By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - BREAKING: Microsoft to purchase Nokia’s devices & services business, license patents & mapping services for €5.44 billion in cash.

I just want them to buy Sony. That would be hilarious :D I'd have to buy several months of popcorn and a large quantity of umbrellas for that kind of shit storm.

Around the Network
disolitude said:
Train wreck said:
funny how microsoft paid more for skype (8.5 billion dollars) than nokia

Whats even funnier is how Google paid more for Motorolla and got something worth much much less.

Nice one!

ooh boy this should send nok skyrocketing in the stocks. Rubs palms together

theprof00 said:
ooh boy this should send nok skyrocketing in the stocks. Rubs palms together

Err...i don't think you understand this deal.

Microsoft isn't buying Nokia. They are buying device and services part of Nokia. Microsoft stock will soar while Nokia will be lucky to remain flat.

Nokia is going to be a Maps, and network technologies company moving forward.  No more phones for them.

For those that want to understand more about this deal, go through this presentation.

StrategicRationale

Around the Network
Kyuu said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Interesting news. I wonder if this means we'll see Microsoft branded phones instead of Nokia.

That will somewhat defeat the purpose of buying the comany. Nokia is a huge name in the mobile market there's no way MS will not take advantage of that.

I could see them rebrand the phones in some markets, like germany. Because around here, people hate Nokia with a passion because of a factory they closed some years ago which resulted in hundreds of people losing their jobs while Nokia made sky high profits. For some reason, people just won't forget about that. Every time I ask someone about Nokia, they tell me they hate the company for that very reason... 

Anyway, Microsoft buying Nokia was expected. It was just a matter of time.

Official member of VGC's Nintendo family, approved by the one and only RolStoppable. I feel honored.

Kyuu said:
NobleTeam360 said:
Interesting news. I wonder if this means we'll see Microsoft branded phones instead of Nokia.

That will somewhat defeat the purpose of buying the comany. Nokia is a huge name in the mobile market there's no way MS will not take advantage of that.

Err...thats actually the deal. They did not buy Nokia...they bought their device and services part of the company.

They get all the resources, 32,000 employees, including some very high profile executives, designers and talent, phone branding (Lumia, Pureview camera, Asha, probably symbian too...) and get to use Nokia pattents and maps as they please.

But they will not be releasing Nokia branded phones. You will be seeing a Microsoft Lumia 1520 next holiday season.

disolitude said:
Kyuu said:
NobleTeam360 said:

Err...thats actually the deal. They did not buy Nokia...they bought their device and services part of the company.

They get all the resources, 32,000 employees, including some very high profile executives, designers and talent, phone branding (Lumia, Pureview camera, Asha, probably symbian too...) and get to use Nokia pattents and maps as they please.

But they will not be releasing Nokia branded phones. You will be seeing a Microsoft Lumia 1520 next holiday season.

nokia doens own symbian. its an open source OS developed and used by many companies back in the day. companies stop using symbian because its shit compared to andriod

bananaking21 said:
disolitude said:
Kyuu said:
NobleTeam360 said:

nokia doens own symbian. its an open source OS developed and used by many companies back in the day. companies stop using symbian because its shit compared to andriod

Initially Symbian was open sorunce but I believe Nokia owns various forms of symbian like S60 and Anna/Belle as well as Symbian phone related names and IP's...

It makes no sense for nokia to still own that since they don't have a phone business anymore, but it really isn't of much value to Microsoft.

It's a sad day for the people who dreamed of a Nokia built Android phone.

Wii FC: 6440 8298 7583 0720   XBOX GT: WICK1978               PSN: its_the_wick   3DS: 1676-3747-7846                                          Nintendo Network: its-the-wick

Systems I've owned: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, GBColor, N64, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBAdvance, DSlite, PSP, Wii, Xbox360, PS3, 3DS, PSVita, PS4, 3DS XL, Wii U

The best quote I've seen this year:

Angelus said: I'm a moron