By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Japanese devs/publishers. What's up with them?

Tagged games:

I seem to be one of the few who disagrees with the popular notion (not so surprisingly, popular specifically among western gamers), that western developers have taken over the industry and are SO much better now than Japanese developers are.

It's pretty obvious that the west has risen up within the last couple of generations, with companies like 2K Games, EA, Activision and Ubisoft all really coming into prominence, and studios like Rockstar, Insomniac, Bethesda, Sucker Punch, Bungie, Retro, Naughty Dog, etc. rising to popularity. And I'll also openly admit/lament the fact that many Japanese companies that were once synonymous with greatness and assured quality, such as Squaresoft, Enix, Capcom, Konami, Namco, Sega, etc., have really fallen off within that same span of time, or many more like Hudson Soft, have simply disappeared.

But, beyond that, while I don't deny that western developed games have seemed to take over the industry (other than Nintendo made games), I will absolutely argue the notion that western made games are so much better than Japanese ones these days. And I'm not talking about those aforementioned big studios that have slid in quality. I'm more disappointed than anyone how those companies have turned out, considering they used to make some of my favorite games of all time. BUT, some people seem to like to ignore that there are a lot of great Japanese developers, many of them new, who are excellent and to my mind, still make more creative/more fun games than a good majority of western developed stuff.

Just to name a few: Team Ico (if they'd ever actually hurry the fuck up and finish The Last Guardian), Studio Pixel, Nigoro, Good-Feel, Grasshopper Manufacture, Platinum Games, Vanillaware, Monolith Soft, Intelligent Systems, Camelot, Mistwalker, Treasure, Level-5, Atlus, HAL, Polyphony Digital, etc.

I can't/won't deny that there are a lot of great (especially indie) western dev studios now. But I personally don't think that a lot of the now-popular western devs really deserve quite the amount of hype they get, especially all the purveyors of FPS after FPS. Some of those are even quality games, no doubt. But I just think there is still a hell of a lot more creativity and talent in Japanese devs that many want to think, just not from the major studios (outside of Nintendo). I'd love to see Capcom, Square or Konami return to form and quit putting out bullshit. But I don't trust that to happen. Which is why it's good all of these other, smaller studios do still make great games.

Around the Network
kupomogli said:

We're finally getting Tales of now, but that's not the point.  The series has always sold well enough that we should have got every single title from the start.  We shouldn't have to have missed as many games as we did on the PS2, or every spinoff and main game released on handhelds except for the ToP remake and Radiant Mythology.

These games would make well over a half million each release for Namco Bandai, but because it's only $500,000 instead of $100 million, they just don't bother.  Even if it's a short period of time, this would open up jobs for translators and other such people to work on the localization of the titles.  They'd get more fans because while they would only be making a little bit, people would see more games on the shelves.  Hey.  There's been a shit ton of these games.  Maybe this is actually a good series. 

With 200k sold, atleast half of them being full MSRP, they'd atleast be making two million per game, but regardless of the number.  They'd be getting exposure, plus they'd still be making money.  That's the point.  It's taken them this long to realize this and the only reason it's finally sank in their heads is because how bad there other properties have been doing.  They're finally getting it into there heads its better to make this much because they'ree actually making something rather than losing money with each investment.

I think my favorite cases of this kind of thing, were Namco making a huge public deal out of the fact that Tales of Graces was going to be Wii exclusive, and then (especially after the Symphonia games had been successful), they turn around and never release it in Wii in NA, instead porting it to PS3. Just made no sense. Same with Square making a huge deal of announcing DQX as being Wii exclusive (later also Wii U), and then never releasing it in NA, even though MMO games don't do well in Japan, and DQIX was the highest selling entry in the entire franchise. Sometimes shit like that is just mind-boggling.

Soriku said:

There's a lot of text to go through and edit as well. But my point is that Tales games are going to have higher localization costs than a game like Tekken or something but still less. So obviously Namco would prioritize some series over Tales.

Again this really doesn't matter much right now.

Again, they'd more than cover the costs for a game as big as Tales of.  It's not like they have to redevelop the entire game again.  Localization probably wouldn't even reach a quarter of a million for an RPG. 

Why would they be releasing Xillia 2 after seeing just the amount of preorders?  The sales haven't even hit 100,000 yet, but clearly, localization takes way too much money.  Namco Bandai must not be making any money on that.  RIght?  Right?   Xillia bombed in the west confirmed!  I think I made my point. 

Soriku said:
kupomogli said:

Again, they'd more than cover the costs for a game as big as Tales of.  It's not like they have to redevelop the entire game again.  Localization probably wouldn't even reach a quarter of a million for an RPG. 

Why would they be releasing Xillia 2 after seeing just the amount of preorders?  The sales haven't even hit 100,000 yet, but clearly, localization takes way too much money.  Namco Bandai must not be making any money on that.  RIght?  Right?   Xillia bombed in the west confirmed!  I think I made my point. 

...They consider Tales worthwhile enough to release frequently now, yes.

Yeah.  More worthwhile despite having less sales.  Makes perfect sense.

Like I said.  I made my point.  We should have been getting every title from the start.  We shouldn't have missed several main releases and several side releases that would have more than likely sold well enough to make them money. 

As I said before as well, I think with the poor sales of literally everything they've been releasing lately, they've realized some money from Tales of is better than no money.  When they get in a more stable financial position in the future believe me, they're going to abandon their western fanbase again.  I guarantee it.

Adinnieken said:

I'm sorry, but your original premise is wrong.

Of the studios that developed games for the original Xbox launch, only two were solely DOS/Windows developers before then. 

Bungie was an Apple developer.  The majority of the launch title developers had both PC and console development history, one studio had their first game on the Xbox console.  While the majority of developers for the original Xbox were western developers, four were not.  Tecmo/Team Ninja, and Sega being the two most prominante Japanese developers that released launch games on the Xbox. 

The most successful company to release FPS games on the Xbox, besides Microsoft, was Ubisoft and the Tom Clancey series of games.  Ubisoft's development history goes back to the Famicon/Super Nintendo, and include a number of different platforms as well as consoles.  Epic released it's Unreal games on the Xbox, but those actually came after the PS2 and Dreamcast versions were released.

The investment necessary to make the transition to multi-core, parrallel, and modern GPU development wasn't made by most Japanese developers.  While most Western developers were building 3D rendering and physics engines, Japanese developers were still largely locked in 2D gaming with scrollers, and platform games.  Western games made the transition to consoles long before the Xbox. 

Rare showed an FPS could work on the console.  What was missing from FPS games on the console wasn't the control scheme, but the means to play against someone.  With the original Xbox and Xbox LIVE FPS gaming began to climb, and it was Ubisoft that rode that wave. 

The only Western developer that Microsoft had to drag, kicking and screaming to the Xbox platform was EA.  In order to get EA to release an Xbox LIVE enabled game, Microsoft had to sell off it's sports games IPs.  

If two Western PC only developers are your evidence for Microsoft bringing PC developers to the console, it's a really weak argument.   The evidence, which a few minutes on Wikipedia will demonstrate, is that the companies that developed games for the Xbox were largely developers that had crossed over to consoles long-before the Xbox was released. 

Had the PS3 not included the Cell processor, had it ended up being a more powerful PS2, far more game developers would have made the transition the Gen7 consoles.  The problem was the investment to develop on the PS3 was far greater than most developers could afford, but fanbase for Japanese games was on the PS3, and while the PS3 sold well in Japan, in NA it didn't do as well.  With a smaller fanbase, development split between two consoles, and the development costs excessive for one over the other, it wasn't profitable. 

I don't think you quite grasp how significant of a paradigm shift happened in 2005/2006.  Prior to 2005/2006, game developers pushed the hardware on the PC.  They were constantly well ahead of the technological curve of hardware.  That's why you see software-based solutions to graphical processing problems prior to 2006.  The introduction of multi-core processors was the first change, which no game developer took advantage of until the Xbox 360.  PC developers were happy to get a core all to themselves that they could use and let the OS play in the other core.  A tri-core processor, with six hardware threads, all for a game was a big deal.  That was just multi-core symmetrical processing.  The PS3's Cell processor threw and even more extravagant wrench into the works, parrallel processing/programming.  Multi-core symmetrical processing/programming is still far easier than programming for a parrallel processor.  The concept was so foreign to developers that some of the initial PS3 games only utilized the PowerPC core, none of the SPUs.  Programming for parrallel processing involves a lot of code and memory management, as well as performance and timing tweaking.  It was a huge hurdle.  Kudos to Naughty Dog for all of the investment they made in it, but the fact that so many successful western developers struggled with it, there was no hope for small studios that didn't have large cash reserves or Sony to back them while they learned. 

The final challenge were the dynamic performance gains achieved in GPU.  Where as in the past developers were pushing the capabilities of the GPUs almost as soon as they were released, the GPUs that came in the latter part of the decade were far more capable than what most developers could easily push.  Crytek is the only developer I know of in the past 7 years to push the hardware technology that was available to it, and that was early on with Crysis.

Had the PS3 been easier to program for, I think things would have faired better for Japanese developers.        

DOS/Apple/PC = Still non console gaming that made games for home computers. FACT

Halo was to be a MAC game to show how powerful the MAC could be. Steven Jobs though the Halo was coming to the Mac to show how powerful their computer was but Bungie wanted Apple to buy them and they didn't. MS offered to buy and it became a PC/Xbox game once they bought Bungie outright.

Don't tell me they didn't take from the PC realm because they did.

Team Ninja was not and Xbox developer, nor was Sega. They were all third party who had second party contracts with Microsoft.

To all of the people who say hardware isn't an issue for third party devs with Nintendo IT IS! Nintendo answered the question of whether console games could play FPS titles properly.

Again, without the N64's analog stick we would not have been able to Play Doom 64 or Duke Nukem 64 properly on consoles, both which came out in the US before Goldeneye ever landed. Goldeneye was the pinnacle of FPS on consoles at the time because of the realistic hit detection, great map making and set a great standard for Perfect Dark. Rare then split off and created Free Radical who made Time Splitters. 

Enough of the history, back to the point. 

Microsoft took the top PC gaming titles from the PC realm  with them in a flood.

Microsoft brought Lionhead, Valve, Bioware, id was dabbling part time with consoles until they saw the 360's specs and decided to work full time on Rage specifically for consoles, Bethesda came over with Elder Scrolls. Ubisoft and Eidos were making and Dice had been making games. They came in by the boatload. Theres much, much more and they all just seemed to flood in this generation. With all of the western devs who were mostly working on PC flooding in, you mean to tell me this had zero effect on inspiring or increasing the credibility of western games vs the Japanese? They left them in the dust. 

As for the Japan...

had the PS3 been easier to develop for, the result would've remained basically the same. On paper the PS3 was more powerful than the 360. In reality it only had better looking exclusives. Japanese haven't been pushing tech like western devs. Never to the extent, they only have been pushing gameplay, but not really expansive worlds and playing with others in them. Essentially westerners were ahead of them by a generation already. If you look at it PC gaming today is being held back by console gaming, because the top publishers and developers are waiting for console revenue. How many Japanese devs outside of Inafune do you see getting on the case of Japan? Very few. Hideo Kojima has to be depressed because he's figuratively alone right now. I still love the games, but come on, who are we kidding here? Platinum Games is in the safe zone right now developing for the Wii U and you know it. Monolith will finally get hardware to make a proper JRPG and I think right now outside of Versus thats the only one I am interested in. Lost Odyssey was great and when I get the Wii U I will definitely look into buying the digital version of the Last Story.

Western development is growing at an alarming rate and the only thing holding back multiplat PC devs is console development. On the upside their company grows because of the revenue they bring it from consoles. Hopefully Japan shapes up for next gen, because when we see how crazy and expansive the next gen WRPG's are the JRPG's better match up.

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:

As for the Japan...

had the PS3 been easier to develop for, the result would've remained basically the same. On paper the PS3 was more powerful than the 360. In reality it only had better looking exclusives. Japanese haven't been pushing tech like western devs. Never to the extent, they only have been pushing gameplay, but not really expansive worlds and playing with others in them. Essentially westerners were ahead of them by a generation already. If you look at it PC gaming today is being held back by console gaming, because the top publishers and developers are waiting for console revenue. How many Japanese devs outside of Inafune do you see getting on the case of Japan? Very few. Hideo Kojima has to be depressed because he's figuratively alone right now. I still love the games, but come on, who are we kidding here? Platinum Games is in the safe zone right now developing for the Wii U and you know it. Monolith will finally get hardware to make a proper JRPG and I think right now outside of Versus thats the only one I am interested in. Lost Odyssey was great and when I get the Wii U I will definitely look into buying the digital version of the Last Story.

Western development is growing at an alarming rate and the only thing holding back multiplat PC devs is console development. On the upside their company grows because of the revenue they bring it from consoles. Hopefully Japan shapes up for next gen, because when we see how crazy and expansive the next gen WRPG's are the JRPG's better match up.

Agreed!

DevilRising said:
I seem to be one of the few who disagrees with the popular notion (not so surprisingly, popular specifically among western gamers), that western developers have taken over the industry and are SO much better now than Japanese developers are.

It's pretty obvious that the west has risen up within the last couple of generations, with companies like 2K Games, EA, Activision and Ubisoft all really coming into prominence, and studios like Rockstar, Insomniac, Bethesda, Sucker Punch, Bungie, Retro, Naughty Dog, etc. rising to popularity. And I'll also openly admit/lament the fact that many Japanese companies that were once synonymous with greatness and assured quality, such as Squaresoft, Enix, Capcom, Konami, Namco, Sega, etc., have really fallen off within that same span of time, or many more like Hudson Soft, have simply disappeared.

But, beyond that, while I don't deny that western developed games have seemed to take over the industry (other than Nintendo made games), I will absolutely argue the notion that western made games are so much better than Japanese ones these days. And I'm not talking about those aforementioned big studios that have slid in quality. I'm more disappointed than anyone how those companies have turned out, considering they used to make some of my favorite games of all time. BUT, some people seem to like to ignore that there are a lot of great Japanese developers, many of them new, who are excellent and to my mind, still make more creative/more fun games than a good majority of western developed stuff.

Just to name a few: Team Ico (if they'd ever actually hurry the fuck up and finish The Last Guardian), Studio Pixel, Nigoro, Good-Feel, Grasshopper Manufacture, Platinum Games, Vanillaware, Monolith Soft, Intelligent Systems, Camelot, Mistwalker, Treasure, Level-5, Atlus, HAL, Polyphony Digital, etc.

I can't/won't deny that there are a lot of great (especially indie) western dev studios now. But I personally don't think that a lot of the now-popular western devs really deserve quite the amount of hype they get, especially all the purveyors of FPS after FPS. Some of those are even quality games, no doubt. But I just think there is still a hell of a lot more creativity and talent in Japanese devs that many want to think, just not from the major studios (outside of Nintendo). I'd love to see Capcom, Square or Konami return to form and quit putting out bullshit. But I don't trust that to happen. Which is why it's good all of these other, smaller studios do still make great games.

I don't think we ignore them, it's just that we don't see their work. When you many of the talented Japanese devs are better talented then Western, I take that with a grain of salt because I don't see much material to back their status.

You can take whatever with a grain of salt that you wish. It doesn't change the fact that at least there are Japanese devs out there unafraid to try new things, whereas major western devs are locked into long-term franchises and "AAA blockbuster hits". I'd rather have creative approaches to gaming, instead of "Oh look, another game where you shoot things/people with guns!". If you don't see that, you're just not looking hard enough.

There are many large factors that lead to the "fall" of Japanese developers. Minus Nintendo, of course.

One being that they largely moved to handhelds, so it seems as though their home console presence has been diminished. Two, Western developers have overshadowed Japanese devs. so much, recently, that Japanese devs. just can't seem to keep up with their output. Be it quality or not.

Japanese Developers, however, are not as bad as some people make them out to be. Sometimes they go overboard on certain aspects (Really overboard) but there are still some good games being pushed out by the East.

Soriku said:
kupomogli said:
Soriku said:

It's an opportunity cost for them and Tales games are RPGs with a lot of VA and text. It's not that simple, though I'd personally want the Tales games to get priority. They're handling the series well now so this is moot. No use complaining about something that's fixed.

So you really think the voice actors cost that much?  Per person there's maybe five hours of dialogue that's kept.  Maybe 40-120 hours to get that amount.  That's for the main characters.  Say $100 an hour.  120 hours, that's only $12,000 per person.  After all the money that Namco Bandai has paid out, they should still be getting more than two million since they sell more than 200,000 in all regions outside of Japan and they only localize the games with one group of voice actors.  It's either English or Japanese voice acting in Tales games.  .  

There's a lot of text to go through and edit as well. But my point is that Tales games are going to have higher localization costs than a game like Tekken or something but still less. So obviously Namco would prioritize some series over Tales.

Again this really doesn't matter much right now.

A game like Tales doesn't have higher localization costs than Atelier or Neptunia, so that point can not be used.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.