By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How many Wii U games run in 1080p so far?

ListerOfSmeg said:

LED TV? Didn't know they made those but the quality would be crap considering the size of LEDS

I'd go for a Plasma or Liquid Crystal display for 1080p

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:
errorpwns said:
JWeinCom said:
painmaster212 said:
Why is 1080 so much more important to you then 720, they both have a clean,clear HD quality picture and are gonna look great regardless on an LED.

Because 1080p is a successful marketing gimmick.  A lot of people will be viewing TVs that are too small or will be too far away to notice the resolution difference.  But ah well.  Lets start saving our pennies for 4k.

Marketing Gimmick? The difference is highly noticable. It's 50% more pixels being displayed on the screen. What does distance have to do with anything? It isn't stretching a 720p image out. There is actually more on the screen as long as the fov isn't stupidly restricted.

Thank you for proving my point.  It's 50% more pixels!  Much better!!!  Not exactly.  Take a look at the picture in the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Seurat-La_Parade_detail.jpg

Stare at it up close, and it's going to look incredibly pixelated.  Now, back up 10 feet or so, or as much as you're able.  Starts to look more like an actual face, right?  Same thing with TVs.  720p is going to have bigger pixels.  As you get up close, you're nartually going to see things in greater detail.  In the case of a person you might notice wrinkles or pores or dirt or blemishes or whatever.  In the case of a TV, you're going to notice pixelation.  A 1080p TV has more and smaller pixels, so you'll notice less pixelation on a 1080p than on a 720p.

But as you get further away, you're not going to see in as sharp detail.  It's the same effect as with the picture.  If you don't understand why distance would matter, just think about it.  If you had two 32" TVs and one was running at 1080p and one at 720p, do you think you could you tell the difference between the two at 100 feet? 50 feet? 25 feet?

So, for a lot of people 1080p is not going to matter at all.  A lot of people will either be sitting too far away to notice the difference, or will not have a big enough TV to notice.  If you have a 40" TV and you're sitting 8 feet away, you're not going to notice much of a difference if at all.  For the average gamer, it's better if companies focus their horsepower on other effects that will be more noticeable.

Having played many games at 1080p on my TV and at 720p I can verify that you and any charts you may post are incorrect for me. Textures=/=Polygons. You're still going to notice a wider view angle. +50% is actually a lot. 1080p uis are also better. I went from a 720p screen to a 1080p one and haven't looked back. 

uhh a lot umm some.. I cant tell the difference so im not sure but some do