By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I Don't Understand Why People are Asking for a Wii U Pricecut

Would you buy a Wii U for it's current price of $300 or $350?

Yes 55 42.64%

No 74 57.36%

Total:129
Angelv577 said:
I'm sorry, it is very hard for me to pay more for a console that until now, the games graphics don't look better than current gen console despite knowing it could look better eventually. Additionally I can play those games very well without the tablet controller so I don't see the selling point on it. Like last generation, never cared about new controller experience, I won't start caring now. I'm happy with traditional controller.

In other words, a console that's more expensive than current gen even though it is providing same quality graphics than current gen plus never caring for new controller experience equal to wait for a price cut.

did you buy the PSX later in it's life then?

Around the Network
cheesecake said:
me neither honestly. the WiiU costs 300$ at the basic set (even 149$ right now at some places). and you get free online. the PS4 is 400$ and you need to pay 50 bucks yearly. if the console gen lasts 10 years as some people say, then that'd mean that you have to pay 600$ extra (for 100$ price difference, and the 500$ from paying for online).

Not to mention the money you're gonna have to spend on the worth-buying games on each system. While it's a very low value on Wii U, the PS4 and the One wll require you to spend more money on games. Wii U does not need a price cut at all.

I wouldn't buy it even if it was $100

cheesecake said:
Angelv577 said:
I'm sorry, it is very hard for me to pay more for a console that until now, the games graphics don't look better than current gen console despite knowing it could look better eventually. Additionally I can play those games very well without the tablet controller so I don't see the selling point on it. Like last generation, never cared about new controller experience, I won't start caring now. I'm happy with traditional controller.

In other words, a console that's more expensive than current gen even though it is providing same quality graphics than current gen plus never caring for new controller experience equal to wait for a price cut.

did you buy the PSX later in it's life then?

Yes, but at that time, i relied totally on my father money, so even if i want it, i couldn't afford one.  Besides, my thoughts from that time differ greatly from today.

It's a hard sell when the $400 PS4 is only $50 more expensive than the almost-mandatory $350 32gb Wii U Deluxe. To date I have not seen a single Wii U game that looks as good as The Last of Us and multiplats have generally been either exactly the same (Assassin's Creed 3, Mass Effect 3), a little better (Need for Speed Most Wanted), or a little worse (Arkham City, Black Ops 2, Darksiders 2, Resident Evil: Revelations) than PS3/Xbox 360. You can blame third-party developers for not fully utilizing the Wii U's "true power", but at the end of the day no one is going to confuse Assassin's Creed 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, or Watch Dogs on PS4/Xbox One with it's Wii U counterpart. Some people forget while the Wii U's graphics may improve over time, so will the PS4 and Xbox One.

So with a console that's basically exactly the same graphical fidelity as a $200 12gb PS3 or $200 4gb Xbox 360, it's hard to sell a $300 8gb Wii U or $350 32gb Wii U. Having a tablet controller does not make up for the system having less than a quarter of the game libraries that the PS3 or Xbox 360 boast.

But more important than anything is the games. The Wii U is already a must buy for me because of X (I'm a huge fan of the Xeno series). Having a co-op Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Pikmin 3 that I can play with my girlfriend is a great addition as well. Yeah, I don't like the price, and neither to a lot of people, but if Nintendo delivers games properly, there'll be a lot more people like me buying the WIi U for that special something.

Desktop: AMD Phenom X4 955, ATI Radeon 7950 :: Laptop: Intel i7-3532QM, ATI Radeon 7670m

Consoles: 3DS XL, PS Vita, Zelda 3DS, PS3 Super Slim, DSi, PSP Go, PS3 Fat, Wii, GameCube, PS2

Now Playing: Metroid Prime 2, Dark Souls, Fallout: New Vegas, The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages, Persona 4: Golden

Around the Network

The extra $50 is stopping me from getting it (I only want the pro version).

So if there's some great deals come Black Friday/Cyber Monday, I'll finally nab one.

theshonen8899 said:

It's a hard sell when the $400 PS4 is only $50 more expensive than the almost-mandatory $350 32gb Wii U Deluxe. To date I have not seen a single Wii U game that looks as good as The Last of Us and multiplats have generally been either exactly the same (Assassin's Creed 3, Mass Effect 3), a little better (Need for Speed Most Wanted), or a little worse (Arkham City, Black Ops 2, Darksiders 2, Resident Evil: Revelations) than PS3/Xbox 360. You can blame third-party developers for not fully utilizing the Wii U's "true power", but at the end of the day no one is going to confuse Assassin's Creed 4, Call of Duty: Ghosts, or Watch Dogs on PS4/Xbox One with it's Wii U counterpart. Some people forget while the Wii U's graphics may improve over time, so will the PS4 and Xbox One.

So with a console that's basically exactly the same graphical fidelity as a $200 12gb PS3 or $200 4gb Xbox 360, it's hard to sell a $300 8gb Wii U or $350 32gb Wii U. Having a tablet controller does not make up for the system having less than a quarter of the game libraries that the PS3 or Xbox 360 boast.

But more important than anything is the games. The Wii U is already a must buy for me because of X (I'm a huge fan of the Xeno series). Having a co-op Super Mario 3D World, Mario Kart 8, and Pikmin 3 that I can play with my girlfriend is a great addition as well. Yeah, I don't like the price, and neither to a lot of people, but if Nintendo delivers games properly, there'll be a lot more people like me buying the WIi U for that special something.

in reality, that 50 bucks is a lot more when you consider how much you need to pay for online

Speaking personally, I don't see the potential inherent in the controls even after trying them, and I place little value on things like Off-TV play or "asymetric gameplay."

I've actually seen quite a few people purchasing the console and products lately at gamestop

Talal said:
I will permaban myself if the game releases in 2014.

in reference to KH3 release date

Well, frankly speaking, a price-cut is seen as a way to spur sales. Whether or not you think it's worth the price it's at now is irrelevant. The hardware isn't selling.

That being said, I don't think the Wii U really needs a price-cut. What it NEEDS is a top-level piece of software that it can throw into an irresistible bundle with a lot of value to the customer. Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. More than anything, Nintendo's big screw-up for 2013 will be the lack of a heavy hitter in time for the holiday season. That could have wiped away the earlier drought and helped cushioned the launch of the PS4/XO. Unfortunately, they whiffed on that one in unbelievable fashion. Well, Scram Kitty and his Buddy on Rails is scheduled for Q4 but there isn't much besides that.

So, Plan B. A price cut might swing some sales over the holidays from the parents who are looking for the cheapest console. However, I don't think that's going to win many gamers, to be honest. Better that they jam a couple of new games into a bundle at no extra cost, I think. Actually entice people rather than try to win simply because you're cheaper. Even if they do cut the price, it still won't be cheap--I think the PS3, the 360, and even the Wii are going to be stiff competition on that front.

No, honestly, I think Nintendo should wait on at price cut until they can afford to do so. That will leave the Wii U in limbo, it's true, but if they can time that price cut at the same time their top franchises release, they could possibly begin to build some momentum.