By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Shadow of the Beast announced for PS4

huiii said:
ghettoglamour said:
Is this an indie game? Who is developing it?

Haevy Spectrum is the developer, we're not yet sure if it's a full game or not.

http://www.heavyspectrum.com/

The old game can hardly be described as a full game, too :)

Around the Network
walsufnir said:

Unfortunately i was too young to enjoy the original :(

I am looking forward to this though and don't particularly care if it's a DL game or not, i've been haveing some great expirience with DL games lately. In fact the thing that excites me most about the ps4 are the indie games (and witcher 3).

huiii said:
ghettoglamour said:
Is this an indie game? Who is developing it?

Haevy Spectrum is the developer, we're not yet sure if it's a full game or not.

http://www.heavyspectrum.com/

"From the makers of the highly acclaimed games Bullion Blitz and Pussyball"... Hmm, this developer doesn't make me really confident about the game. Let's wait and see.

Game of the year 2017 so far:

5. Resident Evil VII
4. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
3. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy
2. Horizon Zero Dawn
1. Super Mario Odyssey

huiii said:
walsufnir said:

Unfortunately i was too young to enjoy the original :(

I am looking forward to this though and don't particularly care if it's a DL game or not, i've been haveing some great expirience with DL games lately. In fact the thing that excites me most about the ps4 are the indie games (and witcher 3).

I recommend the two videos on page 4 that I posted. The game was ported to many systems but I can hardly recommend you to play it nowadays. It is way too hard by nowadays standards because of clumsy controls and overall is quite hard.

Seems there are more older gamers on GAF then here. They also love the atmosphere in the game and hope that it transports to the revival.

Around the Network

Looks good, based on what? It's just a trailer without gameplay.

Another trailer from the original, showing a lot of ports!

walsufnir said:

Damn that's some real oldschool right there! :D 

I wonder how do they want to transport the game to modern standards.

So it is happening...PS4 preorder.

Greatness Awaits!

eFKac said:
walsufnir said:

Damn that's some real oldschool right there! :D 

I wonder how do they want to transport the game to modern standards.

I could say "go grab an emulator for like Genesis, get the rom and play it" but in current standards the game just isn't playable anymore, unless you memorize every second or you use save-states.

But my point stands: The atmosphere due to the music, the whole setting, the very good graphics back then were mind-blowing! Don't ask me how many times I had to try to finish this hell of a game on Master System, Genesis and Amiga. Even worse, they all played different and had different enemies! Basically somehow the same but still different in a lethal way!

walsufnir said:

I think I belong to the very few ones that ever played the original, developed by Psygnosis (WipeOut PSX).
I played and finished it on Master System, Amiga and Genesis. What made this game so outstanding to me back then?
Atmosphere. The music-theme was so... I can't really describe. It was mysterious, perfectly fitting to the art-style, and something I can still listen to today.
The game itself was... well, not really bad, but controls were really horrible. It had a little lag, character moved too stiff, collision detection was really bad. The "story" itself was quite interesting though but definitely lacked more info.
Still to me a videogaming gem with outstanding visuals back then and I hope this game can live up to my very high expectations.

Edit: A yt-vid with the original music-theme:

YOU GET OUT OF MY BRAIN, MAN.

I literally linked that exact same song on my profile (go check, if you want!) when I heard the announcement :)

And I agree with everything you said about the game.  Atmosphere was what made the game great; the game itself was lacking.

Just one interesting thing to point out, though - the game was published by Psygnosis, but it was actually developed by Reflections.  Who went on to make Destruction Derby on the PS1, followed by the Driver series.  They were bought out by Ubisoft a few years ago.