By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Poll : which is the next system to die and why?

Let me explain my prediction.

PS2> PSP=360> DS > PS3 or WII

PS2 because it is dyieng now.

I guess around 2009 we can call it officially dead.

PSP = 360. The PSP will have awesome next years with big games like GOW, FF:CC, KH etc.. Same for X360 so I guess around 2010-2011 PSP 2 will be released and the next Xbox will see a release .

PS3 and Wii will be not die before 2011 because PS3 will have a lot of games that are announced now that will release then and the Wii is a mystery for me...It depends what Nintendo do..Will they release new Zelda's, Mario's IP's?

What will third party do with the Wii? Will nintendo release a lot of games like Wii fit, Wii sports?

Around the Network

PS2 of course! It's already on life support. After that, you'll probably see the PSP games dry up since there will be no PS2 to port the PSP games to. After that, it really depends on who's 'next gen' system comes out next...

Numbers are like people. Torture them enough and you can get them to say anything you want.

VGChartz Resident Thread Killer

Out of the 3 next gen systems, I think Wii will die first, but not for a long time, because of the dated technology in it (excluding the remote) and lack of hardrive.

The firmware update is the main reason i feel this generation will be the longest we have ever seen. This is because the graphics no longer have a high need to improve, and new inovative features can get added to the system over time.

For example, If the gamecube had firmware updates, and added the wii remote and sensor bar using an update, it would not be much different from what the wii is now and so could have lasted 15 years. Things like wii fit have proved this, as it was not originally part of the system, but has been added on and sparked new interest in the system. Something like this can get added to all three systems at any time in their lifetime, which could hype the system up again.

PS2, bacause is the oldest console in market.

Well, being I can still buy a GC new today, I am going to go with that one.

Of the ones you listed, probably the 360, unless it sells 50 million. With 120+ million PS2, and a much less expensive development cost, they will be making games for it for a very very long time.

Most of them will probably suck though.

Around the Network

Wii and DS will likely last the longest, due to support and sales, PS2 will likely be the first, and PSP PS3 and 360 will be somewhere in between

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

PS2- first, the console is on it's last legs as far as good software support.
PSP- second, software support will dry up due to lack of software sales.
DS- It's been out since 2004, my bet is a backwards compatible successor is on the way.
Wii- My prediction is in about 5 yearsa fully BC successor will take the place of the Wii with improved motion controls and HD-visuals.
360- Microsoft will lauch their next console around the same time as Wii 2
PS3- Sony is dead set on the 10 year plan, I don't see them straying no matter the outcome of the console race.

PS2, then PSP.

I find it funny people are still talking about Sony's 10 year plan, yeah Sony can leave the PS3 on the market for 50 years if they want, doesn't mean people will be buying it after five years

Predictions:Sales of Wii Fit will surpass the combined sales of the Grand Theft Auto franchiseLifetime sales of Wii will surpass the combined sales of the entire Playstation family of consoles by 12/31/2015 Wii hardware sales will surpass the total hardware sales of the PS2 by 12/31/2010 Wii will have 50% marketshare or more by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  It was a little over 48% only)Wii will surpass 45 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2008 (I was wrong!!  Nintendo Financials showed it fell slightly short of 45 million shipped by end of 2008)Wii will surpass 80 Million in lifetime sales by the end of 2009 (I was wrong!! Wii didn't even get to 70 Million)

The PS2 obivously and then the PSP will most likely follow behind.