Awesome!! Day one. 82 23.03%

Meh. Don't care. 53 14.89%

Sony, WTF are you doing with Vita? 182 51.12%

See results. 39 10.96%

Total:356
Kresnik said:
BasilZero said:
Signalstar said:
Wait I'm confused. Wasn't EyePet Sony's Nintendogs rip-off? Now they have two? This is just like Crash Team Racing and LittleBigPlanet Karting all over again. Shame on Sony for making games in a genre Nintendo already has.

Sony's not making the game.

Watch the video again.  Sony are publishing; XDev are assisting development.  This is a Sony-made title; unless you want to argue that the original LittleBigPlanet and things like Heavenly Sword aren't Sony games.

Doesn't really matter. Eyepetz, PSV Petz and Nintendogs are basically all ripoffs.

Around the Network
Kresnik said:
JWeinCom said:

That won't really work, because Sony has nothing else for kids.  If you're a kid, are you going to buy the system with Playstation Vita Pets, Little Big Planet, PSASBR, and Ratchet and Clank, or are you going to buy the system with Nintendogs, Mario 3D Land, New Super Mario Bros, Mario Kart, Mario Party, Lego City Undercover, Animal Crossing, Luigi's Mansion, Donkey Kong Country, Style Savvy, etc? 

I'm sure you could've done better than that with just a few minutes of research.  Sly Cooper; Tearaway; Invizimals etc. would be the games I'd use to highlight Sony trying to skew younger, not PSABR.

And that's another point - a year ago saying "Sony has nothing else for kids", I'd agree.  Today, I honestly can't agree anymore.  Most of what Sony has done this year has been focused on a younger audience.  Even porting things like Epic Mickey 2 across - makes no sense really, but in the context of "we're filling our console with more child-friendly games" it at least holds up better.

There's no doubt they're not going to beat Nintendo at this demographic.  But equally, they weren't 'winning' anything chasing after their own demographic of older "gamers" wanting a proper handheld.  

Eh... Sony has great stuff for kids this year?  Aside from Epic Mickey, they haven't done anything this year to cater to that audience, and Epic Mickey 2 wasn't appealing to children or anything else.  Sly Cooper seems more aimed at people who played the game on the original PS2.  Of course neither of those games seemed to appeal to kids on the Vita, so the point still stands.  The Vita doesn't have appealing software for kids, and having unappealing kids software doesn't really help their cause.

Why would Sony be willing to publish/fund this knowing it's a copy-cat Nintendo game.

the-pi-guy said:
PigPen said:
Why would Sony be willing to publish/fund this knowing it's a copy-cat Nintendo game.

Yes, because Nintendo invented the artificial pet simulator genre.  

They invented video games.

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

lol

Around the Network
JWeinCom said:

Eh... Sony has great stuff for kids this year?  Aside from Epic Mickey, they haven't done anything this year to cater to that audience, and Epic Mickey 2 wasn't appealing to children or anything else.  Sly Cooper seems more aimed at people who played the game on the original PS2.  Of course neither of those games seemed to appeal to kids on the Vita, so the point still stands.  The Vita doesn't have appealing software for kids, and having unappealing kids software doesn't really help their cause.

Given the fact they were pushing Sly Cooper with an animation short this year, it at least felt like they were aiming to get a younger audience involved.

And again, the point wasn't that they're having crazy successes this year (I agree with you; they're not).  The point is this time last year, they seemingly didn't care about targeting this audience at all.  This year, they are at least attempting it with both games and advertising:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1muJu6flpaA

Maybe it won't work - in fact, I think it probably won't (although achieved some late-in-life success in Europe aiming at kids with Invizimals).  But there's no way of knowing until they try.

the-pi-guy said:

Assisting though, this may not have been their idea.  An indie studio probably presented it to Sony and asked for funding.  Though it's hard to say where assisting starts and where it ends.  This could just be a money thing or they might be actually helping out with other resources.  External Development Studio might not having anything to do with the actual development aside from funding.  

It's called "PLAYSTATION (r) VITA pets"... you really think some indie can have that as title if Sony weren't heavily involved?

Face the future.. Gamecenter ID: nikkom_nl (oh no he didn't!!) 

Kresnik said:
JWeinCom said:

Given the fact they were pushing Sly Cooper with an animation short this year, it at least felt like they were aiming to get a younger audience involved.

And again, the point wasn't that they're having crazy successes this year (I agree with you; they're not).  The point is this time last year, they seemingly didn't care about targeting this audience at all.  This year, they are at least attempting it with both games and advertising:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1muJu6flpaA

Maybe it won't work - in fact, I think it probably won't (although achieved some late-in-life success in Europe aiming at kids with Invizimals).  But there's no way of knowing until they try.

I don't think Ratchet and Clank the movie is gonna be rated 18...

PS One/2/p/3slim/Vita owner. I survived the Apocalyps3/Collaps3 and all I got was this lousy signature.

Xbox One: What are you doing Dave?

Ajescent said:

I don't think Ratchet and Clank the movie is gonna be rated 18...

Okay.  Any particular reason you're telling me this? :P

Talking dogs? lol