By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - Do you sometimes find movies better than games in general?

In general, do you sometimes find movies better than games?

Yeah 15 53.57%

Not really 9 32.14%

It depends 4 14.29%

Total:28

I've noticed that the games industry is in a place right now where it mostly aims to win the hearts of children, or the sales of people who like very violent or ego-strocking themes.

In so doing, the industry makes use of caricatures and cliches that appeal to those dollars.

Do you feel sometimes like movies are a better artform in movie-making history, and that actors often bring a charm that most games can't ever?

Do you find that movie classics are only very rarely on the same playing field as some gaming classics?

I'm interested in your opinions.

Around the Network

I think it's more that it's easier to make a good film than it is to make a good game, but when done right I find games to be greatly more satisfying than any film could be.

Especially recently we have seen some incredible games. I finished Bioshock Infinite a few days ago and was far more engaged in it's story than I ever am in a film, as I was experiencing the story rather than just watching it. Especially the last hour or so, it's was stunningly well told.

Back in the day, the Wing Commander series was all about hiring actors to portray the storyline between gameplay. Now, it's all cgi cut scenes that I bypass most of the time because they are so redundant. Still have those games somewhere....

No way, a good game is better than a good movie by default.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.

landguy1 said:
Back in the day, the Wing Commander series was all about hiring actors to portray the storyline between gameplay. Now, it's all cgi cut scenes that I bypass most of the time because they are so redundant. Still have those games somewhere....

the problem is not that cutscenes are cgi, the problem is that the writing/directing/delivery in most games is just terrible

Around the Network
Lafiel said:
landguy1 said:

the problem is not that cutscenes are cgi, the problem is that the writing/directing/delivery in most games is just terrible

I agree, I think that the CGI leads to that.  THe CGI requires tons of work to put together and by the end of it, it's too late to try and bring back or put passion into it.  If a real person cut scene doesn't "feel" right after a take, they can watch it and redo it on the spot.  I would thin that as games become more and more lifelike, you could insert live action into this stuff without so much obvious change.  Maybe not even this next gen yet though.

Movies for the most part are just a way to pass time. Only a handful have capture my mind and really gained my respect. Games on the other hand are interactive engaging experiences. I have drifted away to another world many times in games. When I think back about games, it is like an experience that I lived or a journey I had with a friend. Looking back at movies I just remember the stupid one liners, or the songs. Very rarely do I remember what actually happened along the way.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

I find movies to be way more emotionally moving, that's for sure. Overall better? Hard to say that. There are amazing movies and amazing games. I love some good story, movie, or series, but I prefer games overall.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

what if the game is an interactive movie?

MohammadBadir said:
what if the game is an interactive movie?

Would it be more like a game in how it relays the themes, or more like a game?

If more like a movie, then it wins as a movie. If more like a game, then it's hurt in its storytelling.