By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - "PS4 preorders trending about 4:1 ahead of One in NA" - famousmortimer (rumour)

prayformojo said:

I believe I called it. People who are too young to remember or have short attention spans, Playstation DOMINATED the US for more then a decade (1995-2006). I know it's a very small sample size, but in MY personal life and working in retail for the last few years, I have seen a sea shift towards the Playstation 3. It's really weird because from 2006-2009ish, just SAYING "PS3" was difficult without it being met with disdain. Now, it seems like every where I look, kids are playing Playstation again lol.

This generation is going to be to Sony what the PS1 generation was. They're going to win the US and win by a large margin. Whether it's due to their competitors failures, their genius, or both, that's the way I see it going this gen.

Playstation is back.

You in the U.S.?  Cause our numbers have the PS3 still selling significantly less than the 360 there.  

Around the Network

Not surprising. Some maybe surprised, their mistake.

Sometimes people are foolish and think the Xbox brand is bigger than the Playstation brand. Perhaps they messed up and looked at the Playstation brand only from late 2006 to mid 2009? Or they only looked at console sales in NA for the last 5 years? Either way, their mistake.

Here's something to think about. Sony was at it's worst... absolute worst with the PS3. They revealed it and told everyone to get a second job. They released it and had inferior multiplatform games because of the difficult development of games. It was more expensive then the competition. And the didn't right the ship until almost 4 years after launch. Sony was at it's absolute worst with the PS3.

And they still beat Xbox in console sales...

Sony has shown it can come back. Time will tell if Microsoft can. They got the money for sure lol

But why does anyone expect Xbox One to outsell the competition anyway? The first Xbox barely beat the Gamecube ( only 2-3 million more ) and got stomped by the PS2. The 360 got a year and about 8 million units head start, and still sits in last place behind the PS3 and Wii.

So why was this coming gen going to be different by default???

Does this include Pre orders from the MS store also?

darkknightkryta said:
prayformojo said:

I believe I called it. People who are too young to remember or have short attention spans, Playstation DOMINATED the US for more then a decade (1995-2006). I know it's a very small sample size, but in MY personal life and working in retail for the last few years, I have seen a sea shift towards the Playstation 3. It's really weird because from 2006-2009ish, just SAYING "PS3" was difficult without it being met with disdain. Now, it seems like every where I look, kids are playing Playstation again lol.

This generation is going to be to Sony what the PS1 generation was. They're going to win the US and win by a large margin. Whether it's due to their competitors failures, their genius, or both, that's the way I see it going this gen.

Playstation is back.

You in the U.S.?  Cause our numbers have the PS3 still selling significantly less than the 360 there.  

Yes, but I think that's in large part due to the kinect crowd. Obviously, these are just my guesses and opionins, but working retail and paying attention to buyer trends, I noticed that most of the gamers wanted PS3 and the 360's, they were selling to moms. Since I started my new job in October, I can only think of one time I had a question about an Xbox, or Xbox games, from someone I'd say was a gamer. The opposite is true for the PS3. The nerds, the hard core gamers, the college kids, they were always asking "do you have any new PS3 games in". It was really weird because like you said, our numbers show otherwise. The only conclusion I can come to is the casual effect. We all know how Kinect had an impact on their image etc.

I honestly believe the PS brand is THE brand again in the US. I think casual gaming is dying off and we're going back to the PS2/Xbox/Gamecube days where it's core gamers that win the day and that's why the Wii-U and Xbox One are stuggling. I mean, what's the ONE thing PS3 gambled on correctly? Core gamers. They made Move, but didn't sell out with it to the point of rebranding their entire image. I think that paid off and we're going to see the return of PS dominance which is good because it means the other two will have to follow suit and nothings better for gamers than core games, right?

What does my avatar have to do with the fact that Sony isn't shipping 4 times as many consoles in the US as Microsoft?

Around the Network
S.T.A.G.E. said:
3:1 sounds right but 4:1 is crazy. If thats true, its not good for MS even in America. If they lose America they have no hope of beating Sony.

why do they need to beat sony?  they just need to sell enough console to stay in the black and recover R&D.  unless they capture new casuals they will never recover

tuscaniman99 said:
What does my avatar have to do with the fact that Sony isn't shipping 4 times as many consoles in the US as Microsoft?

Click the quote button next to a post :)

Also Sony probably is making 4 times as many consoles, but they aren't going just to America. Microsoft pushed back launch in a bunch of territories to have more units for US while Sony kept adding countries.

tres said:
S.T.A.G.E. said:
3:1 sounds right but 4:1 is crazy. If thats true, its not good for MS even in America. If they lose America they have no hope of beating Sony.

why do they need to beat sony?  they just need to sell enough console to stay in the black and recover R&D.  unless they capture new casuals they will never recover

What do you think Microsoft in the gaming industry for? If you understand that, then you will understand why it matters. They all focus on profitability but at this point they've made a name to the point where they will get it more often than not. MS came into the industry to stop Sony's dominance. Look at any documentary on the history of the Xbox. 

Quote doesn't work for me for some reason.

@JoeTheBro
Maybe Sony is making 4 times as many consoles but this rumored 4:1 figure is for North America and Sony is not shipping 4 times as many consoles as MS in North America.