By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - In what way did Sony ever think they could compete with Nintendo in the handheld market?

iamdeath said:
tbone51 said:
iamdeath said:
platformmaster918 said:
They tried to be too high end with Vita and DS just had too many catchy titles. Also they've never made a Pokemon or anything that was really signature with their handheld. Just a bunch of lesser versions of home console titles. That's why even though I can't live without Sony home consoles I never have fun playing their handhelds. Everyone said how wonderful Uncharted was then I played it and just thought "not as good as any of the home ones" which may not be fair but it's what I think when I'm playing Vita.

Vitas issues have ZERO to do with it being too high end, its not even that high end. Although Killzone mercenary looks amazing..

Vita willl be fine, its a marathon not a race. Doesn't need to outsell 3ds.

it cant either way. Will vita have 30mil lifetime? I think 35mil but i cant say for sure yet, Sony isn't supporting it as a handheld but as a controller/Indie Gaming!

Sony isn't supporting it?? Then why is KZ mercenary, Tearaway being made my sony first party. Why was Uncharted made? What aboput gravity rush?  Y's memory of celceta and FF X HD is coming in a few months. Why is more coming? Sorry that's BS.

lol, 3 games isn't anything, Uncharted and others you mention are out last year(i said not supporting now), then you mention a game thats also on PS3, Killzone will be a great FPS but it doesn't even have 50k pre orders in NoA(biggest game on vita thats exclusive), tearaway new ip(ok fine exclusive), but last time i checked, Sony said Gamescon is a Vita show... How? Price cut is good but PS4 is the star, not vita. How much do you think Vita will go up by from the price drop? I thought around 35k from US and another 35k in Europe but 90% of users here dont even think 20k is plausible!(this includes sony only gamers), Not BS, Just facts, Sony is pushing Connectivity and its ashame cuz Vita has the best specs and unique games such as gravity rush need to be made! Where is the GoW Exclusive? GTA? Monster Hunter? sony fans are asking for games.thats all im saying, WiiU had no support for 8 months! Vita a handheld is selling terrible cz of software and terrible memory card price! 2DS was announced and it doesn't look well for vita, but like i say with everyting have to wait and see. Here right now there is no support on vita for major software imo, WiiU has only 4 Big games and i hardly call that support

Around the Network
TGM said:
iamdeath said:
TGM said:
iamdeath said:
TGM said:
I should have worded my post better. When i say "vita sucks" i mean it has no games really worth getting therefore there is really no reason why you should buy it right now.

Yes ive played one several times. i tried Mvc3, Uncharted and some puzzle game. It looked great and played great but 2 of those games are pretty much the same versions of the ones on the ps3 so again no need to buy them when i already have them.

Simply not true....... You played 2 games and 1 puzzle game so you are an expert? ROFL. Vita has dozens of great games now, persona 4 IMO is better then anything on 3ds. The show is the best portable sports game...ever. Killzone mercenary is amazing. GRavity rush is excellent as well, as virtues last reward, and many more. Not to mention, all those great iindies. I also missed out on the PSP so playing all those PSP games with improved visuals and I have a massiver backlog.

Sorry this vita has no games is a bs lie.

I never said i was an expert so dont put those words in my mouth. 

And when a console/handheld is said to have "no good games" it doesnt literally mean there are ZERO GOOD GAMES on the system. It means that the critics/public have deemed the system to have overall no good games. SALES proved this to be true. That is where i am coming from. If i was wrong, we would see Vitas fly off the shelves across america almost nonstop but the facts are that they simply are not. Thats all i am saying.

Disagree, price, market conditions are way more the reason vita started off slow, and lets not forget the memory cards...I do believe however, the system will pick up over time and have a healthy install base.

Public perception and media perception is often very skewed, People were still sayng just 2 years ago ps3 had no games...........................which is idiotic.

I agree it will pick up but i highly doubt it will ever catch and/or beat the 3ds. That was the reason why i posted in the first place. I was also saying 2nd place is indeed last place but it is NOT a bad thing as slong as you are making money. But if the vita is STILL selling at a loss AND it took a price cut, thats not good at all.

Who said it would beat 3ds. Why does it have to? It doesn't. Do we know for sure they are selling at a loss, I read at launch they were making a small profit on each unit, and then when you factor in the memory cards.......................

tbone51 said:
iamdeath said:
tbone51 said:
iamdeath said:
platformmaster918 said:
They tried to be too high end with Vita and DS just had too many catchy titles. Also they've never made a Pokemon or anything that was really signature with their handheld. Just a bunch of lesser versions of home console titles. That's why even though I can't live without Sony home consoles I never have fun playing their handhelds. Everyone said how wonderful Uncharted was then I played it and just thought "not as good as any of the home ones" which may not be fair but it's what I think when I'm playing Vita.

Vitas issues have ZERO to do with it being too high end, its not even that high end. Although Killzone mercenary looks amazing..

Vita willl be fine, its a marathon not a race. Doesn't need to outsell 3ds.

it cant either way. Will vita have 30mil lifetime? I think 35mil but i cant say for sure yet, Sony isn't supporting it as a handheld but as a controller/Indie Gaming!

Sony isn't supporting it?? Then why is KZ mercenary, Tearaway being made my sony first party. Why was Uncharted made? What aboput gravity rush?  Y's memory of celceta and FF X HD is coming in a few months. Why is more coming? Sorry that's BS.

lol, 3 games isn't anything, Uncharted and others you mention are out last year(i said not supporting now), then you mention a game thats also on PS3, Killzone will be a great FPS but it doesn't even have 50k pre orders in NoA(biggest game on vita thats exclusive), tearaway new ip(ok fine exclusive), but last time i checked, Sony said Gamescon is a Vita show... How? Price cut is good but PS4 is the star, not vita. How much do you think Vita will go up by from the price drop? I thought around 35k from US and another 35k in Europe but 90% of users here dont even think 20k is plausible!(this includes sony only gamers), Not BS, Just facts, Sony is pushing Connectivity and its ashame cuz Vita has the best specs and unique games such as gravity rush need to be made! Where is the GoW Exclusive? GTA? Monster Hunter? sony fans are asking for games.thats all im saying, WiiU had no support for 8 months! Vita a handheld is selling terrible cz of software and terrible memory card price! 2DS was announced and it doesn't look well for vita, but like i say with everyting have to wait and see. Here right now there is no support on vita for major software imo, WiiU has only 4 Big games and i hardly call that support

?? LOL, I didn't list every game coming I just used examples, there are MORE, a lot more. It is a fairly common conversation technique LOL. Sony is making games for it and manby are coming that is support. As the install base gets bigger more third party support will come.

How is pushing another good feature of the device a bad thing? That makes no sense.

GOW will come, as well others, Sony has to split devs to vita and ps4 and ps3, not easy.

they might have wolves and sharks on their handheld market...
but they have bunnies and goldfish handling their wii u....

kupomogli said:

Sony can only hope the 3DS' successor is less powerful than the Vita, then they can come out and say they're not releasing another portable yet and the Vita will be available for two cycles. Vita will have the larger userbase.

Sony will be repeating their mistake then. The handheld market is not about power. It is about unique possibilities. They know that now.

Stylus + 2 screens went a long way for Nintendo.

Around the Network

Vita is not priority to SONY now cause they are fighting a bigger war with their new home console, that makes Vita the big loser out of the new generation.

Now, I really wanna see people reactions when PS4 doesn't sell what people are expecting...

Well the psp will have outsold the gameboy advance by spring next year. They could have won this gen if they opted for internal memory and made smarter software decisions.

I think that the 3DS/2DS might be the last of Nintendo's handheld consoles for some time. Despite very good sales the bottom line is more and more people are playing games on their phone. Apple and Android pose the biggest threat to the 3DS - not Sony. For the amount of $ that it takes to develop a new console, and with Wii U sales not setting the world on fire I think Nintendo will try to milk every last drop out of the 3DS before even considering a new handheld. As as for Sony? The Vita will be the last one they produce....

carlos3189 said:

Now, I really wanna see people reactions when PS4 doesn't sell what people are expecting...

Not going to happen. Pre-orders already are huge.

iamdeath said:
TGM said:
iamdeath said:
TGM said:
iamdeath said:
TGM said:
I should have worded my post better. When i say "vita sucks" i mean it has no games really worth getting therefore there is really no reason why you should buy it right now.

Yes ive played one several times. i tried Mvc3, Uncharted and some puzzle game. It looked great and played great but 2 of those games are pretty much the same versions of the ones on the ps3 so again no need to buy them when i already have them.

Simply not true....... You played 2 games and 1 puzzle game so you are an expert? ROFL. Vita has dozens of great games now, persona 4 IMO is better then anything on 3ds. The show is the best portable sports game...ever. Killzone mercenary is amazing. GRavity rush is excellent as well, as virtues last reward, and many more. Not to mention, all those great iindies. I also missed out on the PSP so playing all those PSP games with improved visuals and I have a massiver backlog.

Sorry this vita has no games is a bs lie.

I never said i was an expert so dont put those words in my mouth. 

And when a console/handheld is said to have "no good games" it doesnt literally mean there are ZERO GOOD GAMES on the system. It means that the critics/public have deemed the system to have overall no good games. SALES proved this to be true. That is where i am coming from. If i was wrong, we would see Vitas fly off the shelves across america almost nonstop but the facts are that they simply are not. Thats all i am saying.

Disagree, price, market conditions are way more the reason vita started off slow, and lets not forget the memory cards...I do believe however, the system will pick up over time and have a healthy install base.

Public perception and media perception is often very skewed, People were still sayng just 2 years ago ps3 had no games...........................which is idiotic.

I agree it will pick up but i highly doubt it will ever catch and/or beat the 3ds. That was the reason why i posted in the first place. I was also saying 2nd place is indeed last place but it is NOT a bad thing as slong as you are making money. But if the vita is STILL selling at a loss AND it took a price cut, thats not good at all.

Who said it would beat 3ds. Why does it have to? It doesn't. Do we know for sure they are selling at a loss, I read at launch they were making a small profit on each unit, and then when you factor in the memory cards.......................

Well when you COMPETE with something/someone 99.99999999% of the time it is to be in 1st and not last. If Sony KNEW it couldnt win and decided to put out a system it knew would be in last place then..........LMAO

Get off you Sony fanboy wagon and realize i am not against Sony and i am not a "Nintendo iz da bezt" person. Sony has always had great products and and i have owned several of them but it bothers me when people leap on me for "insulting" Vita or PSP or ps3....ect. Accept it, Vita is in last place right now. YES it is a great system.YES it can change its momentum but it isnt likely.