By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - If the big 3 could only make new IPs from now on who would have the best exclusives? who would sell more?

Who would win the gen?

Sony 262 51.78%

Microsoft 26 5.14%

Nintendo 180 35.57%

See results 33 6.52%

Total:501
ListerOfSmeg said:
Valve would be my choice but console only I'd go with Nintendo.

Valve is so freaking overrated

Around the Network

If I'm going to be diplomatic, I'm going to say Sony.

Sony is often willing to stick with a poor performing new IP to allow it to develop, rather than just abandoning it.

Microsoft doesn't stick with well liked, critically strong, poor selling new IPs. They seems to always want it's new IPs to be a success out of the gate, like Halo.

The same thing happens in TV. If NBC had never allowed Seinfeld or Friends to develop, neither would have lasted beyond the first year. Yet NBC execs stuck with the two shows and allowed them to keep developing.

The thing you want to avoid is Heroes. A show that comes out strong, but waffles the ball, then fumbles, and ultimately leaves the game due to a concussion. Some franchises, for instance, Sony just doesn't know to give up on. Because while they have a dedicated following, they're not really making Sony money to do the investment justice.

I can't think of a new, unique IP from Nintendo that suggests that they'd be capable of creating one. Not that it wouldn't be good, but if someone can point me to a new IP that Nintendo has done that would help.

Does anyone else remember hearing Iwata say they have plenty of projects in the works (primarily for the WiiU) but wouldn't reveal them until it was the right time to cut back on possible competitors taking ideas?

My fanboy-ism says Nintendo but Sony is a good contender too.

Nintendo Network ID: ali5541

Nintendo Fanboy and Lover of the Tales Series

My initial response is Nintendo.

But upon reflection, I also think Microsoft probably would be able to sell the most new IPs due to their deep pockets and the built in fanbase they built with the 360, While the internet was enflamed by the initial Xbox One policies, common man on the street will probably still want the Live experience with games and will stick with them so long as games like Halo, Gears of War, etc. still show up.

KingdomHeartsFan said:

Hands down Sony, is there even any doubt?  You just have to look at this gen.

Wii Sports/Sports Resort says hi (for sales).  Nintendo published 3DS eshop games have also sold well (mainly Pushmo but they also probably have decent sales for Sakura Samurai, Ketzal corridors, Crashmo, Freakyforms, and a few others which don't have amazing sells but they will continue to sell on the eshop throughout the lifetime of the 3DS).  Sony made some good new IPs this gen but most didn't have that much of a selling power.  Sony is still front loaded with only a few of their titles that have serious legs.  Nintendo titles almost always have legs and continue to sell (such as some Nintendo published games on the Wii are selling even now).  Nintendo has longer legs than Sony.

Around the Network
spemanig said:

Innnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnncorrrect!

Sony consoles survive because of two things. New media services and Gran Turismo. That's it. Not the games. Not the "variety." Built in CD player when CD players were new and too expensive (PS), built in DVD player when DVD players were new and too expensive (PS2), built in Blu-ray player when Blu-ray players were new and too expensive (PS3), and portable DVD multimedia device when they didn't even exist yet (PSP). The proof is in the PS3, the PSP Go, and the Vita. People cared WAY less about the PS3 because it wasn't a cheaper alternative. Once it was, people bought it. And didn't buy games. PSP Go failed because by that time, the iphone was out did every media thing the PSP did, but better, smaller, with cheaper games, and it had a phone built into it. No one bought it. The ones who did didn't buy games. The Vita is failing because right now, the iphone is out and does every media thing the Vita does, but better, smaller, with cheaper games, and it has a phone built into it. No one is buying it. The ones who do are STRUGGLING to buy enough games for even one title to hit 1m sales after almost 2 years.

And I GUARANTEE in one year of the PS4 coming out, it will be in a far more dire position than people think now, because everyone already has a place to watch netflix, hulu, blu-ray, DVD, etc. It's 2013. Sony can only depend on games this time, and it's last 3 attempts, especially it's first true attempt the Vita, were complete financial disasters.

Sony can not servive on their new IP's alone. They barely do now. It's thanks to Gran Turismo that they do. A racing sim. A racing sim that, if ended, would have it's sales and fans shift to any of the other dozen quality and fantastic racing sims before Sony could even think to create another one.

So again, you are wrong. Understand now?

You're so much fun, man, honestly.  I hope you stick around.

So the PS3 is selling so well right now because of Blu-Ray, GT5, and that's all?  Seriously?  It's the top selling home console at the moment based on that alone?  Wow.  That's bloody amazing, even though there are much cheaper and better Blu-Ray players out there and better selling franchises this gen that have multiple installments.  Obviously GT isn't outselling Halo, yet the PS3 has sold more units in a shorter period of time--that's all due to Blu-Ray?

That's awesome  =]  

Tell me more about how Sony has nothing else besides those two things, please.  If you're right, no one will want the PS4 and it will crash and burn.  Should be an interesting launch.

NoirSon said:
My initial response is Nintendo.

But upon reflection, I also think Microsoft probably would be able to sell the most new IPs due to their deep pockets and the built in fanbase they built with the 360, While the internet was enflamed by the initial Xbox One policies, common man on the street will probably still want the Live experience with games and will stick with them so long as games like Halo, Gears of War, etc. still show up.

thats the thing, they wont. its all something new from now on

Zero999 said:
pokoko said:

... you do know that you're proving the opposite point true, don't you?  That Sony can sell millions of consoles without depending on scoring a massive hit or starting a casual craze?  Somehow I think you missed something.  Regardless, thanks for helping the argument for Sony.

the bolded words say everything about your bias. either way, sony can't sell any console without other companies while nintendo can make it's console a success almost by itself.

What, in the name of cats, are you talking about?  Prove me wrong--what massive hit or casual craze has Playstation had recently?  They've had hits, certainly, but not massive hits, and their attentions at capturing the casual market have not taken off.  What am I missing, and why does that make me biased?

bananaking21 said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
For platformers nintendo. For everything else sony.

what platformer that nintendo create after during the N64 or after that outsold LBP?

Nintendo hasn't done any new platforming IP from what I'm aware, but is there really a need to do it? They already have DK, Mario, Yoshi and Kirby. Either way, Nintendo would still dominate that part of the genre, because that is what they release a shitload of. What else does Sony have in that genre?

Check out my Upcoming Wii U Games 2014 Thread

3DS Friend Code: 4553 - 9954 - 4854. Name - David

pokoko said:
Zero999 said:
pokoko said:

... you do know that you're proving the opposite point true, don't you?  That Sony can sell millions of consoles without depending on scoring a massive hit or starting a casual craze?  Somehow I think you missed something.  Regardless, thanks for helping the argument for Sony.

the bolded words say everything about your bias. either way, sony can't sell any console without other companies while nintendo can make it's console a success almost by itself.

What, in the name of cats, are you talking about?  Prove me wrong--what massive hit or casual craze has Playstation had recently?  They've had hits, certainly, but not massive hits, and their attentions at capturing the casual market have not taken off.  What am I missing, and why does that make me biased?

I think u misunderstood him. He saying ur biased for implying a casual craze doesnt count

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.