By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Inafune says Japanese industry has "gotten worse"

Tagged games:

Do you agree with him?

Yes 75 75.00%

No 25 25.00%

Total:100

Wasn't this the guy who was complaining about how the industry was not original enough? Then his solution for the right thing to do is to come out with the most unoriginal new IP in history?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
UltimateUnknown said:
Wait until Atlus releases Persona 5, then he'll have to retract every sentence. Save the Japanese industry Atlus.

At least Atlus is starting to develop some more games now, especially compared to the PS2 years they have been mostly absent in the 7th gen. Hopefully the buyout doesn't fuck them up.

Seems like a fair statement to me :/ Back in the PS2 days Japan was the mother land of great games, now it's somewhat depressing. Other than some of the big boys (such at MGS), their games have become rather stale compared to some of the stuff western developers are pumping out.

Jumpin said:
Wasn't this the guy who was complaining about how the industry was not original enough? Then his solution for the right thing to do is to come out with the most unoriginal new IP in history?

Nope. He is voicing his concern in 2 areas of Japanese game design. Over reliance on IP's made decades ago and Japan ability to not make any global impact. Might Number 9 is more than just a Mega Man game. There is point behind its development.

BasilZero said:
Xxain said:
BasilZero said:
Xxain said:
Lets take a look:

Level 5 - I remember when this company was touted as next SE. Yea fuckin right. What have they done this entire generation?

Ni No Kuni and Professor Layton?

Ni no Kuni didnt even do anything for genre. Definitely nothing for market. Ni No Kuni is actual is what is wrong with Japan. Living off the past hardly building a future.

Were you expecting Pokemon, Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts numbers? There's not a single jRPG that can match up with those franchises.

Not even Persona - as good as they may be couldnt live up to those above mention franchises.

Check the charts - those above mention IPs have their games all over at the top, middle are Western RPGs and at the bottom are the new/current gen jRPGs.

---

One of the issues is that people in the past expected games from SE, Capcom and Namco - and other japanese companies but western companies have come up with their own ideas and the gaming population boomed.

jRPGs arent dead - they are foreshadowed by other genres like Open World and FPS.

I doubt we'll see any jRPG from anyone making as many sales in the past.

People just arent interested in Japanese games as much as many people here may think. Brand name is the only reason why the above mention games and other games like Metal Gear Solid sell.

Ni No Kuni is a good game however dont expect it to make millions - the reason why it didnt sell isnt because it was a bad game - its because people arent as interested in the genre or the type.

Proof?

25 Final Fantasy XIII PS3 2009 Role-Playing Square Enix 1.59 1.03 1.87 0.50 4.99

When you have the "worst" RPG ever made and yet it sold that much just on one console tells you that brand names still have a hold on to them.

Ni No Kuni did not sell well because it has purposely limited global appeal(Primary issue with Japan). It was aimed at people who like studio Ghibli work. I dont expect every Jrpg to do Final Fantasy numbers(Which is actually pretty tame compared to western games). But 100k is embarrassing. JRPG's not popular anymore do to never evolving with the times. JRPG's mainly still feel SNES, PS1 games. These problems can fixed! Things just to die. They die when one steps up to revitalize them. No one revitalized JRPG genre this gen.

Around the Network

Japan's failure is self inflicted. Stop making excuses for them.

As long they keep bringing those Monster Hunter games I'm not complaining.

the-pi-guy said:
Xxain said:
Ni No Kuni did not sell well because it has purposely limited global appeal(Primary issue with Japan). It was aimed at people who like studio Ghibli work. I dont expect every Jrpg to do Final Fantasy numbers(Which is actually pretty tame compared to western games). But 100k is embarrassing. JRPG's not popular anymore do to never evolving with the times. JRPG's mainly still feel SNES, PS1 games. These problems can fixed! Things just to die. They die when one steps up to revitalize them. No one revitalized JRPG genre this gen.

What's wrong with only selling 100k if they manage to make a profit?

Because it means you made a dirt cheap. That's all. In order for Japan to return to form they collectively need popular franchise that have global appeal. Does 100k sound like its popular?

the-pi-guy said:
Xxain said:
the-pi-guy said:
Xxain said:

What's wrong with only selling 100k if they manage to make a profit?

Because it means you made a dirt cheap. That's all. In order for Japan to return to form they collectively need popular franchise that have global appeal. Does 100k sound like its popular?

Just because it was made "dirt cheap" doesn't mean it's a bad game.  I don't really understand your mentality when it comes to small games/indie games==bad.  It's not something that's necessary.  There are thousands of different games, it's unlikely most of them will even sell 100k, let alone whatever you expect them to sell.  The more it sells the more likely they'll be able to build up the next one, so if the first game sells 100k and then the 2nd game sells 200k, then they are able to spend more.  

I just don't get it, it's not like all millionaires were born millionaires, they were built up and then perhaps at some point the next one is born a millionaire.  It's not like this kind of thing just happens though.  A 100k game should have made about 2.4 million dollars, do you have 2.4 million dollars lying around to make a game like that?

Japan seems to have mostly small development teams, so they make smaller games or take longer to make larger games.  

How does a game that profits off 100k help the japanese market? Japan has to many of those type IP's. A game that makes money off such a little amount indictive of a game targeted group at a very very very small size. That's the kinda numbers Compiled Shit expects. Even Nis expects better numbers than that. Games with that target audience or budget could resonate with a global audience.. unless its a smart phone.

the-pi-guy said:
Xxain said:

How does a game that profits off 100k help the japanese market? Japan has to many of those type IP's. A game that makes money off such a little amount indictive of a game targeted group at a very very very small size. That's the kinda numbers Compiled Shit expects. Even Nis expects better numbers than that. Games with that target audience or budget could resonate with a global audience.. unless its a smart phone.

Based on the fact that they are still making these games, that should be indicative of something, not everything has to be a huge seller.  If only 100 people in the world had a disease, but it was guaranteed to kill them, would you think that a cure would not be worth it because it does not affect many people.  These games affect 1000x as many people in [obviously] lesser ways, but people are still affected by them.  

Japan makes a lot of niche titles, but without them, there would be a lot of people who wouldn't be getting them obviously.  Just because America is going for the big budget titles, doesn't mean Japan has to also.  

We are on 2 different pages here. We are in a thread about Japan's decent into irrelevance and then obscurity. A game that sells 100k is not a popular game regardless of the profit. Big players in Japanese need to move away from those kind games.. that are most likely otaku fetish or games that involve stupid orange ninja's or origami eyes and start creating IP's that challenge western games.