By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Phil Spencer responds to Sony's 'dig' at Gamescom

JayWood2010 said:
Shinobi-san said:

How is it unprofessional?

Sony is trying to get people to buy the PS4 instead of Xbone. They are saying MS can chop and change policies and direction at any time. While sony has not. These consoles are in direct competition, how is it out of place to tell people you are the better brand?

Also it wasnt just making fun. They are simply saying they are better. Its quite a different thing. Andrew house looked dead serious when he said it.

Would you consider it professional if Microsoft said  you should play Xbox Live because Sony allowed 80 million accounts to be hacked.  Or would it have been cool if MSFT and Nintendo back in 2006 said Buy our console and unlike sony, you dont have to pay an arm and a leg for it.

Would that be considered professional as well?

LOL you make as if nothing was said over the years.

Yeah those comments are all fair game. If a company fucks up...other companies need to play off of it to their advantage. When a company shows a weakness, thats the perfect time to show your strengths.

If MS said people should play Live because your Sony account got hacked then thats fine (in fact a lot of people did just that ). That doesnt mean MS is happy that people's accounts got hacked. Its not like they saying "See what happens when you support sony you get your shit stolen! you get what you deserve idiots!" now that would be unprofessional. Companies DO MUCH worse stuff all in the name of competition....the worst i've seen in the gaming industry amongst the bigthree is just highlighting strengths when one of the other three are showing weakness. Why wouldnt you do that? Thats the whole point.

You blowing this waaay out of proportion just because MS is on the receiving end.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

Around the Network
JayWood2010 said:
riderz13371 said:
JayWood2010 said:

Can you show me where Microsoft or Nintendo trolled competitors during a scripted event?  MSFT/Nintendo has had plenty of opportunities to do the same because yes Sony has made plenty of mistakes themselves.

http://n4g.com/news/1337610/microsoft-mocks-sony-at-their-gamescom-showcase

Was that making fun of Sony?  That is something that has been in the news for months now of what indie developers were wanting MSFT to do.

This what is Called Mocking, I believe the only difference between the two was that Sony had the guts to come right out and Say It, where as with this Video MS said it behind a Closed Door Press event.

JayWood2010 said:
Very good and professional response. Glad one of them kept it professional.

Why do you want them to keep it professional?  Its way funner when they take jabs and attack each other, like the old days lol.

Shinobi-san said:

You blowing this waaay out of proportion just because MS is on the receiving end.

No, I simply dont like the arrogance.  Same reason i get annoyed with fanboys.  Ive stated multiple times i like sony games (A lot) but sony's hardcore fans annoy me.  Xbox's hardcore fans annoy me as well but from my experience it has always been Sony fans rallying the internet.  And the last thing i want to see is a company start to act like the childish fanwars we see here on the internet.

Now you can go search through my comments if you want.  I have plenty of good things to say about Sony(most recently Rine being the best game I saw at Gamescom) but here I will say they acted childish.  I did not per take in the E3 oh my god MSFT is horrible and Sony are amazing because what they said discussion because while i thought it was unprofessional it was also relevant.  MSFT was wrong and their policies was wrong (mainly talking about the 24h checkin that I stated myself that i disagreed with). 

Just because I make a comment every once and a while and say i dont like something or disagree with something doesn't mean im siding with a company every time they do something.

6-13-13 Closed poll on amazon shows amazon consumers preferring ps4 95% to 5%
6-16-13 Report turns up saying ps4 outperforming in preorders 5-1
6-18-13 Gamestop stops carrying preorders on xb1
6-19-13 Xbox180

Nice two-way conversation that wouldn't have happened had you actually made a platform for gamers.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:

I agree with him in the sense that it's better that MS have listened to what consumers want and I totally respect that. It's very much the right thing to do.

The problem I have with it is - how did they come up with this console which consumers had to make so much noise about changing in the first place? It makes all this talk about "two-way conversations" seem like it's something they've just implemented. We're listening to you now (but, we weren't going to listen to you when we started).

Still, as long as they get to the right place in the end then that's all that matters.

edit: As a side note, all this ribbing between rival companies in this sector seems so tame these days.  I definitely like it better but it's not half as entertaining.

People don't like change. I think his comment was really professional. I like the DRM policies, accept the 24 hour check in. That should have been once a month or once ever 2 weeks. The part i did like was the family sharing, if me and my friends where allowed to put together our library, I don't think we would be missing many games. It would have been epic. So I was willing to deal with the trade off for that. People didn't see how many games they could have played.  Either way they did listen and that sometimes is key. People can be sure that MS is listening in the future and can expect them to read the postcards and concerns of the consumer.

This is the classiest response I have heard him give. NAILED IT>

riderz13371 said:
MoHasanie said:
Sony's been quite rude ever since the Xbox One launched and its very immature of them. However its not uncommon for competing companies to act like this, but Sony and MS aren't exactly enemies like Apple and Samsung, or Airbus and Boeing.

Rude?!?! You guys were thanking them before and now all of a sudden Sony is rude...=(

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=166550&page=1

Yea but you guys haven't stopped and most of us where not thanking you guys. I didn't care either way. I like the family sharing. However this non-stop MS bashing has got rather ridiculous, you must say.  

JayWood2010 said:
riderz13371 said:
JayWood2010 said:

If Microsoft was in the same position as Sony, do you feel that they wouldn't do these type of things?

Can you show me where Microsoft or Nintendo trolled competitors during a scripted event?  MSFT/Nintendo has had plenty of opportunities to do the same because yes Sony has made plenty of mistakes themselves.

Here is one of the earlier Quotes from MS attacking Sony, Peter Moore - " The Sony Playstation 3 Will be Inferior to the Xbox 360"
Source- 
http://theconsolewars.blogspot.com/2005/12/microsoft-boss-attacks-sony-ps3.html
(sry forgive the source as it is quite old but still credible)
Now to me this sounds just as bad or even worse than what Sony did, atleast Sony did Not Directly Point fingers at MS where as in this Quote it was more than clear what MS were trying to do.

JayWood2010 said:
Shinobi-san said:

No, I simply dont like the arrogance.  Same reason i get annoyed with fanboys.  Ive stated multiple times i like sony games (A lot) but sony's hardcore fans annoy me.  Xbox's hardcore fans annoy me as well but from my experience it has always been Sony fans rallying the internet.  And the last thing i want to see is a company start to act like the childish fanwars we see here on the internet.

Now you can go search through my comments if you want.  I have plenty of good things to say about Sony(most recently Rine being the best game I saw at Gamescom) but here I will say they acted childish.  I did not per take in the E3 oh my god MSFT is horrible and Sony are amazing because what they said discussion because while i thought it was unprofessional it was also relevant.  MSFT was wrong and their policies was wrong (mainly talking about the 24h checkin that I stated myself that i disagreed with). 

Just because I make a comment every once and a while and say i dont like something or disagree with something doesn't mean im siding with a company every time they do something.

It's not arrogance.

Sony is saying they are better and giving reasons why. They want people to buy a PS4 instead of the Xbone. They are giving people a reason why to go with Sony. Its a legit thing to say at a public conference. Where gamers are the audience.

I really fail to see how this is arrogance. They are promoting the good decisions they made this year and outright saying they did better than the competition. I cant see why anyone would criticise this unless you have some sort of bias. It would be stupid of Sony to not use this, especially given the decisions they've made this year.

Also the fact that you distinguish between Xbox fanboys and Sony fanboys calling one side worse pretty much says it all. And you still havent really given a proper reason why what they said at gamescom is unprofessional or childish.

In case you missed what exactly Andrew House said:

"while others have shifted their message and changed their story, we were consistant in mainiting policies and a model that are in tune with consumers desires"

Please tell me how that is unprofessional and childish? It wasnt rude, it wasnt a lie, they wernt making unnecessary fun of MS etc.

Intel Core i7 3770K [3.5GHz]|MSI Big Bang Z77 Mpower|Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1866 2 x 4GB|MSI GeForce GTX 560 ti Twin Frozr 2|OCZ Vertex 4 128GB|Corsair HX750|Cooler Master CM 690II Advanced|

lame response. seems more like damage control.

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5