By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer responds to Sony's 'dig' at Gamescom

Very professional and mature. The dig was out of place.

Around the Network

better to admit your mistakes and correct your wrongs than to be arrogant and think you can push you way through things.

+1 for MS

Well, maybe they saw all the negativity about MS I was seeing about the bone on GAF because there was a huge negative vibe from a lot of 360 owners there that are certainly not fanboys. It has not even gone away since the changes. Thanks for supposedly listening MS.

On his reply, it seems like a pretty boring normal public relations type of reply.

iceboy151 said:
  JayWood2010 said:

At E3 it was a a little more relevant (Still unprofessional) and the crowd went wild.  At Gamescom it was strictly out of bad taste and I was glad the crowd didnt respond the same way.  It's like they tried to derail the show again and try to get a bunch of attention the same way they did at E3.

When they announced no DRM at E3, that's not unprofessional, it's smart. If your competition were implementing DRM, and you knew conusmers hate it. Wouldn't you let the world know that you wouldn't put it in your console? They're running a business, they're trying to get as many people on their side as possible.

As I said it was a little more relevant at E3.  At Gamescom it was more like "Hey we joked around and made fun of your policies at E3.  Now we are going to make fun of you for changing them because we can."

This is very unprofessional and reminds me of people who troll on a website.  If businesses used this tactic a lot then you would have comments like "Hey we never let 80 million accounts get hacked on Xbox Live"  or "Third Parties will support us unlike some other competitor."

It is simply trolling and unprofessional.  Cool if you enjoyed it but it is a dirty tactic and unprofessional.  Every company makes mistakes and Microsoft made one.  To make fun of them for trying to fix their mistake is a little pointless in my opinion.

JayWood2010 said:
iceboy151 said:
  JayWood2010 said:

At E3 it was a a little more relevant (Still unprofessional) and the crowd went wild.  At Gamescom it was strictly out of bad taste and I was glad the crowd didnt respond the same way.  It's like they tried to derail the show again and try to get a bunch of attention the same way they did at E3.

When they announced no DRM at E3, that's not unprofessional, it's smart. If your competition were implementing DRM, and you knew conusmers hate it. Wouldn't you let the world know that you wouldn't put it in your console? They're running a business, they're trying to get as many people on their side as possible.

As I said it was a little more relevant at E3.  At Gamescom it was more like "Hey we joked around and made fun of your policies at E3.  Now we are going to make fun of you for changing them because we can."

This is very unprofessional and reminds me of people who troll on a website.  If businesses used this tactic a lot then you would have comments like "Hey we never let 80 million accounts get hacked on Xbox Live"  or "Third Parties will support us unlike some other competitor."

It is simply trolling and unprofessional.  Cool if you enjoyed it but it is a dirty tactic and unprofessional.  Every company makes mistakes and Microsoft made one.  To make fun of them for trying to fix their mistake is a little pointless in my opinion.

If Microsoft was in the same position as Sony, do you feel that they wouldn't do these type of things?

Around the Network
Kresnik said:

I agree with him in the sense that it's better that MS have listened to what consumers want and I totally respect that. It's very much the right thing to do.

The problem I have with it is - how did they come up with this console which consumers had to make so much noise about changing in the first place? It makes all this talk about "two-way conversations" seem like it's something they've just implemented. We're listening to you now (but, we weren't going to listen to you when we started).

Still, as long as they get to the right place in the end then that's all that matters.

edit: As a side note, all this ribbing between rival companies in this sector seems so tame these days.  I definitely like it better but it's not half as entertaining.

The thing is you cant trust what people say on the internet.  I could say the x1 sucks but still buy it.  By them going with what they wanted at first it allowed them to trully see that no one wanted what they were doing so they changed accordingly

riderz13371 said:
JayWood2010 said:

If Microsoft was in the same position as Sony, do you feel that they wouldn't do these type of things?

Can you show me where Microsoft or Nintendo trolled competitors during a scripted event?  MSFT/Nintendo has had plenty of opportunities to do the same because yes Sony has made plenty of mistakes themselves.

JayWood2010 said:
iceboy151 said:
  JayWood2010 said:

How is it unprofessional?

Sony is trying to get people to buy the PS4 instead of Xbone. They are saying MS can chop and change policies and direction at any time. While sony has not. These consoles are in direct competition, how is it out of place to tell people you are the better brand?

Also it wasnt just making fun. They are simply saying they are better. Its quite a different thing. Andrew house looked dead serious when he said it.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

JayWood2010 said:
riderz13371 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Can you show me where Microsoft or Nintendo trolled competitors during a scripted event?  MSFT/Nintendo has had plenty of opportunities to do the same because yes Sony has made plenty of mistakes themselves.

http://n4g.com/news/1337610/microsoft-mocks-sony-at-their-gamescom-showcase

riderz13371 said:
JayWood2010 said:
riderz13371 said:
JayWood2010 said:

http://n4g.com/news/1337610/microsoft-mocks-sony-at-their-gamescom-showcase

Was that making fun of Sony?  That is something that has been in the news for months now of what indie developers were wanting MSFT to do.