By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Evidence for the existence of God

well you can take a lot of scriptures and make them look contradictory. But that's another thread :-p

Around the Network

talking about Me on a video game forum?! may I have mercy on you.

That Guy said:
well you can take a lot of scriptures and make them look contradictory. But that's another thread :-p

Why would it matter if the scriptures aren't internally consistent? 

fkusumot said:

The bible quotes Jesus as saying "I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword". He was a divider, not a uniter. Setting a son against father and all that. Christianity is supposed to be divisive, or so its founder said. Maybe he was just misquoted.

naturally. no religion can grow without diverging from the status quo. but at the same time every religion that intends to go 'casual' can't be rational in its arguments. that's why the same guy told a few days laters to his friends "love one another" and stuff like that. it's like making a salm for the PS3 and then conceive a little exclusive pray for the Wii. Christianity is like EA.

Don't forget to quote in context. Matthew 10:26-42 is where you get that quote. Jesus said it in the context of persecution and fear of persecution. this the entire passage:
"So don't be afraid of those people. Everything that is hidden will be shown. Everything that is secret will be made known. I tell you these things in the dark (secretly). But I want you to tell these things in the light. I speak these things quietly and only to you. But you should tell these things freely to all people. Don't be afraid of people. They can only kill the body. They cannot kill the soul. The only one you should fear is the One (God) that can destroy the body and the soul. He can send the body and the soul to hell. When birds are sold, two small birds cost only a penny. But not even one of those little birds can die without your Father knowing it. God even knows how many hairs are on your head. So don't be afraid. You are worth much more than many birds. "When a person stands before other people and says he believes in me, then I will say that person belongs to me. I will say this before my Father in heaven. But when a person stands before people and says he does not believe in me, then I will say that person does not belong to me. I will say this before my Father in heaven. "Don't think that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace. I came to bring a sword. I have come to make this happen: 'The people in a person's own family will be his enemies. A son will be against his father. A daughter will be against her mother. A daughter-in-law will be against her mother-in-law.' "Any person that loves his father or mother more than he loves me is not good enough to follow me. Any person who loves his son or daughter more than he loves me is not good enough to follow me. If a person will not accept the cross (suffering) that will be given to him when he follows me, then that person is not good enough for me. Any person that loves his life {more than he loves me} will lose true life. Any person that gives up his life for me will find true life. The person that accepts you also accepts me. And the person that accepts me also accepts the One (God) that sent me. Any person that meets a prophet and accepts him will get the same reward a prophet gets. And any person that accepts a good man because that man is good will get the same reward a good man gets. If any person helps one of these little ones because they are my followers, then that person will truly get his reward. That person will get his reward even if he only gave my follower a cup of cold water."

So the context of what Jesus was saying was clearly to encourage people to stand up for His sake so that they may have true life after death. During this time period the new believers were very harshly persecuted and put to death (Roman Persecutions). He was leaving words to live by.

I want my WHOLE paycheck! I support the Fair Tax!

http://www.fairtax.org/

Around the Network

@That guy: that's one of the most used arguments to defend the bible,but don't say nothing at all.
@Eomund: about Job,is not God almost playing with Job while God and Satan make the bet upon him?treat like sinner to the most devoted man in that time just to prove something to the devil is wrong don't you think?even if Job take it.I don't believe in a God that is only watching and playing the game of who wins,the bad or good,with us as his toys.

Eomund said:
Don't forget to quote in context. Matthew 10:26-42 is where you get that quote. Jesus said it in the context of persecution and fear of persecution. this the entire passage:

[DELETED TEXT] 

So the context of what Jesus was saying was clearly to encourage people to stand up for His sake so that they may have true life after death. During this time period the new believers were very harshly persecuted and put to death (Roman Persecutions). He was leaving words to live by.

I was actually thinking of Luke 12:51, but, you have a real talent for spin. You're like a little mustard seed.

The Old Law (10 Commandments) showed how absolute the rules of God were and that no man was able to meet God's standard of morality and purity.

purity? if god is pure and he created everything then where did evil came from?

r2007 said:
fkusumot said:

The bible quotes Jesus as saying "I come not to bring peace, but to bring a sword". He was a divider, not a uniter. Setting a son against father and all that. Christianity is supposed to be divisive, or so its founder said. Maybe he was just misquoted.

naturally. no religion can grow without diverging from the status quo. but at the same time every religion that intends to go 'casual' can't be rational in its arguments. that's why the same guy told a few days laters to his friends "love one another" and stuff like that. it's like making a salm for the PS3 and then conceive a little exclusive pray for the Wii. Christianity is like EA.

You mean Christianity works its employees like dogs and takes its followers for all they're worth?  Kinda harsh but I guess there is plenty of evidence to support that. 

Tag (courtesy of fkusumot): "Please feel free -- nay, I encourage you -- to offer rebuttal."
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
My advice to fanboys: Brag about stuff that's true, not about stuff that's false. Predict stuff that's likely, not stuff that's unlikely. You will be happier, and we will be happier.

"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." - Sen. Pat Moynihan
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The old smileys: ; - ) : - ) : - ( : - P : - D : - # ( c ) ( k ) ( y ) If anyone knows the shortcut for , let me know!
I have the most epic death scene ever in VGChartz Mafia.  Thanks WordsofWisdom! 

It just seems to me that if many Christians weren't raised Christian and you told them the stories of Christianity, they would seem as strange as the viking or greek gods seem to us. Instead though, Christians look at every other religion and say how crazy and wrong they are when Christianity itself has just as many crazy sounding parts to it (talking snakes, giant boats filled with every animal in the world, people rising from the dead, etc, etc). The point is, every religious person believes their religion is the right religion and believes this because their religion says it's the right religion. You can argue all the details for why this or that part of the Bible could be true, but in the end Christianity is really no different than any other religion that's ever existed.

The whole point of religion itself is making people feel comfortable. It comforts them to know that the bad get what they deserve, that there's something after death for them and their loved ones, that they are loved unconditionally, that they have answers for all the big questions about personal and universal existence. To question these beliefs is a very uncomfortable thing to do, and I fully expect caution, wariness and even anger towards people who suggest otherwise.

I'm not claiming religion is bad, or that no one should believe in a God or anything like that. I write this with no hostility towards any person or any group. I'm just saying to view things critically with an open mind. Myself, I'm agnostic. The way I see it, you've got the atheists over here yelling how they're certain there isn't a God, then you have the religious people over here yelling how they're certain there is, when if fact nobody has any idea at all.