By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - LEO-J prediction: IF PS4 launches in OCTOBER, PS4 WILL GO TO #1 BY THE END OF 2013

Zero999 said:
JoeTheBro said:
eFKac said:

ps4 and xone can do whatever they want this holidays, it won't affect wii u sales. and it's funny that you think wii u needs a 199 price but two machines with less games will do ok at 399 and 499.

PS3 and 360 have been keeping the Wii U at bay all year until Pikmin came out. The highest point of the Wii U's release was November to January and then it stopped.

Around the Network

I hope it will sell that much, but that would be crazy if it did.

archbrix said:
Piernik said:

In the last two months of 2001 Sony sold 3.000.000 of PS2. And now the market is bigger.
They could easly sell 6 millions worldwide from October 1st.

Comparing the PS4's launch situation to the PS2's is erroneous.

- The PS2 didn't have last gen competition as strong as PS360.

- The PS2 had DVD playback as a selling point, which was a big deal at that time.

- The PS2 had zero competition launching the same holiday.

- The PS2 was a full $100 cheaper.

In short, the PS2 had a lot more hype regarding people willing to upgrade immediately at launch; Sega and Nintendo had just been massively bested in sales by Sony in the previous gen, and Microsoft was a brand new player in the gen starting, so Sony was poised as the safe bet from the get-go.

In order for the PS4 to "easily" sell that many units it would need the hype equivalent of the PS2 or the Wii from everybody, not just the core fans on forums.

PS2 was limited by stock. In fact it was chaos trying to find one because they under shipped.

Is good to see that you still visit the site joel but I really dont believe there will be the shipments to support that kind of sales, 6-7 million in a little over two months is overkill for any console, let alone a just launched one

no. just no. 4M in 2013 would be amazing. 6-7M is impossible.

Around the Network
JoeTheBro said:
archbrix said:
Piernik said:

In the last two months of 2001 Sony sold 3.000.000 of PS2. And now the market is bigger.

- The PS2 had DVD playback as a selling point, which was a big deal at that time.

In short, the PS2 had a lot more hype regarding people willing to upgrade immediately at launch; Sega and Nintendo had just been massively bested in sales by Sony in the previous gen, and Microsoft was a brand new player in the gen starting, so Sony was poised as the safe bet from the get-go.

In order for the PS4 to "easily" sell that many units it would need the hype equivalent of the PS2 or the Wii from everybody, not just the core fans on forums.

PS2 was limited by stock. In fact it was chaos trying to find one because they under shipped.

Of course it was - just like the Wii - but that doesn't change my point.

I think someone said that Sony could manufacture 1 million a month. So if they started in late august (let's say they didnt make any), they are going to struggle to get 4-5 million consoles made between now and end of december.

So i dont think its likely. Something that I think:

I think the PS4 will sell very well between launch/end of year (it will sell more than wii-u did last year)
I think Wii-u wont sell much over Christmas and the games that do release will not have a big impact
PS4 will pass the Wii-u sometime next year... probably early (march)

Making an indie game : Dead of Day!

archbrix said:
JoeTheBro said:
archbrix said:
Piernik said:

True, it just invalidates it.

JoeTheBro said:
archbrix said:
JoeTheBro said

True, it just invalidates it.

Incorrect.  You've clearly missed my point entirely.

I agree... pretty good prediction.