By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Why do you hate indie games?

Tagged games:

Why do you hate indie games?

Too few graphics. 19 18.10%

Because Sony has them. 22 20.95%

I have no soul. 5 4.76%

I am Bobby Kotick. 11 10.48%

I don't hate your mom. 48 45.71%

Total:105

While we are talking about Indie games

Mark of the Ninja DLC is out and it is fantastic go and purchase it

Around the Network
Sal.Paradise said:
morenoingrato said:

They focus on aesthetics, style and superficial things and give shallow, uninteresting gameplay. It's like they are trying to be artistic and fail horribly.

Braid, Super Meat Boy, Trine 2, Limbo, *THE WALKING DEAD*, Cave Story, World of Goo, Hotline Miami. I hated them all. And those are supposed to be the very best.

*Disclaimer: To The Moon is really awesome.

Do tell me how Super Meat Boy has shallow, uninteresting gameplay and is trying to be artistic. (Aren't you a big fan of certain other 2d platformers?)

I will not bother as we will never come to an agreement, but:

Poor, sloppy controls. Being very difficult and (gory?) for the sake of it.

@Kitler: Braid also has terrible physics and controls.

YOU come home to find your mother raped, your Lego castle destroyed, your dog missing, and your episode of The Walking Dead deleted from your DVR and then discover that indie darling, Super Meat Boy was the culprit.  Then, you can judge me.  THEN YOU CAN JUDGE ME!

Fuck indie games.

morenoingrato said:
Sal.Paradise said:
morenoingrato said:

They focus on aesthetics, style and superficial things and give shallow, uninteresting gameplay. It's like they are trying to be artistic and fail horribly.

Braid, Super Meat Boy, Trine 2, Limbo, *THE WALKING DEAD*, Cave Story, World of Goo, Hotline Miami. I hated them all. And those are supposed to be the very best.

*Disclaimer: To The Moon is really awesome.

Do tell me how Super Meat Boy has shallow, uninteresting gameplay and is trying to be artistic. (Aren't you a big fan of certain other 2d platformers?)

I will not bother as we will never come to an agreement, but:

Poor, sloppy controls. Being very difficult and (gory?) for the sake of it.

@Kitler: Braid also has terrible physics and controls.

Huh. To me it's maybe the most finely controlling 2d platformer ever made. The maneuvers you have to do and the ease with which you can pull them off after a few repeat runs is a testament to that.

But in any case, that doesn't make the gameplay 'shallow and uninteresting' does it, it's just standard platforming gameplay (with a couple of non-standard mechanics like sticking to walls) you think doesn't control well. 

Plus I'm still not seeing how it's 'trying to be artistic?' You're just complaining about the visual choice for him to be made of meat and bleed. I dislike the way limbs move in the recent Rayman platformers - that doesn't mean the game is 'trying to be artistic' or anything....it's just a visual cue I don't like. I think you don't want to argue because I have you fully clocked :)

Sal.Paradise said:

Huh. To me it's maybe the most finely controlling 2d platformer ever made. The maneuvers you have to do and the ease with which you can pull them off after a few repeat runs is a testament to that.

But in any case, that doesn't make the gameplay 'shallow and uninteresting' does it, it's just standard platforming gameplay (with a couple of non-standard mechanics like sticking to walls) you think doesn't control well. 

Plus I'm still not seeing how it's 'trying to be artistic?' You're just complaining about the visual choice for him to be made of meat and bleed. I dislike the way limbs move in the recent Rayman platformers - that doesn't mean the game is 'trying to be artistic' or anything....it's just a visual cue I don't like. I think you don't want to argue because I have you fully clocked :)

Fully clocked?

I'm not a fan of the physics of the game.

Also, this sums up what I think of indies in a comic way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc26EKhZNyM 

Around the Network

Obvs it's because of Sony.
Anyway, great linked game. I've beaten Fate of Atlantis about a dozen times.
"Alright Jones, how are you going to find that statue in all this junk"

morenoingrato said:
Sal.Paradise said:

Fully clocked?

I'm not a fan of the physics of the game.

Also, this sums up what I think of indies in a comic way: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc26EKhZNyM 

So you won't address anything I've said. And you post a video that makes fun of a particular type of person that plays indie games, but has nothing to do with the quality of the games themselves. 

Fully clocked.

Sal.Paradise said:

So you won't address anything I've said. And you post a video that makes fun of a particular type of person that plays indie games, but has nothing to do with the quality of the games themselves. 

Fully clocked.

Nah. You will not change my mind (or millions) that indies are not good. They try to be artistic instead of focusing on actual core mechanics.

I would love a Super Meat Boy port for the WiiU or 3DS....the soundtrack is incredible...the hospital theme is my favourite !

morenoingrato said:
Sal.Paradise said:

Fully clocked.

Nah. You will not change my mind (or millions) that indies are not good. They try to be artistic instead of focusing on actual core mechanics.

And this remains a hilarious statement, no matter how often you repeat it. You couldn't even explain it when it came to Super Meat Boy, now you're extending it to indies entirely!