Action-)Adventure games just as much, I just don't play them as much - and had to pick strategy. Platforming is a close third though.

I'm on Twitter @DanneSandin!

Furthermore, I think VGChartz should add a "Like"-button.

I don't know what to pick out of this poll. Adventure sounds like Zelda, Darksiders, etc. Which isn't bad, but not my favorite. TPS/FPS sounds too restricting.

Action Adventures, linear (Uncharted, TLoU, God of War) and sandbox (GTA, Saints Row, Infamous) would definitely be my first choice.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

I chose "platformer" as a generic answer, since 4 of my top 4 favorite games of all time are technically 2D platformers (SMB3, Mega Man 2, Kirby's Adventure, Super Metroid). Others like Castlevania 1 and Super CV 4 are up there as well, as is Symphony of the Night of course. What is and isn't a "platformer" gets a little murky, but all in all, most of my favorite games tend to be older 2D platform-ish type games.

However, I also really love older rpgs, such as FFIV-VI, Chrno Trigger, Breath of Fire, etc. I ALSO really love certain racing games, such as Mario Kart, (typically older) Rider Racer, Need for Speed, Cruis'n World, RC Pro Am, etc. I ALSO also love a lot of classic fighters, such as SFII, Mortal Kombat, Killer Instinct, Tekken, Soul Edge/Calibur, Samurai Shodown, etc.

When it comes to modern games that I like the most......I dunno. Adventure games with a huge world to explore hold a certain appeal. As do 3D action games that have a good camera and actually tight/fun gameplay (which are far fewer than you'd think). Ultimately I don't know that I have a concretely preferred genre for modern games, it's more of what I know for certain I'm not a big fan of , that being most FPS games, most modern RPGs, most GTA type games, most "shoot things with guns" games in general, etc. These days, I suppose it's more of a case by case basis, what actually looks good and what actually appeals to me.