By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How many Wii U games run in 1080p so far?

errorpwns said:
JWeinCom said:
painmaster212 said:
Why is 1080 so much more important to you then 720, they both have a clean,clear HD quality picture and are gonna look great regardless on an LED.

Because 1080p is a successful marketing gimmick.  A lot of people will be viewing TVs that are too small or will be too far away to notice the resolution difference.  But ah well.  Lets start saving our pennies for 4k.

Marketing Gimmick? The difference is highly noticable. It's 50% more pixels being displayed on the screen. What does distance have to do with anything? It isn't stretching a 720p image out. There is actually more on the screen as long as the fov isn't stupidly restricted.

Not for those who don't sit really close to the screen or have huge TVs. 

Around the Network
errorpwns said:
JWeinCom said:
painmaster212 said:
Why is 1080 so much more important to you then 720, they both have a clean,clear HD quality picture and are gonna look great regardless on an LED.

Because 1080p is a successful marketing gimmick.  A lot of people will be viewing TVs that are too small or will be too far away to notice the resolution difference.  But ah well.  Lets start saving our pennies for 4k.

Marketing Gimmick? The difference is highly noticable. It's 50% more pixels being displayed on the screen. What does distance have to do with anything? It isn't stretching a 720p image out. There is actually more on the screen as long as the fov isn't stupidly restricted.

Thank you for proving my point.  It's 50% more pixels!  Much better!!!  Not exactly.  Take a look at the picture in the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Seurat-La_Parade_detail.jpg

Stare at it up close, and it's going to look incredibly pixelated.  Now, back up 10 feet or so, or as much as you're able.  Starts to look more like an actual face, right?  Same thing with TVs.  720p is going to have bigger pixels.  As you get up close, you're nartually going to see things in greater detail.  In the case of a person you might notice wrinkles or pores or dirt or blemishes or whatever.  In the case of a TV, you're going to notice pixelation.  A 1080p TV has more and smaller pixels, so you'll notice less pixelation on a 1080p than on a 720p.

But as you get further away, you're not going to see in as sharp detail.  It's the same effect as with the picture.  If you don't understand why distance would matter, just think about it.  If you had two 32" TVs and one was running at 1080p and one at 720p, do you think you could you tell the difference between the two at 100 feet? 50 feet? 25 feet?

So, for a lot of people 1080p is not going to matter at all.  A lot of people will either be sitting too far away to notice the difference, or will not have a big enough TV to notice.  If you have a 40" TV and you're sitting 8 feet away, you're not going to notice much of a difference if at all.  For the average gamer, it's better if companies focus their horsepower on other effects that will be more noticeable.

Monster Hunter
SC: Blacklist
Ducktales
Cloudberry Kingdom
CoD: Black Ops II

and others

Click HERE and be happy 

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is not 1080p. Neither is Black Ops 2. Not sure where that's coming from. If Black Ops 2 was 1080p, there would've been a huge fuss made about it. In fact I don't think BLOPS2 even runs at 720p, it's sub 720p just like the PS3/360 versions.

Monster Hunter 3G runs in 1080p. So does Zelda: Wind Waker I believe. And Puddle. Maybe less taxing stuff like Duck Tales and Cloudberry Kingdom as well, but I'm not 100% on that.

That's pretty much it.

ListerOfSmeg said:

LED TV? Didn't know they made those but the quality would be crap considering the size of LEDS

I'd go for a Plasma or Liquid Crystal display for 1080p

what the?

LED = liquid crystal display.  Its just using LEDs for backlight compared to the old fluorescent tubes.  So just the source of light is different  the screen itself is the same.

Then there is also  WLED and RGBLED  RGB will give you great colors   WLED is crap because it makes yellow way to greenish etc  all colors look like pastel colors when in direct comparison to a normal LCD or RGBLED screen.

Around the Network
curl-6 said:
errorpwns said:
JWeinCom said:
painmaster212 said:

Not for those who don't sit really close to the screen or have huge TVs. 

I dont think that chart applies to gaming.

Maybe when watching TV, but in gaming resolution also impacts things like hit detection and draw distance.

Just go for 1080p anyway.

Get Pikmin. i Think that would be best played on a big screen. also monster hunter, if you really just want something in 1080p

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Pikmin 3 is not 1080p. None of Nintendo's games are, Wind Waker will be the first (and probably only for a while).

Fededx said:
LED Tvs are actually better than LCDs, the screen is brighter, the image is clearer and colors are shinier... Anyways, those games you mentioned... Are you absolutely sure those run in 1080p?

I presume you mean LCD TV with LED backlight. Because in normal technical discussions a LED TV or Screen would mean that every pixel is made by a LED and I can tell you that's not recommendable. Or do you mean you bought an OLED TV?

If you meant OLED TV, yes you are correct with having better colors etc. (except for the brightness I doubt this will be better)

But to come back on topic: I think that there are not many games on WII U which are really 1080p. I think it's pretty much like with the PS3/XBOX360 that the games are in best case scenario are 720i/p and upscaled to 1080i/p.

kappie1977 said:
Fededx said:
LED Tvs are actually better than LCDs, the screen is brighter, the image is clearer and colors are shinier... Anyways, those games you mentioned... Are you absolutely sure those run in 1080p?

I presume you mean LCD TV with LED backlight. Because in normal technical discussions a LED TV or Screen would mean that every pixel is made by a LED and I can tell you that's not recommendable. Or do you mean you bought an OLED TV?

If you meant OLED TV, yes you are correct with having better colors etc. (except for the brightness I doubt this will be better)

But to come back on topic: I think that there are not many games on WII U which are really 1080p. I think it's pretty much like with the PS3/XBOX360 that the games are in best case scenario are 720i/p and upscaled to 1080i/p.

Look up Crystal LED. It's a true LED and it's actually meant to be really good. Gonna be years before it releases I'd say.

But yeah current "LED's" are good but they are still LCD's at the end of the day.