By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Hilarious video : Yoshida falls asleep listening to David Cage

Can't blame him. lol

Around the Network
CGI-Quality said:
richardhutnik said:
CGI-Quality said:

We've had this discussion before, and unfortunately, you still misunderstand a lot. He's never said his games "are the future", nor does he expect anyone to follow suit. But, judging from the reactions his games/demos/tech gets from people in the industry, he must be doing something right. That's what matters.

Do I need to end up flagging things at the end, BESIDES USING AN EMOTICON, to end up showing I am engaging in sarcasm, pointed at the AAA side of things, and agreeing with Mummelmann as a result?  Because I included other works besides what Cage does, not sure why you thought i was talking about Cage.  When did Cage, for example, use Eminem to do his soundtrack.

It still reflects things you've said on numerous occassions. So, maybe you've had a change of heart, maybe you don't think his games are only a "Press X to Jason"b - (direct quote), but your "EMOTICONS" don't hide what I've seen you say before.

If you reread my post, you will end up seeing me trying to jam as much of the mentality going into AAA titles today as possible.  I didn't just take a shot at QTE events, but also wannabe screen writers, hiring Eminem, and pushing a digital dog as some sort of major accomplishment.  Now people have to scroll back to read what I wrote.  And no, I have not had a change of heart.  I do have a larger lists of beefs of things I see are causing the industry to go under, which includes wanting to be Hollywood.  You would benefit greatly by seeing what I said NOW, not what I said then.  And I certainly don't owe YOU an apology for my thoughts regarding Heavy Rain, as if you are the one who created the game.  Press X to Jason merely shows, since you brought it up now, that the videogame indusrty isn't even close to being in the same class of storytelling as Hollywood, or book publishers, nor do I really expected it ever to get there.  Top storytellers have more control in books, and can be compensated better by doing movies.  I am sure Ken Levine, for example, is going to get paid well for penning a screenplay, odds are more than he is making on Bioshock Infinite.  You want to know what I think?  Videogame makers need to stop trying to tell stories.  They can build worlds, and certain build real games.  But storytelling?  Sorry, not everyone has the budget of Infinity Ward, and they certainly can't afford to hire the writer of Traffic.  For them to try otherwise, is folly.

There, that is my thoughts on it, since you insist on harping on what I wrote, and took offense to it.  Heavy Rain really isn't something significant enough for me to keep dwelling on.  Hey, maybe it is for you, but it isn't for me.

pezus said:
richardhutnik said:
Mummelmann said:
Maybe he, like so many others (including me) is getting tired of Cage insisting that QTE's are an actual gameplay mechanic and make for a terrific and deep experience and his overall hipster projects?

Come on man, don't you know that is THE FUTURE OF GAMING!  QTE events, Eminem doing the sound track, a digital dog you care about (digs up treasure and disarms enemies), and hiring a bunch of known actors to read your lines, and think you are actually a competent storyteller.  And then all the other studios follow you, because you think you are making interactive movies.  THAT is the future!  Who needs original gameplay or replayability that you didn't script?

Why do people want gaming to go in one direction? I want it to go in several, his included.

It is called sarcasm.  Trying to build a multiplath linear storytelling vehicle, only can be done so much.  An issue with the industry now, as I have written on before, is the AAA trends isn't sustainable.  It will produce far more losers than winners and contraction in the industry.  Game designers need to focus on their strengths and stop going beyond that in most cases, WHEN there is a budget involved and the going beyond costs money.  End result is you get people screaming how the ending to Mass Effect 3 sucked, for example.

This thread is so derailed lmfao

Can't we just all get along and comment on the cute little asian man and how adorable he is?!

Around the Network
pezus said:
RenCutypoison said:
DucksUnlimited said:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Heavy-Rain-Was-Extremely-Profitable-for-Sony-and-Quantic-Dream-347199.shtml

One of his games was profitable. That's nice for him.

Plus Quantic Dream has 100 employees, if you count that an employee cost 80.000 $ per year (the employee gets 20-25k, 15-20k for social security and 40k from the boss to the state, I don't know how that works in america but in france it's like that) and took 5 years to make.

80k * 100 employees * 5 years = 40m$

If you count the harware (Hi-tech must be replaced every 3-5 years, let's say 500$ per employees) plus software licence (=A LOT), devkits, marketing, etc

I don't know how he paid a 100 employees for 5 years with 20m$, but these numbers seem rather strange to me.

There were not 100 employees working on it for 5 years. That is just ridiculous. Something like David Cage started to write the script 5 years before release, and after some time he assembled a few people and then more and more as time went on.

Ok, they are a hundred, and did nothing between 2005 and 2010. Maybe some already worked on the next title, but frankly I doubt it was the majority of the workers there.

What does a game studio do when they don't release a game in 5 years ? And does it bring in money ?

pezus said:

Do you have a link that says they were 100 back in 2005? I could almost believe it today, in 2013, but not in 2005.

Well, english wiki says 180 employees and the french wiki a 100. Unless they heavily fired people, or it's total bullshit (possible), and as you can't integrate 80 employees in a small time, they most likely already had 70-120 employees in the 2005-2010 period.

and there : "The studio has changed a lot after the success of Heavy Rain. We are now at around 180 people. We were at 110 maximum [for Heavy Rain]."

source : http://www.gamerevolution.com/news/david-cage-is-feeling-ambitious-for-next-quantic-dream-game-11621

CGI-Quality said:
richardhutnik said:
CGI-Quality said:

It still reflects things you've said on numerous occassions. So, maybe you've had a change of heart, maybe you don't think his games are only a "Press X to Jason"b - (direct quote), but your "EMOTICONS" don't hide what I've seen you say before.

If you reread my post, you will end up seeing me trying to jam as much of the mentality going into AAA titles today as possible.  I didn't just take a shot at QTE events, but also wannabe screen writers, hiring Eminem, and pushing a digital dog as some sort of major accomplishment.  Now people have to scroll back to read what I wrote.  And no, I have not had a change of heart.  I do have a larger lists of beefs of things I see are causing the industry to go under, which includes wanting to be Hollywood.  You would benefit greatly by seeing what I said NOW, not what I said then.  And I certainly don't owe YOU an apology for my thoughts regarding Heavy Rain, as if you are the one who created the game.  Press X to Jason merely shows, since you brought it up now, that the videogame indusrty isn't even close to being in the same class of storytelling as Hollywood, or book publishers, nor do I really expected it ever to get there.  Top storytellers have more control in books, and can be compensated better by doing movies.  I am sure Ken Levine, for example, is going to get paid well for penning a screenplay, odds are more than he is making on Bioshock Infinite.  You want to know what I think?  Videogame makers need to stop trying to tell stories.  They can build worlds, and certain build real games.  But storytelling?  Sorry, not everyone has the budget of Infinity Ward, and they certainly can't afford to hire the writer of Traffic.  For them to try otherwise, is folly.

There, that is my thoughts on it, since you insist on harping on what I wrote, and took offense to it.  Heavy Rain really isn't something significant enough for me to keep dwelling on.  Hey, maybe it is for you, but it isn't for me.

For a guy merely "being sarcastic", you sure got awfully defensive here. Not looking to taunt you on it, because I generally respect our other debates. Even in this case, your opinion is absolutely fine, always has been. You just comment about it enough (and with similar content each time) for me to believe it is significant enough for you. If I'm wrong, though, I can accept that.

Now as for "Videogame makers need to stop trying to tell stories", this is where I will always strongly disagree. I'm looking at the likes of The Last Of Us, Heavy Rain, Uncharted, Mass Effect, Bioshock, and Metal Gear Solid for recent references that the industry is far from going under based on heavily storydriven titles. 

Many in the industry seem to think these titles are worthwhile and will only continue to make them. Why............. well, there is a market for the FPS, a market for the RPG, a market for Mario, Halo, and GT, etc, etc. No issue in having storydriven games join in, they work.

I was being sarcastic prior, and then you got upset, thought I was taking a shot at Heavy Rain again. I decided now to end up explaining my view on this.

Any my point here is this, if you mind me clarifying a bit: Videogame makers need to stop thinking they are competent storytellers and focus on gameplay and things that improve gameplay.  There will be room for some people doing storytelling, but usually the videogame industry is NOT going to get the top storytellers.  You get B and C list, or even D-list storytellers.   And you get guys who aren't even storytellers at all, who think they want to be.  Today, you have people thinking they want to be in Hollywood and think their game is about telling stories, and that is the frame of mind, that is in the industry and causing it financial issues.

I can give you one example I know personally.  I end up meeting up with a guy who started a small Indie studio where I am, and was trying to get a team together and work on stuff. I ended up asking him about his game, and he goes into a story about how the dinosaurs managed to survive, and there is a story about where you go back in time to try to direct the meteor that killed the dinosaurs to get past their defenses.  I still have no idea what the heck the gameplay is about in his game.  And I ran across yet another person working in the medical field, who is a wannabe videogame designer, and he keeps talking about story.  And there is also the case of myself hearing stories of someone in a major studio talking about how bad the scripts are.

In regards to Mario and GT, what is the story there?  Mario is repeatedly yelled at by videogame player minions that it doesn't have a good story at all.  And Gran Turismo is a driving game.  I would even argue an RPG doesn't really need a story.  It does critically need a world, and you have credible characters and whatnot, but not necessarily a penned story.

Problems get worse the larger the budget also, as they will then hire actors to do the voices.  The risks to profitability go up at that point.

And it is debateable whether or not games are a good medium for TELLING a story:

https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2011/02/24/wright-says-video-games-are-not-mediums-to-tell-stories/

http://thenerdstreamera.blogspot.com/2012/09/why-video-games-often-suck-at.html

http://n4g.com/news/891364/ken-levine-criticises-video-game-storytelling

http://thinkprogress.org/alyssa/2012/05/11/482411/jon-spaihts/

http://nofilmschool.com/2013/02/video-game-movie-storytelling-jjabrams-valve-gabe-newell/

So, take a medium that isn't good for telling stories (interactivity of games works against telling a narrative), and add individuals who aren't that good at telling stories, and throw money into the effort to tell a story, which is leading to it having costs issues, and you get to my point about the focus NOT being on storytelling.  Call of Duty gets away with being able to try to tell a story, because of the amount of money it has.  But, people don't play call of Duty for the story, but the multiplayer, with a decent chunk of players not even bothering with the single player side.

In short, to think you are a storyteller, and try to have that work, is a losing proposition for most people in the industry.  And to think you are a wannabe filmmaker using videogames as a format (hello Kojima), isn't going to work for most people at all.

This being said, game designers can build captivating worlds that are engaging, but to try to end up telling a story, isn't working towards strengths of the game medium.  Not to say it can't be done, but is an exception with very few people off to do it.  And I say this as Ken Levine is off to work on a movie.

richardhutnik said:

And it is debateable whether or not games are a good medium for TELLING a story:

https://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2011/02/24/wright-says-video-games-are-not-mediums-to-tell-stories/

Whoever wrote that is lying. I've always said that videogames are a good medium for telling powerful tales!

Wright said:
richardhutnik said:

Whoever wrote that is lying. I've always said that videogames are a good medium for telling powerful tales!

That is Malstrom, discussing this:

http://www.njoystic.com/2011/02/18/will-wright-says-games-arent-meant-for-storytelling/

And here is Will Wright talking:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/gaming.gadgets/02/18/will.wright/

"Games are not the right medium to tell stories," Wright said in a recent interview. "Video games are more about story possibilities."

And it is Will Wright, the creator of the sims series of games (the Sims, Simcity, etc...) who ended up saying games aren't meant for telling stories.  Will Wright, who is a successful game designer knows far more credible than either of us actually, at saying this.

Look at the word that is the problem in here, that I am talking about.  The word is "telling".  Telling is a controliing the flowo of focus in order to reach a conclusion.  Controlling focus works against playing, which is a key part of games.  

In what I am saying, I am not saying that a game can't provide a powerful experience, but it is not suited for TELLING.  The more you try to tell, the more you end up taking away player control.