By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Pachter: Vita is Dead, PS4 Remote Play Won’t Save it....(What An Idiot)

So Patcher Just Said

Vita Saved 74 15.26%

He's An Idiot 157 32.37%

The truth (trolololo) 205 42.27%

He's Sexy and He Knows It 49 10.10%

Total:485

Why do people quote Patcher?

Around the Network
the-pi-guy said:

Well, yeah, I doubt they'll have plenty. I overstated it.  I think they'll have something or otherwise it was a mistake to call it "a vita show".

As a company, or a representative for it, you are supposed to be positive most, if not all of the time. They might know something we don't, but don't excpect it to be much.

danasider said:

I get that, but what I am saying is that Pachter may be correct on this one thing (even though he has been correct on a few other things like PS4 pricing/Microsoft going back on DRM), but you're keeping your head in the sand to refute what he says just because it's him.  But if you look at the data so far, you'd see that he is only stating the obvious.

The PSP, a handheld from last generation that came in second place,  is tracking ahead of Vita worldwide.  The Vita has less than 15% marketshare of this generation of handhelds!  Handheld sales overall are down, because of the proliferation of the smart phone.  CoD Vita (as shitty as it was, it's still a huge brand) couldn't sell game or console units, because people aren't interested in playing a moblile PS.  These are the things you should be looking at among others when making a stand on the OP, not stating the opposite of what you and many others believe solely for the sake of disagreeing with someone who typically makes outlandish statements.

It's like disagreeing with him for saying the sky is blue just because he said the Wii was doomed.  Sure he was dead wrong about the latter, but that doesn't change that he is correct about the former.  For an average of 12 hours each day, he's right!  You and everyone else disagreeing for disagreement's sake might as well be denying the sky is blue.

And I am not saying Vita being dead in the water is as true as the sky being blue.  Nothing is set in stone when it comes to consoles, and Sony may end up making its money over a (very) long life cycle and/or if they pricecut and push it with bundles, software support, etc.  So far, all that is speculation just like saying the Vita is dead.  My sky scenario was simply illustrating that posing the argument (that something is not true simply because a person claims it to be true) while disregarding the data surrounding that actual premise is plain bad logic.  It's counterintuitive on a website that is about dissemination of sales data.  If you believe the PS Vita will make a comeback, I'd prefer to read well-articulated data or precedent based statements than diving into a sea of hate posts on a guy for stating what appears to be obvious.  Your opinion is still valid because opinions are subjective, but the logic used to arrive at the opinion isn't sound.

No offense or vitriol meant by me, but that's just my perception of all these similar posts that do nothing to intelligently argue the OP.

Michael Pachter I'm sure is a decent financial adviser and what have you, but when it comes to making predictions in the videogame industry - I don't feel his guesses are any more legitimate than any random person on the forums and the margin of error is probably the same. Economics is a science, and Michael Pachter knows a thing or two about it, but it's not a science of guessing. You could use the principles of economics to form an educated guess, but at the end of the day - that's all it is. And saying all that- Michael Pachter makes a lot of guesses, often times sprinkling some "no shit" notions with wild speculation. And yes, I tend to disagree with many of the things Pachter says, but I don't disagree with fact. If he told me, "The sky is blue", I'd believe him and if he told me, "The Vita is a failure" or "the Wii U is not doing well", I'd also believe him.

But when he makes a comment like "The Vita is dead, it's over."  or saying "The WIi is doomed" - statements that are so over the top and dismissive of any other possible outcome- that I have to disagree with it out of sensibility because there's no way to know for sure, especially considering all the variables. Those are the wild speculations - and his track record aren't great on those.

And I hate to be the guy defending the Vita - I don't even own one. I was the guy who thought the Vita was dead on arrival, but hearing about the PS4 functionality made me think there's a slight chance of a second wind. Pachter saying otherwise makes me believe it more, because I know the outcomes of a lot of other predictions he's made. And again- that's not saying he's always wrong - compared to some other industry analysts- he's doing pretty well.

He is right and I own a Vita.

aikohualda said:
michael pachter is the justin bieber of the gaming industry....

He has a lot of teenage fangirls?

Around the Network
Egann said:
The Vita's redeeming feature was always that it was going to have a *very* long console life. Maybe as much as twice that of the 3DS. It will be fine...just give it four or five years.

Yeah, right.

I hope the Vita can survive.

The bottom line is that Sony is going to have to devote a huge amount of resources in terms of marketing and software development to make the Vita a success, and they have shown no inclination to do so. As it stands now, the Vita will be a niche console in Japan, and will be off store shelves by two years in the US.

I feel really bad for the Vita. As a person who games on the 3DS, I fell in love with that HD screen, something I wish the 3DS had, even 480p would've been good enough TBH. The Vita is probably the most mid-handled device in gaming history, atleast the WiiU is getting a lot of fantastic looking games, the Vita is just ignored by Sony...

How on earth is the vita dead? It's doing ok in Japan (the Vita's most important market) that's being made to look bad when compared to the 3ds which is doing awesome in Japan. There is also the price cut coming to the west (let's be fair we know it's coming as Japan has already had its price cut and with the week Yen at the moment and it has a fairly strong crimbo line up as it is but with it being fairly likely that there will be a new AC, COD and NFS game coming (companies won't sniff at 1 mill sales) it's looking an increasingly strong line up. I also think there will be a GTA spin off as 5mill and 7.5mill sales on the psp really aren't to be sniffed at and I think that Rockstar are likely to test the psv waters having seen the psp gta's make oodles of money for them.

There's also Sony Bend who haven't announced anything since UC:GA so my predictions for Gamescon:

Start off on PS3 beginning with a little bit of gameplay for Rain and Beyond 2 Souls then a couple of trailers for Puppeteer and GT6 (pretty sure GT only ever shows trailers at games conferences) 10-15 minutes
then a bit of ps4 stuff (more trailers for the launch titles, perhaps a little gameplay) 10 minutes
Vita- Trailers for some of the japanese games coming out this year and early part of next (some new some old) then a little of KZ:M and Tearaway, then the NFS, COD and AC announcements, then Sony Bend's new vita game, then show off re-design (slightly thinner + 8bg of internal memory) and end the vita stuff with GTA. 30 ish minutes
PS4 - gameplay for Order 1886 couple of game announcements (Guerilla's new ip, SSM's new ip SCE Londons new game and various 3rd party stuff) 30 ish minutes
Then at the end they come out and announce PS3 and Vita price cuts (more certain on vita price cut) to both to $200 in USA, £130 for 12gig and £170 for the 500 gig ps3's and £145/150 for the vita w/o 3g in the UK and 150 EUR for the 12 gig and 200 EUR for the 500 gig ps3's and 170 EUR for the vita w/o 3g in Europe

Or at least that's roughly what I think this years sony gamescom will be and I think there is a good chance of it being 20 or so minutes longer than last years thanks to ps4

Edit: And I think that the PSV will break 10mill unites at the end of this year or be a little shy of that mark (9.5-10.5 mill I think) and the PS3 will hit 83/84 mill by the years end (can't tell for the ps4 yet)