By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - [edit]Wonderful 101, why are so many people saying its racist?

Is it racist?

No! 151 84.36%

yea, a little 28 15.64%

Total:179

Soo the AMAZING Wonderful 101 Nintendo direct was today. It seems like a lot of people not sure about this game is starting to love it... but remember the 7 minute trailer at the end? Well (at least on youtube :P) theres so many people saying its racist. Like when i heard this i said wow... people find any and everything to complainin about.

So the reason is because of the name of one super hero in the game. Have you guessed it yet.

Wonder Black
lol so the claim is that ''its kinda racist that wonderblack is actually black'' (and other comments like that)

link:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V89FKeDwXVM

Do you find it racist that his name is wonderblack?

One people told me its because '' since 2008 america (merica) has fallen into a pit of despair over racism.''

But anyways, what are your thoughts on it?

1)http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/66942812

2)http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-wii-u/66942839?page=1

Edit: Im sorry i forgot to include that the guy isnt even black, hes Indian. it says hes from from india!

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network

Wonderblack is black?

He seems more Indian to me.

And how the hell is this racism? Like the Asian guy is Wonder White? OMFG RACISM!!!!! > .>

NNID: crazy_man

3DS FC: 3969 4633 0700 

My Pokemon Trading Shop (Hidden Power Breeding)

People are crazy.

yess! also the guy isnt even black, hes Indian. it says hes from from india

'Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.'
-Shigeru Miyamoto

Around the Network

People must not know what racism is, it's a belief that one race is superior to another, or animosity towards other races. Neither of those is the case here. People are so flipping sensitive!

.....people are too sensitive :/
Not like Platinum is straight up saying the N word.

Don’t follow the hype, follow the games

— 

Here a little quote I want for those to keep memorize in your head for this coming next gen.                            

By: Suke

The fact that wonder black is black is actually quite funny. The fact that he happens to break dance and spin on his head is stereotyping to the point of offence.

But Platinum is a japanese developer, they've had a clear history of making a mockery of their black characters.

I'd assume it's the intro where he does a break dance, same with Wonder Pink being a little sexist because they did a tits and ass shot. Now you can say, "well that's the individual character, Pink is a model so of course she does those kind of poses, and Black happens to be a break dancer" but as a first initial reaction it does seem a bit odd if nothing else.

edit: actually they can use that explanation on Black but not Pink since they do introduce a couple more women in that trailer and other than the communications officer briefly shown they all have intros like that.  

Yeah, it's hilariously stupid.

My favorite case of this was when some people claimed that Resident Evil 5, which was set in Africa, was racist because you were killing zombies... who were black.

A lack of functioning brain cells, I suppose.