By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo announces holiday release dates and lineup (non-ghost version)

outlawauron said:
kanageddaamen said:

As a software developer I can tell you that is simply not the case.  Adequate testing is not difficult to do, it just takes time.  Since consumers have accepted the "rush to release and patch later" development model, patches have become ubiquitous.  Were people to say its nonsense (which it is) the games would take longer to reach release but would not require patching later on, whether it be for bug fixes or balance issues.

But developers do not have that luxury. In our current market, they are forced to meet deadlines by publishers who require games to be out by certain dates and times. EA employs thousands(!) of testers, and their games have bugs and glitches that dozens of patches do not fix. While I think developers should still be criticized for bugs, I'm not naive enough to expect there never to be a patch of fix for my games.

1) Doesn't matter if publishers are at fault, they are supposed to give us a quality product.

2) When it comes to software, a good management includes testing with the deadlines. Doesn't matter how big the project is, as a programmer I can tell you that. This is further proof that the game industry is having severe management problems (like game sales not meeting expectations, that's another big problem)

3) No software is perfect, there are always going to be bugs, and as a software programmer I definitely know that. But there's a big difference when those bugs are intentional or just happen casually. For example, Ocarina of Time is probably the most broken game in existence but those are stuff found intentionally by gamers, the software isn't perfect because it has those bugs but on a normal playthrough you rarely find any bugs and stuff, that's good testing. Then you have games like Skyrim that you get an infinite amount of bugs by just walking with your horse, it's not intentional and what it's fun to see a couple of times, it gets annoying after a while, that's bad testing.

4) Sometimes publishers and developers simple don't pay attention to the testers. They find a bug and they just don't care, or maybe they don't have time, but then again if it is the latter it goes to my 2nd point. 

The point is that, because publishers aren't maneging the developments correctly (or at least it looks like that on the surface) then we are having this type of problems. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

Around the Network
osed125 said:
outlawauron said:
kanageddaamen said:

As a software developer I can tell you that is simply not the case.  Adequate testing is not difficult to do, it just takes time.  Since consumers have accepted the "rush to release and patch later" development model, patches have become ubiquitous.  Were people to say its nonsense (which it is) the games would take longer to reach release but would not require patching later on, whether it be for bug fixes or balance issues.

But developers do not have that luxury. In our current market, they are forced to meet deadlines by publishers who require games to be out by certain dates and times. EA employs thousands(!) of testers, and their games have bugs and glitches that dozens of patches do not fix. While I think developers should still be criticized for bugs, I'm not naive enough to expect there never to be a patch of fix for my games.

1) Doesn't matter if publishers are at fault, they are supposed to give us a quality product.

2) When it comes to software, a good management includes testing with the deadlines. Doesn't matter how big the project is, as a programmer I can tell you that. This is further proof that the game industry is having severe management problems (like game sales not meeting expectations, that's another big problem)

3) No software is perfect, there are always going to be bugs, and as a software programmer I definitely know that. But there's a big difference when those bugs are intentional or just happen casually. For example, Ocarina of Time is probably the most broken game in existence but those are stuff found intentionally by gamers, the software isn't perfect because it has those bugs but on a normal playthrough you rarely find any bugs and stuff, that's good testing. Then you have games like Skyrim that you get an infinite amount of bugs by just walking with your horse, it's not intentional and what it's fun to see a couple of times, it gets annoying after a while, that's bad testing.

4) Sometimes publishers and developers simple don't pay attention to the testers. They find a bug and they just don't care, or maybe they don't have time, but then again if it is the latter it goes to my 2nd point. 

The point is that, because publishers aren't maneging the developments correctly (or at least it looks like that on the surface) then we are having this type of problems. 

On top of the points above, were there a consumer lashback against rushed project policies, the companies would revise them, but people accept it as par for the course, which it need not be.

Monument Games, Inc.  Like us on Facebook!

http://www.facebook.com/MonumentGames

Nintendo Netword ID: kanageddaamen

Monument Games, Inc President and Lead Designer
Featured Game: Shiftyx (Android) https://market.android.com/details?id=com.MonumentGames.Shiftyx

Free ad supported version:
https://market.android.com/details?id=com.MonumentGames.ShiftyxFree

osed125 said:
outlawauron said:
kanageddaamen said:

What is determined a quality product is subjective. If bugs were seen as a very bad thing, then every Bioware and Bethesda title wouldn't have been given any awards, because they're worst when it comes to that.

And I do agree with you that the game industry is incredibly ineffecient and doesn't have enough suits involved on the management side. 

And I don't think any bug is left intentionally, and I do know that not knowing how many gamers play is a problem with testing. Many bugs are never encountered because the testers haven't done certain actions like someone who plays the game a lot would do (like the many hurry-up no huddle playbook glitches in NCAA).

Your last point is something that varies developer by developer and I agree to a certain extent. There are a ton of lazy developer who ignore problems they don't know how to fix immediately. That's why I admire a team that is willing to provide a lot of support post-launch and later into the life of the game.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

outlawauron said:

1) What is determined a quality product is subjective. If bugs were seen as a very bad thing, then every Bioware and Bethesda title wouldn't have been given any awards, because they're worst when it comes to that.

2) And I don't think any bug is left intentionally, and I do know that not knowing how many gamers play is a problem with testing. Many bugs are never encountered because the testers haven't done certain actions like someone who plays the game a lot would do (like the many hurry-up no huddle playbook glitches in NCAA).

1) I'm talking more in a sense of software quality. Even Skyrim with it's endless bugs was a very good game, I'm just talking from a technical perspective (which is very important imo).

2) Those bugs are fine because it requires specific actions that a normal player won't do. Testers and developers shouldn't be penalize for those type of bugs, but bugs that happen just because you are walking should indeed be penalize. 

Nintendo and PC gamer

Mr Khan said:

I love that Zelda gamepad. If only it had a picture of Zelda himself on the back it would be an instabuy.

Nintendo Network ID: Cheebee   3DS Code: 2320 - 6113 - 9046

Around the Network
Cheebee said:
Mr Khan said:

I love that Zelda gamepad. If only it had a picture of Zelda himself on the back it would be an instabuy.

Now come and tell me the robot girl is not called Metroid.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

EricFabian said:
WagnerPaiva said:
As I understand, I need a HD with its own power source, these cost a fortune in Brazil, like 300 dollars...

dafuq man! Where do you live? Here in Manaus you can buy 3 1TB HDD for $300 o.o

With external power source? HDD is cheap, but the external power thingy is not. I live in SERRA NEGRA, SÃO PAULO.

My grammar errors are justified by the fact that I am a brazilian living in Brazil. I am also very stupid.

Mr Khan said:

You fail as a person.

They should have included nintendo land in that bundle....oh well, looks like im finally getting a wii u this september

$299 with Zelda WWHD and Hyrule Historia? That's a sweet deal, I may have to try to get this for Christmas just to keep in the box :)

Also Wind Waker coming out on 9/20 is earlier than expected isn't it? And November 22nd is gonna be a big day, Mario (Wii U) and Zelda/MarioParty (3DS) I'll only be getting Zelda this year but dang - maybe I should get a part time job on the weekends to just pay for my Nintendo habit.

Systems Currently Playing: WiiU, PS3, 3DS

Also Have: Atari 2600, NES, SNES, PS1, N64, PS2, Wii, GB, GBC, GBA, DSLite, DSi, Android (RazorMax), iPhone (4), iPad (2)