By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why the PS4 controller is better than the Xbox One controller

wilco said:

It doesn't matter if they move it up down or sideways, as long as they are parrallel they are wrong.

A lot of these articles that claim DS4 is better than XB1 controller try to praise the 360 and criticize the DS3 to gain credibility. I'm not buying it. The issues with Dualshock were in the fundamental design and that hasn't changed.

The question of which controller is better was resolved as soon as images of xbox one controller appeared online and showed the same form factor as the 360 controller. I don't need to hold it in my hand to know that its better. The only real question is whether or not the dualshock is tolerable enough that I will be able to use it without buying an adaptor.

You will be surprised when get the two at hands

Around the Network

You know the funniest thing? as of right now (having not actually USED either the PS4 or Xbox One controllers), I don't like either. I think both are weird looking compared to their Gen VII counterparts.

I mean, look at it here. My favorite controllers of all time, in order:

1 - Dualshock 3
2 - Xbox 360
3 - Gamecube
4 - WiiU Pro
5 - WiiU Game Pad

So yeah, the Dualshock 4 and Xbone controllers have a huge lot to prove, and based on aesthetics alone, I'm not sold at all. I mean, I'm gonna have to get used to them and I'm sure I will, but as of now, I'm not sold.

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

wilco said:
UncleScrooge said:
I was able to use both controllers at Gamescom and to my surprise the Dualshock 4 just felt better. To those saying the sticks are in the wrong place: They moved the sticks up a tad and now they're way more comfortable to use. For the record: I'm a PS3 owner but I always thought the 360 controller was the better one.

It doesn't matter if they move it up down or sideways, as long as they are parrallel they are wrong.

A lot of these articles that claim DS4 is better than XB1 controller try to praise the 360 and criticize the DS3 to gain credibility. I'm not buying it. The issues with Dualshock were in the fundamental design and that hasn't changed.

The question of which controller is better was resolved as soon as images of xbox one controller appeared online and showed the same form factor as the 360 controller. I don't need to hold it in my hand to know that its better. The only real question is whether or not the dualshock is tolerable enough that I will be able to use it without buying an adaptor.

First bolded) Yeah, your arguement makes so much sense. "Xbox's controller layout design is awful because it has the sticks wonky. It's out of sync and doesn't work." See how easily that is done? Think about it logically. When is things in pairs and not in parallel usually better? How is having your right thumb down okay and your left thumb down not?

2nd Bolded) You have looked at the DS4 right?

For me the Xbox 360 controller is is too big, my index finger hits RF and LF when trying to press the triggers and the unaligned sticks are a silly idea however, the Xbox one controller looks like a nice improvement. Slicker design, slightly smaller and better trigger placements. If anything, looking at the DS4, it's bigger which I don't like. I think the track pad might be too far in the middle (could be stretch for those with smaller hands, kids etc). I look forward to using them both though.

Hmm, pie.

The Fury said:
wilco said:
UncleScrooge said:
I was able to use both controllers at Gamescom and to my surprise the Dualshock 4 just felt better. To those saying the sticks are in the wrong place: They moved the sticks up a tad and now they're way more comfortable to use. For the record: I'm a PS3 owner but I always thought the 360 controller was the better one.

First bolded) Yeah, your arguement makes so much sense. "Xbox's controller layout design is awful because it has the sticks wonky. It's out of sync and doesn't work." See how easily that is done? Think about it logically. When is things in pairs and not in parallel usually better? How is having your right thumb down okay and your left thumb down not?

2nd Bolded) You have looked at the DS4 right?

For me the Xbox 360 controller is is too big, my index finger hits RF and LF when trying to press the triggers and the unaligned sticks are a silly idea however, the Xbox one controller looks like a nice improvement. Slicker design, slightly smaller and better trigger placements. If anything, looking at the DS4, it's bigger which I don't like. I think the track pad might be too far in the middle (could be stretch for those with smaller hands, kids etc). I look forward to using them both though.

The scenerio of the right thumb being down while the left thumb is not is more applicable to the DS3. I.E.. if you play a hack and slash on the PS3 you will have to have one thumb down to move your characer and one thumb up to attack. On the 360 your thumbs would be parrallel.

Common sense and good design dictate that the most commonly used inputs should be in primary positions. For most games the most used inputs would be the left thumbstick and the face buttons. Hence their positioning on the Xbox 360 controller. Putting the d-pad in a primary position when the d-pad is rarely used in modern games is just dumb. Thats a holdover from the 1990's platform era that Sony simply hasn't bothered to update.

wilco said:

The scenerio of the right thumb being down while the left thumb is not is more applicable to the DS3. I.E.. if you play a hack and slash on the PS3 you will have to have one thumb down to move your characer and one thumb up to attack. On the 360 your thumbs would be parrallel.

Common sense and good design dictate that the most commonly used inputs should be in primary positions. For most games the most used inputs would be the left thumbstick and the face buttons. Hence their positioning on the Xbox 360 controller. Putting the d-pad in a primary position when the d-pad is rarely used in modern games is just dumb. Thats a holdover from the 1990's platform era that Sony simply hasn't bothered to update.

Funny. I've been gaming since 1988, and I've never ever had problems with where the Dualshock 2 and Dualshock 3's analogs are.  It's always been ideal to me.  Maybe I'm just OCD, but having the left and right analogs offset like the Xbox 360's always kinda felt wrong to me...having them not be symmetrical.  

That said, the 360 and PS3 controllers are my two favorite of all time, so both are viable, but I wouldn't go so far as to say one is in any way superior than the other.  To claim that is just plain biased, and your loyalty is showing. 

There are a lot of ways to compare and contrast controllers, but debating the merits of ONE analog stick location is just plain silly.  Nothing more than that. It's silly and mundane and shows that some people will go to any lengths to justify their beliefs, even if it means preaching values that are nothing more than insignificant, personal preferences.  

My Console Library:

PS5, Switch, XSX

PS4, PS3, PS2, PS1, WiiU, Wii, GCN, N64 SNES, XBO, 360

3DS, DS, GBA, Vita, PSP, Android

Around the Network

Both controllers looks really good but I think I will prefer the DS4 controller.

NNID: FrequentFlyer54