By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I Don't Understand Why People are Asking for a Wii U Pricecut

Would you buy a Wii U for it's current price of $300 or $350?

Yes 55 42.64%

No 74 57.36%

Total:129

(Glitch, please delete)

Around the Network

Wii U doesn't need a price cut, not yet anyway.
What it needs are desirable games; Pikmin 3 is a good start, and with Wind Waker HD, Donkey Kong Country, Mario Kart, Smash Bros, etc on the way, sales will improve.
If a console doesn't have a strong library, it won't sell no matter how cheap it is. Cutting the price would do little to spur sales and only make Nintendo bleed money on each unit sold.

Half price and a stack of quality games and I may consider a purchase of the Wii U at $150. Two or three year wait for that to happen. The Wii U's price needs to drop to $250 and make it more attractive in comparison to the more powerful competitors in the PS4 and XBox One both launching within 3 months.

i dont think the wii u is over expensive for its value it has really great value for the price im just saying they need to cut the price for business practices if they want it to sell well

Here's the issue with "it just needs games" ... yes sure it needs games ... but by "games" that means it needs the main line Call of Duty that CoD players actually want to play on (and Nintendo doesn't have the online community most CoD players want). It needs Final Fantasy XV. It needs MGSV. It needs BioShock Infinite. It needs GTAV. It needs Battlefield 4. It needs FIFA and NHL and Madden.

Just having Nintendo franchises isn't enough. My personal feeling too is if CoD/AC/Batman don't sell that great this holiday, even Ubi Soft and Activision will begin to bail on the platform, so dropping the price in 2014 does basically dick all. The few companies that are supporting Nintendo will want to see results this Christmas, not post-Mario Kart 8.

When you are asking people to pay $250-$350+ you are asking for "primary console money" ... that means you're asking for an amount where the audience (rightly so) is going to expect the system to be their main go-to console for all types of games.

$350 is not a "hey, but this as your secondary console for the occasional Mario/Zelda fix you get!" and it doesn't have the hook the original Wii did either.

THAT is the problem with the $350 price point. Even $300 is a problem. $200 is better, some people still will not bite at this price even with all the Nintendo IP there, but at least you might get some people to buy it as their secondary console.

Around the Network

I think a price cut is needed for 2 reasons:

1. The competition. With the new gen consoles out the price difference might not feel justified when looking at the graphical output of the other platforms. Realise that with 100 more euros/dollars you can get a much higher tech Playstation 4.

2. Calling atention to the games. The advertisement. A price cut means advertisement, and with great games coming out for the Wii U this is a great excuse to give the consumer good reasons to buy a Wii U not just with a lower price point but a great line-up. (Zelda, mario, sonic, etc.)

I am pretty sure the Wii U would rebound with it, but im not sure Nintendo is willing to take the loss to turn it around. They should though. It gives publisher more confidence to release their titles.
Very importantly though: I want both the Wii U and Vita to turn around so Pachter is completely discredited in front of everyone. That guy is never right, claims things before he can claim them and comes in the internet to try and make them happen with his statements, skewing the public opinion to try and influence his predictions. I dont dislike him personally, but his agenda is unecessary and he needs to go off the public eye.

I already own a wii u and yes, it needs a price cut. It needs tons of other things too, but its price is a big problem.

Would you have said the 3DS didn't need a price drop?

Worth it for Pikmin.

Currently playing:

Bloodbath Paddy Wagon Ultra 9

Convince people that the second screen is all that and a bag of chips, to the extent that having superior specs for $50 more in the PS4 isn't something more desirable than the second screen and inferior specs.

Take away the advantage of the second screen and you are left with trying to justify buying it at its current price point.

Honestly, they wasted production on the basic model and should have sold the 32 GB vanilla Wii U as the standard one for $300 with a $350 bundle being for those that want Nintendoland and a few extras.

Granted they wanted Nintendoland and the 32 GB to be standard and showcase the system but as nice of a party game as Nintendoland is, it doesn't really showcase the Wii U GamePad as being anything necessary. Among a group of children, it proves to be something of a divide in my experience, which hurts the system's approach of it being a family device when dealing with kids that have yet to learn patience or sharing playing. A price cut of $50 on the most desirable unit given the lack of software and just overall handling of the launch seems to be a good way to stimulate sales when you finally do get software that might sell the system... but does nothing to sell people on the GamePad.