By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - General Discussion - Advice Needed

I'm thinking on starting a youtube channel and wanted to get some feedback before I do so, to see if there is any interest in it.

The videos would be about how to cheaply get into gamedevelopment. I would cover the basics and point the users to free resources to get more. I will also show them free-to-cheap legally obtained development tools. I would maybe latter go into more depth on some topics.

I was also planning to something like a series of story telling videos where I would sit there and tell a story using just an outline. Plus maybe some video game editoral etc, which I think a  little overdone on youtube so I wasn't considering making it the focus of the channel.

So what do you guys think?

Around the Network

If you can speak from a professional perspective, it could be worth pursuing. So if you know what you're doing, and can offer something above and beyond what someone can get from their own research, then you can appeal to those people.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Mythmaker1 said:
If you can speak from a professional perspective, it could be worth pursuing. So if you know what you're doing, and can offer something above and beyond what someone can get from their own research, then you can appeal to those people.

I went to school for game development, mainly to make a hobby, but ended up thinking through out the think I could of done this a lot cheaper. A recource like I'm planning on doing whould of saved me a lot of trouble.

BlkPaladin said:
Mythmaker1 said:

I went to school for game development, mainly to make a hobby, but ended up thinking through out the think I could of done this a lot cheaper. A recource like I'm planning on doing whould of saved me a lot of trouble.

Personal experience is good. If you can offer some solid insight, you can probably make that a thing.

I would suggest, though, that you have something for broader appeal as well. Not just to diversify your audience, but to help bring in the kind of people who would benefit from your insight.

I believe in honesty, civility, generosity, practicality, and impartiality.

Kind of sounds like Extra Credits, or are you just going to talk about the technical side?

Sigs are dumb. And so are you!

Around the Network

You should target the misconceptions of those starting out

- To prove to someone your project is worth investing in or working on, you need to do the programming for a demo and at least placeholder art. "Designing" means producing a full and analytical document of every aspect of the game, not just writing the story.
- You can't just be an "ideas guy"
- What you produce at first is likely to be very bad. Take constructive criticism seriously

Fusioncode said:
Kind of sounds like Extra Credits, or are you just going to talk about the technical side?

I will be going more indepth, though not as stylised, going to do this in the flesh.

On that topic I was thinking on doing a video on how to play like a developer. Extra credit did an episode on it. But it will help to actuall see it in action. It definally isn't as glamourous as the commercials make it out to be. (For those tech schools) Though it can be fun in it own right. I'm driving my little brother up the wall point out what I would do to make some mobile games better.

Soleron said:

You should target the misconceptions of those starting out

- To prove to someone your project is worth investing in or working on, you need to do the programming for a demo and at least placeholder art. "Designing" means producing a full and analytical document of every aspect of the game, not just writing the story.
- You can't just be an "ideas guy"
- What you produce at first is likely to be very bad. Take constructive criticism seriously

You should watch Mark Cerny's METHOD, as well as the conferences that Jonathan Blow gave througout the last few years.

Well since I'm getting positive feedback from this and the other places I have asked about this I will do it. I probably will not be up and running this week but soon. (I have most, if not all the equipment I need to make decent videos. I have to write up a script and practice it and set up my account for it on youtube.

BlkPaladin said:
Well since I'm getting positive feedback from this and the other places I have asked about this I will do it. I probably will not be up and running this week but soon. (I have most, if not all the equipment I need to make decent videos. I have to write up a script and practice it and set up my account for it on youtube.

Good luck, I hope it goes well.

Feel free to link it in your sig and make a thread for it when the first video is up.

(Former) Lead Moderator and (Eternal) VGC Detective