By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - So PS4 Is Basically Going To Win This Gen, Right?

Play4Fun said:
Captain_Tom said:

Dude the information is everywhere I mean come on.  Hell I'll oblige you a little.  Here is the difference between the GPU's:

-Cores: 320 vs 1152

-Speed: 550MHz vs 800 Mhz

-Bandwidth: 12.8 GB/s vs 176 GB/s

-Manufacturing process: 40nm vs 28nm

(Smaller is better, generally AMD's 28nm architecture in the PS4 is 1.6x faster than the same card manufactured in the 40nm architecture)

The PS4 has 3.6x as many cores running 1.5x faster on a architecture that is 1.6 times faster clock-for-clock.   3.6 x 1.5 x 1.6 = 8.6.  Then throw in the fact that the PS4 has 14x the memory bandwidth and can send multiple instructions per cycle and it should be obvious how much the PS4 steamrolls the Wii U.  

First of all,  the facepalm worthy math that you pulled out of nowhere (  3.6 x 1.5 x 1.6 = 8.6) that I've never seen used anywhere in all my years of seeing console power arguments on forums and reading hardware power analysis articles on sites such as digital foundry...Thanks for showing us all how easy it was all the time. You are a true visionary with this math you just created out of thin air to calculate the power difference between consoles.

You stated that PS4's memory bandwith (176 GBps) is 14x faster than Wii u's  (12.8 GBps) but you conveniently failed to account for Wii U's 32 MB of embedded DRAM.

Also,they can all send multiple instructions per cycle.

that's nothing, you should have seen a guy in a brazilian forum. he said ps4's cpu has 8 cores at 1.6 ghz clock speed, so 8 x 1.6 = 12.8 ghz.

it was hilarious.

Around the Network
Zero999 said:
Angelv577 said:
Zero999 said:

that fallacy never gets old, just like this link: http://www.gamespot.com/features/xbox-vs-xbox-360-do-you-really-need-hd-6140621/

so xbox 360 is on par with ps2 since the ps2 ports (surprisingly) weren't much better on it. please stop it.

check the non ps360 ports. mario kart 8 and X are obviously ahead of anything from ps360 and that's not even close to using wii u's full power.

ohhh please, this same bullshit again, I admit Wii U is more powerful than ps3, but there's is no current and future games graphically ahead to the best graphics shown on 360/ps3,  stop being delisional thinking mario kart 8 and X looks better than the last of us, uncharted 3 and many more games.

what I think is irrelevant. I SEE those games are better looking than the best looking ps360 titles. it's absolute and unaffected by opinions.

opinions, nothing more.

Angelv577 said:
Zero999 said:

what I think is irrelevant. I SEE those games are better looking than the best looking ps360 titles. it's absolute and unaffected by opinions.

opinions, nothing more.

liking something = opinion

noticing something looks better than other = being capable to see.

the-pi-guy said:
Zero999 said:
Angelv577 said:

opinions, nothing more.

I notice green looks better than red....

It's an opinion.  

I notice more hardware demanding stuff on X and mario kart 8. that's a fact ;)

Zero999 said:
Angelv577 said:
Zero999 said:

opinions, nothing more.

the problem is you're in the minority and I'm sure there's plenty of people that would disagree with you, so in the end, it's still an opinion unless you show something more concrete that validate your statement as a fact.

Around the Network
Angelv577 said:
Zero999 said:
Angelv577 said:
Zero999 said:

opinions, nothing more.

the problem is you're in the minority and I'm sure there's plenty of people that would disagree with you, so in the end, it's still an opinion unless you show something more concrete that validate your statement as a fact.

I didn't know things like scale and level of detail were subhective. a reality change must have happened.

Zero999 said:
the-pi-guy said:
Zero999 said:
Angelv577 said:

opinions, nothing more.

I notice green looks better than red....

It's an opinion.  

I notice more hardware demanding stuff on X and mario kart 8. that's a fact ;)

And that's your opinion. One shared by a very small minority, sorry.

Not-so-proud owner of every current-gen system. 

Next-gen is upon us folks!

And some cool and inspiring quotes

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” 
― Oscar Wilde
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” 
― Bernard M. Baruch
Zero999 said:
Angelv577 said:
Zero999 said:
Angelv577 said:
Zero999 said:

opinions, nothing more.

I didn't know things like scale and level of detail were subhective. a reality change must have happened.

2 things that have already being shown to hell in current gen.

Angelv577 said:
Zero999 said:
Angelv577 said:

shown? yes. above X, MK8? hell no.

Zero999 said:
Angelv577 said:
Zero999 said:
Angelv577 said:

shown? yes. above X, MK8? hell no.

Post those gifs from X and compare

(Only one gif isn't from GTA Online so there's that as well)

I am not seeing that clear superiority that X has. Say what you will about budget but what you are saying is that, regardless of anything, anything with the scope of X is simply not possible on PS360. GTA says otherwise (and, by being a third party title, it doesn't take advantage of each plataform to the max).

I don't know why you keep bringing up MK8?

Artsy? Sure.

Beautifull? Absolutely.

Impressive? No, not really no...

If you want to compare it with a game with a somewhat similar style, compare it with Ratchet and Clank (it's still two completely different genres though):

So yeah... You could consider harping about something else because those examples are not very strong.

Now, if you were saying that it's impressive that those titles will come out relatively early (2 year-ish?) on WiiU's life (as opposed to these two^), it's a completely different story and discussion. But no, you are saying that they are leaps and bounds above anything seen on PS360.

Not-so-proud owner of every current-gen system. 

Next-gen is upon us folks!

And some cool and inspiring quotes

“Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.” 
― Oscar Wilde
“Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.” 
― Bernard M. Baruch