By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Phil Harrison: Xbox One Will Never Come Without Kinect

eFKac said:
Thank you for the information agent Harrison

returned my broken xbox one and useless Kinect today

Around the Network
oniyide said:
wilco said:
Problem with Microsoft is they never really committed to the future they were preaching about. If they really believed in all digital they would have gone disk-less and if they really believed in kinect it would have been built into the actual game system. Nobody will be convinced if you half ass it.

with the backlash they got from the xone reveal, its a a good thing they didnt commit

The backlash was mostly a response to the anti consumer crap they were trying to pull and not the vision of an all digital future. Microsoft could have gone all digital but they weren't ready to fully commit, thats where all the anti-consumer treating customers like criminals crap came from. None of that 24 hour check in used game killing stuff would have been necessary if Microsoft just fully committed to all digital. They wanted to keep one foot in the old ways and that led to the messy, convoluted and confusinng nonsense that was the xbox one unveiling.

Building kinect into the game system could have also work if they committed to motion controls whole heartedly. They should have launched with just as many kinect games as traditional controller games, they should've also spent more money making it work properly. If Microsoft truly believed that kinect was compelling then they should have showed that by supporting it as though it truly was a vital part of the system. They didn't, they treated it like a tacked on peripheral and that is the way it was perceived.

wilco said:
oniyide said:
wilco said:
Problem with Microsoft is they never really committed to the future they were preaching about. If they really believed in all digital they would have gone disk-less and if they really believed in kinect it would have been built into the actual game system. Nobody will be convinced if you half ass it.

with the backlash they got from the xone reveal, its a a good thing they didnt commit

The backlash was mostly a response to the anti consumer crap they were trying to pull and not the vision of an all digital future. Microsoft could have gone all digital but they weren't ready to fully commit, thats where all the anti-consumer treating customers like criminals crap came from. None of that 24 hour check in used game killing stuff would have been necessary if Microsoft just fully committed to all digital. They wanted to keep one foot in the old ways and that led to the messy, convoluted and confusinng nonsense that was the xbox one unveiling.

Building kinect into the game system could have also work if they committed to motion controls whole heartedly. They should have launched with just as many kinect games as traditional controller games, they should've also spent more money making it work properly. If Microsoft truly believed that kinect was compelling then they should have showed that by supporting it as though it truly was a vital part of the system. They didn't, they treated it like a tacked on peripheral and that is the way it was perceived.

all fair points, but let me ask you. do you really think the one would be doing better if they really went all digital? IMHO it would be doing the same or worse if they went that route. I think there were rumors going on that it would be all digital, people didnt care for that so then they decided to pull the half ass crap. IMO at that point you might as well get a PC

As for Kinect yup you're right which makes me wonder why they even bundled it in the first place.

oniyide said:

all fair points, but let me ask you. do you really think the one would be doing better if they really went all digital? IMHO it would be doing the same or worse if they went that route. I think there were rumors going on that it would be all digital, people didnt care for that so then they decided to pull the half ass crap. IMO at that point you might as well get a PC

As for Kinect yup you're right which makes me wonder why they even bundled it in the first place.

All digital for the same price on SW? No way in hell, by 40% less on ALL SW on release and cuts accompanying the retailers, probably would be more sucessfull.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:

All digital for the same price on SW? No way in hell, by 40% less on ALL SW on release and cuts accompanying the retailers, probably would be more sucessfull.

but see that wasnt going to happen, they would have charged the same. Not saying your idea wouldnt work however.

Around the Network

^ Quote trees.

Dont let them get out of hand. Its irritating and an eyesore.

oniyide said:

The only thing that really stand in the way of an all digital console doing really well is internet speeds, but if they could make it possible to play while downloading or pre-download content then that wouldn't be a huge problem either. I think they could have sold it for $399. Sure they would still take a bit of a loss even without the bluray but they would make it up on software revenue that they weren't splitting with retail. They could have truly revolutionized the industry by having the balls to be the first to take a bold step towards the inevitable future. I honestly believe they'd be doing just as well if not better in terms of market share and they'd probably be making more profit from sofware as well. People respond to bold moves and they take the leap with you if you show confidence.

oniyide said:
DonFerrari said:

but see that wasnt going to happen, they would have charged the same. Not saying your idea wouldnt work however.

Yes we know that, just see the PSN and Live, they usually charge the same for retail or digital which is ludicrous and make me buy just under 10 bucks PSN games. Preffer to buy used and cheap games physical than pay a lot more for pieces of data that I often have to erase because my PS3 don't have enough space in the HDD. There I have plenty of PS+ games, some classics, indies and installs/saves I would never buy a retail game for like more than 30% of the price digitally. And I love to have my shelfes full of discs.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

wilco said:
oniyide said:

The only thing that really stand in the way of an all digital console doing really well is internet speeds, but if they could make it possible to play while downloading or pre-download content then that wouldn't be a huge problem either. I think they could have sold it for $399. Sure they would still take a bit of a loss even without the bluray but they would make it up on software revenue that they weren't splitting with retail. They could have truly revolutionized the industry by having the balls to be the first to take a bold step towards the inevitable future. I honestly believe they'd be doing just as well if not better in terms of market share and they'd probably be making more profit from sofware as well. People respond to bold moves and they take the leap with you if you show confidence.

look at DonFerrari's response. its way more than internet speeds. Not alot of people are going to plunk down teh same money for a digital copy of a game than the retail and MS was never going ot have the price of them cheaper, or any console really. Hell the video game industry is the only one ive seen where physical and digital are the same prices as long as that stands it will never go full digital. 

Matter of fact what is the benefit of a all digital machine? Hell if anyone really wanted to they can go all digital NOW they never have to pick up another physical copy if they choose too. And that just doesnt go for PCs

oniyide said:
wilco said:
oniyide said:

look at DonFerrari's response. its way more than internet speeds. Not alot of people are going to plunk down teh same money for a digital copy of a game than the retail and MS was never going ot have the price of them cheaper, or any console really. Hell the video game industry is the only one ive seen where physical and digital are the same prices as long as that stands it will never go full digital. 

Matter of fact what is the benefit of a all digital machine? Hell if anyone really wanted to they can go all digital NOW they never have to pick up another physical copy if they choose too. And that just doesnt go for PCs

Well even on X1 or PS4 the person could be basically fully digital and barely won't miss a game.

In a PSNow way some people would go digital. But even tough they put it cheaper we will always worry what about they take it out of air, like the servers of a lot of MP games.